Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:25 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation
Bugs & Thugs - Give me your review

520 point battle tourney comming up. I desided I'd use a rangeless army this time to see what happens.

Sujoah - 185
Fyorlag Spiders X2 -80
Zombies of Morindan X4 - 240
Isamu - 10

Sujoah to take out any squad killing hero types. Fyorlag Spiders to help tie up squad heavy armies a bit. Zombies to slaughter your Squad types. Isamu for glyphs.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Bugs & Thugs - Give me your review

The biggest problem I think you'll have with that army is Order Markers. That might seem a strange criticism considering you really only have two cards that will use a lot of markers- the Spiders and the Zombies. But it's my experience that both of those units need constant order markers to be successful, generally two a round. Think Jexik calls such units Sharks in his unit categorization. Whichever of the two cards gets the single order marker, or none, is not only not fulfilling its potential as damage dealers, but are also cheap targets for the enemy to focus on and eliminate while they're inactive. Maybe you've had a different experience with Sujoah and the spiders, but it's definitely true for the Zombies.

Both the Spiders or Zombies make a good army core separately, but I'm not shore how well they'd work together. Sounds like a fun army to play, but since you're asking for tourney advice, I think it's lacking. Especially against a range heavy army. Though, if you can take on Q9 with that army, my hat is off to you. Hope that helps.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

RoninValentina is correct... you definitely do not want to fly Sujoah into the enemy camp and leave him there without a marker to make his melee attack. You also do not want to shamble your Zombies into engagement with ranged figures and leave them there not making melee attacks. Once these guys are engaged, they need to swing away while they still can. Also, six Fyorlag Spiders aren't necessarily going to get to roll for Entangling Web very many times per game. If you mean to use it, they need to concentrate into a small space quickly before they're gone. You're probably looking at a two-wave army that doesn't really want Sujoah/Spiders and the Zombies in the fight simultaneously.

However, it's still a very logical army. Sujoah and the Spiders bond only with one another, and you have double spiders. The Zombies really need four squads for maximum potential, and you have that too. The Zombies weaken against big heroes, and that's exactly who Sujoah wants to sting. I don't know that a Sujoah/Zombies army is tournament-worthy, but you've reached the fully-optimized Sujoah/Zombies army at the 520 level.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

How about 5 squads of Drones instead of Zombies/Isamu?

Not sure it would be much different than what you have as far as not wanting to leave any units hanging out there.

First tactic I'd probably try with these guys (since your going with no range) is to swarm with the Zombies/Drones and chop-up everything you can.

Then bring in Sujoah and the Spiders for clean-up duty. I think if you lead with Sujoah, you leave her (him?) open to too much concentrated fire and a quick death.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; December 3rd, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM

Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby!

Sujoah's a guy.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Sujoah's a guy.
On Sujoah's card it refers to it as "him" in his flying ability, so as a guy. But in Sujoah's bio, I'm pretty sure, says it refers to Sujoah as a "she", or girl. I refer to (and call) Sujoah as a he because I go by the card over a bio, personally. Male or Female, I still love it.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with rdhight. I'd lead with the spiders and sujoah then, send in the Zombies for cleanup. Keep Isamu as your ace-in-the-hole...I don't know that Zombies would count as "thugs." How 'bout Bugs n Slugs ('cause zombies punch things)?

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
How about 5 squads of Drones instead of Zombies/Isamu?

Not sure it would be much different than what you have as far as not wanting to leave any units hanging out there.

First tactic I'd probably try with these guys (since your going with no range) is to swarm with the Zombies/Drones and chop-up everything you can.

Then bring in Sujoah and the Spiders for clean-up duty. I think if you lead with Sujoah, you leave her (him?) open to too much concentrated fire and a quick death.
I would do the drone thing, but I have all of zero squads of them.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:16 AM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
But in Sujoah's bio, I'm pretty sure, says it refers to Sujoah as a "she", or girl.
Read it again and you'll see that this is not the case.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Bios CAN be helpful for stuff like that! At first, I thought Irska was a boy, until I read her bio!

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM

eternaldream knows what's in an order marker eternaldream knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Bios CAN be helpful for stuff like that! At first, I thought Irska was a boy, until I read her bio!
A boy with hormonal problems perhaps...
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I also like Sujoah for hero killing, but I'm not sure he's a good compliment for the zombies - he and his bugs are too fast. You could run it in two waves, but if Sujoah and the spiders are beaten (especially by range), the Zombies will have to make up a lot of ground, and thus will be taking a ton of shots on the way in.

For Zombies, I think they either need Raelin's aura to protect them while they shamble, or they need a unit to draw in the opponent's forces. The Krav and Sgt. Drake are very good at that.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion