Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:15 PM
C3G Campaign Manager

Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Book of Wong

The Book of Wong

C3G MARVEL PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 12
DEATH AND DECEPTION

Comic PDF

Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from The Amazing Spider-Man set.
Its model number and name are #023 / Wong.

Character Bio - Wong is a decendant of Kan, a monk who tried to atone for past wrong doings by dedicating his life to the service of mystics who served the forces of good. Kan further promised that his first-born male descendants would continue such service. As one of these first born males, Wong, from childhood, was dedicated in service to The Ancient One. He spent his childhood learning about sorcery and martial arts in a remote monastery. Upon reaching adulthood, the Ancient One sent Wong to serve his disciple Steven Strange. Since then Wong has loyally served Dr. Strange as he continues his fight for the forces of good.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: If Wong uses Kan's Oath to take the damage instead of his master would he take the full damage rolled or the single wound that the master would take since that figure would have the Magical Defense special power.
  • A: Wong would take all the damage. It's a matter of order of powers. When the master takes the wounds, the wounds are reduced to 1 wound because of Magical Defense. But since Ken's Oath triggers before this occurs, they haven't been mitigated down to 1 wound yet.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Last edited by Splash; August 6th, 2022 at 12:56 AM. Reason: png
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM
C3G Campaign Manager

Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skeeter700 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Wong (Design Phase)

NAME = WONG

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = MONK
PERSONALITY = LOYAL

SIZE/HEIGHT = Medium 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4

POINTS = 90

LOYAL MANSERVANT
At the start of the game, choose a Human figure with the Magical Defense special power that you control to be Wong's Master. After revealing an Order Marker on his Master's Army Card and before taking a turn with his Master, you may first take a turn with Wong, and you may not take any additional turns with other figures you control other than his Master. When Wong and his Master are adjacent, both add 1 extra die to their normal attack.

KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, before using any other special power, you may choose to have Wong immediately receive all wounds from the attack instead of his Master.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by japes; July 28th, 2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Updated with change to Loyal Manservant and Kan's Oath
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM
C3G Campaign Manager

Possible Mini Art
Spoiler Alert!

Possible Comic Art
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Skeeter700; May 26th, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:17 PM
C3G Campaign Manager

This is very exciting to be LDing my first design!

Here's where my head was at when I came up with this Wong right-up:

Overall - Wong debuted in 1963. Like many other 50 year old characters, he has gone through more than one variation. The Wong I tried to represent was the one I read about in my favorite Dr. Stange story: The Oath (minus the brain tumor).

Stats - The Marvel Directory states the following:
*Strength Level: Wong possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
*Known Superhuman Powers: None
*Other Abilities: Wong is an expert in the martial arts of Kamar-Taj, although he has rarely used them in recent years. Hence, although Wong can overpower many adversaries, he is no longer a match for a master of the martial arts who keeps himself at or near peak condition.

Special Powers:
I don't think either of the two powers are very complicated, but here's where my head is at:

* Loyal Manservant - When I originally designed Wong, this power specifically referenced Dr. Strange (a la Bob & Deadpool). However, it seemed that Wong would be more draftable if he was linked to The Magical Defense Special Power instead. I had thought about adding sight or distance limitations, but opted for the simplicity of the current power.

* Kan's Oath - Again a pretty straight forward power. Wong is prepared to 'take a bullet' for Strange so this power allows that to happen. I had thought about forcing Wong to take the wounds (sort of a counter to the attack boost of Loyal Manservant) and to represent the theme of Wong taking a bullet regardless of what Strange would want. However, I thought this might make Wong too easy to destroy given his fairly low stats.

I guess that's it for now. I hope I've set this thread up correctly and would be grateful to any advice on how to improve what is currently here.

From what I understand the next 48 hours are for spit-balling ideas, suggestions & questions. I'll be checking in regularly if you have any questions for me.

Thanks again in advance for your input. I'm really looking forward to getting Wong in the game.

Last edited by Skeeter700; May 5th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter700 View Post
* Kan's Oath - Again a pretty straight forward power. Wong is prepared to 'take a bullet' for Strange so this power allows that to happen. I had thought about forcing Wong to take the wounds (sort of a counter to the attack boost of Loyal Manservant) and to represent the theme of Wong taking a bullet regardless of what Strange would want. However, I thought this might make Wong too easy to destroy given his fairly low stats.
To contrast you here, I am worried that it will make the figure with Magical Defense too hard to kill. Figures with Magical Defense are already a pain in the rear end to kill, especially those with 6 or 7 life. I love the Magical Defense bonding, but I fear an insane power increase in Magical Defense figures.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:39 PM
C3G Campaign Manager

Thank you all for your comments so far. I've enjoyed sitting back and reading all your suggestions over the past 24-hours.

It is pleasing to see that the design is moving forward along the trajectory of the original write-up. At the same time some amazing improvements have been suggested. I’ve substituted two of these ideas into this design:

NAME = WONG.

SECRET IDENTITY = .

SPECIES = Human.
UNIQUENESS = Unique Hero.
CLASS = Monk.
PERSONALITY = Loyal.

SIZE/HEIGHT = 5.

LIFE = 4.

MOVE = 5.
RANGE = 1.
ATTACK = 3.
DEFENSE = 4.

POINTS = 100.

LOYAL MANSERVANT
At the start of the game, choose a figure with the Magical Defense special power that you control. After revealing an Order Marker on the chosen figure, before taking a turn with that figure, you may first take a turn with Wong. If the chosen figure is a Sorcerer, when Wong and the chosen figure are adjacent, both add 1 extra die to their attack.

KAN'S OATH

Anytime an adjacent figure with the Magical Defense special power rolls defense dice against an attack and would receive 1 or more wounds, you may instead choose to have Wong receive these wounds.

A Run-Down Of The Changes:

1) Wong’s class has changed to Monk, which I feel makes sense thematically.

2) The Loyal Manservant power has been changed to Bat’s version. It too is thematic, but also adds a degree of strategy to the design. I especially like how it strengthens the connection between Wong and a Sorcerer. The placement of the OM on the Magical Defense figure also strengthens the Manservant theme. I can understand the concern of others that this power makes Strange too strong. However, I feel that is thematic – Strange performs better with Wong around to help. Plus, at 4 defense and 4 life, Wong is not an insurmountable obstacle.

The other suggestion that has been discussed a bit was adding the Stealth Leap from the Shaolin Monks to Wong. Personally, I don’t think it is an iconic trait to this character and thus have not included it at this time. While I can understand the 'neat-o' factor of to having this monk match those monks, I’d rather build this design around who Wong is. However, if adding Super Leap gets enough support from others in the forum (who feel it adds enough in terms of game-play to be justified) I could go along with including it.

Again, thanks to all of you for your feedback. I look forward to reading any further ideas you may have.
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Ninja Playtester

fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

With the current wording it would seem that Loyal Manservant would be able to alter Special Attacks and I don't think that was the intention (correct me if I'm wrong). Copying wording from Captain America, I believe it should be worded as such:
Quote:
LOYAL MANSERVANT
At the start of the game, choose a Human figure with the Magical Defense special power that you control to be Wong's Master. After revealing an Order Marker on his Master's Army Card and before taking a turn with his Master, you may first take a turn with Wong. When Wong and his Master are adjacent, both add 1 extra die to their normal attacks.
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The game rules are that special attacks cannot be modified. It's how Captain America gets away with this on his Tactician special power:

Quote:
All friendly figures adjacent to Captain America add 1 extra die to their attack, and 1 extra die to their defense.
No specification that it's just "normal" there. Also nothing about it not being leaving engagement attacks. But we know from the game rules that only normal attacks are affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fret_gurglo View Post
With the current wording it would seem that Loyal Manservant would be able to alter Special Attacks and I don't think that was the intention (correct me if I'm wrong). Copying wording from Captain America, I believe it should be worded as such:
Quote:
LOYAL MANSERVANT
At the start of the game, choose a Human figure with the Magical Defense special power that you control to be Wong's Master. After revealing an Order Marker on his Master's Army Card and before taking a turn with his Master, you may first take a turn with Wong. When Wong and his Master are adjacent, both add 1 extra die to their normal attacks.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Ninja Playtester

fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
The game rules are that special attacks cannot be modified. It's how Captain America gets away with this on his Tactician special power:

Quote:
All friendly figures adjacent to Captain America add 1 extra die to their attack, and 1 extra die to their defense.
No specification that it's just "normal" there. Also nothing about it not being leaving engagement attacks. But we know from the game rules that only normal attacks are affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fret_gurglo View Post
Quote:
LOYAL MANSERVANT
Ok np. I was referring to the C3G version however.
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

It's a messy power, but I'm not convinced it's really an issue. If we do want to try to clarify it, I think we'd be best off with something like:

Quote:
KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, you may choose to have Wong receive all the wounds that would be inflicted by that attack instead of his Master.
It's still not perfect but the "all" helps enforce the intent I think.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old November 14th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Quote:
Q: If Wong uses Kan's Oath to take the damage instead of his master would he take the full damage rolled or the single wound that the master would take since that figure would have the Magical Defense special power.

A:Wong would take all the damage. It's a matter of order of powers. When the master takes the wounds, the wounds are reduced to 1 wound because of Magical Defense. But since Kan's Oath triggers before this occurs, they haven't been mitigated down to 1 wound yet.
I don't think this is at all clear from the card text. I'd recommend adjusting the power, especially since it doesn't seem like much of a candidate for re-use and there's plenty of room on the card. Just tacking on an extra sentence, to the tune of this, should do it:

Quote:
KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, you may choose to have Wong receive the wounds instead of his Master. When Wong uses Kan's Oath to receive the wounds from an attack, he receives the number of wounds the attack would have dealt before considering Magical Defense.
Alternatively, a strategy something more like this might also work:

Quote:
KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, you may ignore his Master's Magical Defense special power and choose to have Wong receive any wounds from the attack instead of his Master.
Quote:
You're not calculating the number of wounds his master would have received and then transferring them to Wong, though - you're calculating the number of wounds Wong would've received if the master's defense roll were his own. So his master defends, then the amount of skulls that are unblocked go directly to Wong at that point. Magical Defense never comes into play.

Not sure how to express that more clearly in the card or FAQ text, but those FAQs don't work, because Magical Defense isn't relevant in order to be ignored. If it were, it'd be because the Master was applying the wounds to himself and then transferring them to Wong, and that's not how the power works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Fair enough. I think I'm seeing the intended order of operations a little more clearly now, but it still feels a little easy to misplay to me. Kind of a tricky wording, though. Lacking a better idea, I'll put it on the backburner for now. (Anyone with a good idea about how to really clarify this in the power is welcome to jump in, though)
Quote:
Yeah, I think the issue is inserting this power after the defense and before the wounds are placed. Were it placed when defense was rolled (so Wong rolls for defense) or after wounds would be taken (so Wong takes the wounds his Master would've taken) it'd be clearer in either direction. But the desired timing of this mechanic makes it real murky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
It's a messy power, but I'm not convinced it's really an issue. If we do want to try to clarify it, I think we'd be best off with something like:

Quote:
KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, you may choose to have Wong receive all the wounds that would be inflicted by that attack instead of his Master.
It's still not perfect but the "all" helps enforce the intent I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
That seems more confusing to me. How about this?

Quote:
KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, you may choose to have Wong receive the wounds as if the defense dice were rolled for Wong instead of his Master.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
This version brings up the engagement issues we've seen elsewhere though. If someone with Master Martial Artist is adjacent to Wong's Master but not Wong, does the autoskull apply?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
Quote:
That seems more confusing to me. How about this?

Quote:
KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, you may choose to have Wong receive the wounds as if the defense dice were rolled for Wong instead of his Master.
Not a fan, really. I think the "as if Wong was rolling" will just confuse players.

Would reconfiguring the structure of my suggestion help?

Quote:
KAN'S OATH
If Wong's Master would receive one or more wounds from an attack, if Wong is adjacent to his Master, you may have Wong receives all the wounds from that attack instead of his Master.
Quote:
Seems about the same as what we have now.
Reviving this discussion with all the relevant posts I could find, and tagging the other Heroes: @SirGalahad , @Karat , @johnny139 , @TrollBrute .

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old November 14th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Wong

I have sort of been following this, but what about something more like this?
Quote:
KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, before applying any other special power, you may choose to have Wong immediately receive all wounds from the attack instead of his Master.
I think this would solve all the issues while leaving it concise. Not sure the wording is perfect, but it conveys the meaning and I used special power as I'm sure there will be some MD figure somewhere that may have some other power that could be applied.

Last edited by Karat; November 14th, 2015 at 01:29 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library