Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
dreams of developing a Heroscape coordinates system

Maybe someone has addressed this idea already. How hard would it be to develop an instant messaging or email way to play Heroscape with someone over the internet? People used to play chess by mail using the A-H, 1-8 coordinates. Granted, there are way more hexes to consider, but maybe we could figure out a way of designating locations using standard maps.

As far as rolling, I'm not a programmer but there are number generators I've seen, and maybe someone here could come up with a way to simulate rolls of the HS dice.

This is something I've been considering for a while because my friend wants to find a way to bring thieves onto the tabletop. Backstab would really only work if there was a way for you to sneak up behind someone without the player knowing (and it would make it scary since you know he's out there somewhere). The only way I can see doing that is by using coordinates that are kept track of secretly until the figure is exposed under some circumstance (attacking or spotted).
Old October 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
"Heroscape coordinates"?

Like Garanimals?

That'd be cool - matching Jandar Knight shirts and sweat pants....

Sorry, had to say the joke.
Old October 29th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
I think a big problem with the idea is that there aren't any consistent map footprints to base this off of. It would likely involve a new system for every map. Perhaps a more realistic system would be based on figure starting positions and track their movement. Have the starting positions numbered, and designate a "north" orientation (the top of the map). Then it is based on how many hexes in one of six possible directions. It wouldn't be as easy as the chess version, but I think it might be the simplest way to do it.

Another option for the back stabber guy would be to have a printout of the map that gets marked as the figure moves around. Maybe have the guy's concealment special say something to the effect of: Make all moves with this figure on the printout first. Then after moving before attacking roll the d20. On 1-x place the figure on the map (he failed to conceal himself). On x-20 keep the figure off the map (he successfully concealed). Then the backstab special attack could only be done while concealed. I kind of like that idea.
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Hmm...just brainstorming. If we cannot rely on a common size map, maybe the measurements and points could be relative to each map using some sort of percentage based system. I'm not even thinking about practicality at this point. Before the game you could measure the distance or the width and length. Make 10% lines each way marked in some fashion. Those form a square-ish box. Then the measurement would break down again. Ugh...I can't imagine adding that setup to each map considering it takes me three hours to make a canyon.

I hope that German guy is still working on the Java script version on HS. I wouldn't want it to be too good though cuz I want to get some use out of the hundreds of dollars I've spent already.
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation
Does ANYONE remember that Vassal exists? u_u It's not perfect but it'd be a darn sight better than playing by e-mailing coordinates.

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Hex Coordinates

I remember Avalon Hill's Squad Leader boards used to have the hex coordinates printed on the hex grids themselves. I think this could suggest a system.

First, take a look at any Heroscape map. Mentally "slice" the map into a series of straight hex rows. These could run top-to-bottom, left-to-right, or run down-right or down-left. You'll want to base your coordinates on this straight-hexrow method.

Cut some paper or card stock into smaller squares, perhaps 1" x 1". Label them A, B, C, etc. If you go past Z, begin with double letters: X, Y, Z, AA, AB, AC, etc. Place an arrow on the square pointing downward. The arrow will indicate direction.

Now place the squares along the edges of your map to mark the start of each hexrow. Face the arrow to point down the direction of the row. You now have the basis of a coordinate system: Hewrow ID + Number of hexes away from the label. So, you have A1, A2, A3, etc.

Take a look in your rule book at the Trollsford Swamp Battlefield, and find the map for the scenario "A Toxic Mist." Let's slice the rows so the hexes in a single hexrow run left-to-right. The top-most row is A, then B, etc. The label will be placed on the left-most side of the map. The Kelda glyph will be located at C14 and the Valda glyph will be at I8.

If you can print out the mapgrid, you can label the map instead of using paper squares.

Hidden Units

The thief idea indicates a need to play with hidden units. This idea is inspired by the Hidden Setup Rules in the Heroscape Automated Battle Rules. You can find info about this in the Other Customization section of the forum.

You'll need a number of tokens to indicate possible positions of your thief. I think 6 would be a good number. You can take cheap poker chips, and put numbered stickers on them 1-6. Take 6 cards from a deck of playing cards: A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (suit doesn't matter). Secretly select a card to indicate which chip is your thief and place it next to the thief's battle card.

When you move your thief, you move all six tokens.

If you have a squad of thieves, say 3, the same principle applies. I would still keep about 6 tokens to represent all the thieves, but you'll secretly select 3 cards instead of 1.

You now have tokens that your opponent can see, but they won't know which token will actually be the thief. You can create spotting rules, if you'd like.

Option: Instead of labeling the poker chips 1-6, you could take 6 chips and mark one to be the thief (or more for a squad of thieves). Then you play with the thief mark face-down. If you play Heroscape without glyphs, you could even use the glyphs as tokens.

Conclusion

None of these ideas are necessarily directed towards an email system of play. These are ideas I'm tossing out that might spark some ideas that you might use.

-David
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Good suggestions David. I just started playing with the Automated Rules yesterday. I'll look at this later when I have more time to think.

What is Vassal?
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkadinn
Does ANYONE remember that Vassal exists? u_u It's not perfect but it'd be a darn sight better than playing by e-mailing coordinates.
No.

I think less than 20 people know about Vassal.

That's why it never went to the next, critical stage of development.
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkadinn
No.

I think less than 20 people know about Vassal.

That's why it never went to the next, critical stage of development.
I agree with Kark. You should check out Vassal:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

Its a free game engine for playing adaptations of board games online. Mods are added to the base engine to allow people to play different games. A mod was created for Heroscape awhile back.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:57 PM

theats has disabled reputation
just wait till someone makes a heroscape viseo ghame.

Theophilus.
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM

reiella has disabled reputation
Hmm, for a coordinate system to work, you'd have to have a means to designate the Start Point.

Because of the potential of having uneven boards, you'll need to accept that the coordinate system will have to able to handle negatives, and a third coordinate to account for height.

Which leaves the issue of deciding on how to count the tiles, which should be just as simple as "Left half is decrement, right half is increment". That and deciding which way is 'north' and which way is 'south' for the y-axis coordinates.

Troublesome part comes that, the coordinates would get horrendously cumbersome without a program to intepret them. Although may be better off seeing how an existing render program handles the locations and just tapping into that.

[ Add ]
Umm, kinda curious, why I have a word censored there, if I'm checking it right, I really have no idea why it's getting censored.
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:43 PM

aielman has disabled reputation
honestly, up and down doesn't matter if you are on the same map, just make sure you always use a map with only one level and you woudl be fine.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion