Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Repaint Threads. Painting, Bases, Figure questions.

Impact Miniatures also has a 40mm beveled base. It's slightly larger than the Deathwalker base. It has worked well for my larger custom figures. 6 in a pack for $1.80. They also have some 30mm bases 15 for $1.80. When I ordered, it was a flat $5.00 shipping no matter how many bought (at least up to 6 packs).

Edit: just went to the site and saw they lowered the price and I had the quantity too low on the 30mm. And, this time at least, shipping is $4.00.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031

Last edited by mac122; November 19th, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

So when they say 40mm base, they mean 40mm diameter, not "appropriate for figurines at 40mm scale"?

I just saw the D3 bases (they had some packs at the FLGS where we held our game day) and I have to say, I'm blown away by how big they made them. They are, in my opinion, in violation of the letter of the rules. They are at least 39 millimeters across, which is more than the 38 millimeters of the narrowest diameter of the raised portion of a hex. I guess I don't need to feel bad about using poker chips as a stopgap...
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
So when they say 40mm base, they mean 40mm diameter, not "appropriate for figurines at 40mm scale"?

I just saw the D3 bases (they had some packs at the FLGS where we held our game day) and I have to say, I'm blown away by how big they made them. They are, in my opinion, in violation of the letter of the rules. They are at least 39 millimeters across, which is more than the 38 millimeters of the narrowest diameter of the raised portion of a hex. I guess I don't need to feel bad about using poker chips as a stopgap...
Yes, they are the same size as D&D Minis original large size bases. They fit okay on a hex without completely overhanging.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Quote:

Yes, they are the same size as D&D Minis original large size bases. They fit okay on a hex without completely overhanging.
Sounds good. The D3 bases are really only a problem if you're OCD about it. Since they are official releases, I suppose we have to assume they are considered legitimately placed. However, it is imposssible to place them 100% on the raised portion of the hex - there is always a tiny overhang.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM

I know that the D&D miniature line's "large" figures went from 40 millimeter diameter round bases to 48 millimeter diameter round bases, starting with the "War of the Dragon Queen" set.

Does anyone know when the D&D line switched from the soft plastic to the hard plastic for the bases? The old bases were a soft, rubbery plastic that could be cut with a good pair of scissors. The newer figures use a very stiff plastic that requires wire cutters. I know that it was somewhere between "War of the Dragon Queen" (which has soft bases) and "Against the Giants" (hard bases), but I don't know exactly where.

Also, I'm discovering a lot of variation in how the figures are attached to their bases, but this is probably a figure-to-figure variance as opposed to something that changed at one point in time. For most figures, the figure and its base seem to be a single piece of cast plastic. Some figures, however, are attached to the base by plugs coming up from the base that fit into sockets in the feet of the figures. These are very easy to debase; just put them in a quarter inch of boiling water for 10 minutes or so, and you can generally pull the base off the figure.
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know when the D&D line switched from the soft plastic to the hard plastic for the bases? The old bases were a soft, rubbery plastic that could be cut with a good pair of scissors. The newer figures use a very stiff plastic that requires wire cutters. I know that it was somewhere between "War of the Dragon Queen" (which has soft bases) and "Against the Giants" (hard bases), but I don't know exactly where.
I think I had it all wrong, and the distinction is actually that the huge bases use the hard plastic, while the large bases (even in later releases) are a softer plastic that becomes pliable when heated.
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
I think I had it all wrong, and the distinction is actually that the huge bases use the hard plastic, while the large bases (even in later releases) are a softer plastic that becomes pliable when heated.
Resorting to talking to yourself???

Guess I'm getting back into Scape

Last edited by xraine69; December 5th, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Resorting to talking to yourself???
Well, I think it's possible that someone else was curious about my results on this.

Here's the reason I care: I've been doing a fair amount of what I call "ghetto rebasing" lately. For figures on large WotC bases that need to be placed on peanut bases, there's no shortcuts - you have to rebase. But for figures on post-2006 large bases that would fit on a Deathwalker base or at least a D3 base, or any huge figure that would fit on a peanut, there is actually a decent shortcut solution that doesn't require coming up with a new base.
Post-July 2006 WotC large bases: Put the figure in a flat-bottomed pan with just enough water to cover the base, and let it come to a boil. Take the figure off the pan - the plastic in the base should be very soft (and hot). Dry the base. Put the desired base (DW9k base, or D3 base) bottom-to-bottom with the base, covering the part of the base that the figure is standing on. Trace around the base with a sharpie. Get a sharp pair of scissors (I used curved cuticle scissors) and just cut around the base. If your cutting job is jagged, clean it up with some sandpaper.

Huge Bases: You can do the boiling water thing, but it won't help much. Do the same trace job as above, only with the appropriate peanut base. The peanut is longer than a huge base, so the resultant shape is more of an hourglass.

Get a good pair of wire cutters, and work around the trace. It will take a lot of small cuts and it will be pretty jagged. You will need to use sandpaper to soften it out. You will also probably want to sandpaper the bottom of the front and back of the base, so that the figure will sit on the entire bottom and not just the rail running along the front and back of the base.
Neither of these are really earth-shattering approaches, but it's notable, to me, how much easier the process is with the large bases than the huge ones.
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM

heroscaper67 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

i thought this thread would be about custom repaints
Old February 22nd, 2019, 06:46 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A while back I purchased a passel of resin bases in different sizes - already the right brown color and stickered. Anybody remember who did those or have a link to them?

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old February 22nd, 2019, 11:23 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
A while back I purchased a passel of resin bases in different sizes - already the right brown color and stickered. Anybody remember who did those or have a link to them?

~Z
It was yodajunkie I believe. I'd bought some from him in the past.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards