Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old September 13th, 2016, 10:53 AM

TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker
Re: JerseyScape - Flex Tourney Sunday, 9/11/16 Hamilton

Awesome
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

* I concur . . . Thank you @Man At Arms for organizing this recent event. I had a lot of fun playing at the Family Game Store, even though my Sentinels of Jandar did not perform as well as I had expected. They have a very good defense, but are weak on offense when they can't get a height advantage. If any of you are on http://www.FaceBook.COM, there is a Group Page that is also called "HeroScapeRs.Com" where yesterday I posted a lengthy review of my three games.

It was nice to meet two newcomers to this fantastic hobby and great to get reacquainted with two old friends. TheEpicAlpaca is a little taller since the last time we saw each other. Forum chats don't manifest the aging process that takes place as the months and years silently pass by. And I was glad to see that Chuck's enthusiasm for this game and life in general are still as infectious (in a good way) as ever.

@mathjedi ~ Welcome to the HS'ers Forums. Once the dice start hitting the table, we all tend to become laser focused on the figurines' characteristics and survivability, so the lively banter and casual discourse here online is how we get to know each other and keep in touch. If you click on the person's User Name when you're reading their Post, you will see a pop-up box with an option to add them to your own contact list. This make sit easier to send them Private Messages (PM's), because it's sometimes hard to remember if spelling is: Math_Jedi, Math-Jedi, or Mat_Thjedi, etc.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:14 PM

While we are still think about getting together again soon - can any of you commit to meeting me on Saturday October 15th in Monmouth County? And here's why . . .

I grew up there ('55 - '75) and know the area well. I owned a house in Long Branch before retiring (and down-sizing) to a smaller one here near Ocean City in northeastern Cape May County. Anyway, shortly after we left, a game club started up. I joined it just to meet other gamers, support them getting organized, and encourage their continuance. About a dozen adults meet on Tuesday evenings (6 - 10) at a church in Tinton Falls to play modern (Euro-Style) board games. I keep in touch with them via the Board Game Geek website (http://www.BoardGameGeek.COM) and occasionally still visit them. You can check out their Guild on BGG it's called: "Exit 105 Gamers."

Twice a year (Spring and Fall) they run an ALL DAY board gaming event to attract new members and provide an opportunity for those that can not make it on Tuesday to join in the fun. THREE TIMES I have brought several HeroScape maps, a dozen armies to choose from, and all the accessories (dice & markers), requiring a huge effort on my part, and got little participation from the attendees. There's been 30 - 50 people there and some showed a mild interest (basic curiosity), but few wanted to sit down and actually try it. It's very family oriented, so there was more of a party atmosphere with everything from Apples-To-Apples, Blokus, and Candyland to X-Com, Ydrasil, and Zombiecide spread out on the various tables.

IF this sounds like a reasonable venue - I'm confident that we could utilize two or three tables in a corner of the large room with only minor distractions from onlookers, whom we usually welcome - THEN I will plan on holding a quasi-tournament there and provide additional information. Otherwise, I am planning to be there anyway if you'd like to join me, but I won't be dragging a whole bunch of HeroScape stuff with me because it's still a 90 mile drive from my house at GSP Exit #20.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 29th, 2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: corrected typos
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:54 PM

TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker

Where in Monmouth county is the group and event located? I'm interested in learning more
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:29 PM

9BelowMadness is surprisingly tart

Thanks @Man At Arms for organizing this event. We definitely need to do it again. It was good to meet fellow Scapers for the first time too.
@Johngee : I would love to go to the October 15th Monmouth County event, but will be on my honeymoon.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpicAlpaca View Post
Where in Monmouth county is the group and event located? I'm interested in learning more
As I mentioned above: this group started on BoardGameGeek.COM and created a Guild for itself there. They tried gathering in food courts at Barnes & Nobles and Whole Foods until one of the guys got permission to use a classroom in his church on Tuesday evenings. They settled into that location as a central meeting point equally distant from Keyport, Freehold, and Belmar. Several names were suggested and "Exit 105 Gamers" won the vote because the church is literally 100 yards from it and it's a typical joke to ask people, "Oh, you're from Jersey... what exit?"

If you came off the Garden State Parkway at Exit #105 (from either North or South bound) you are on the southern end of State Highway 36 heading east. In order to make a left turn at the FIRST intersection you have to go through it and take the jug-handle on the right. After looping around the ramp, you would be heading north on Hope Road. Go through the intersection and Turn Left at the very next traffic light. There's an Applebee's on the corner. This is Park Road, drive 1/10th of a mile to #31 on the Right. There's a big sign out in front of this office building.

You can MapQuest of Google search, Park Church at 31 Park Road, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724? It's only a coincidence that they found a great place to rent on Park Road. This non-denominational group used to be called ORB for Outreach to Red Bank and actually began by meeting in the park there.

Last edited by Johngee; September 29th, 2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9BelowMadness View Post
@ Johngee: I would love to go to the October 15th Monmouth County event, but will be on my honeymoon.
WHAT?!?! That's heresy my friend. There's no better way to spend your honey moon than by playing HeroScape with your bride, before she starts coming up with a "Honey-Do List" for you... Okay, I will excuse you this time because of the wedding, but don't let it happen again (~~lol~~) j/k

Seriously, congratulations. I do wish you all the best.

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker

I am free that weekend but would like to see when the next event will happen in Savage. I know Kidscaper has been looking to take me down ever since GenCon 2015 when all he had to do to beat me was retreat his last Grok Rider and save 130 points (used to partial card scoring). This does look like a good venue though in Monmouth County and could potential lead to more interest in JerseyScape.
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

October 15 is currently in play. Hopefully I'll have more information soon. FWIW, the other dates currently in consideration are the first three Saturdays in November.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Thanks Johngee for responding. Oct. 15 is definitely an option for me so I'll keep in touch for updates.
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:52 PM

Sorry Dad_Scaper, but if you settle on 10/15/16, I will miss out on another savage event in merry land. I definitely plan on being at Park Chch on Park Road, in Tinton Falls, Nuhieurzee on that day because this group always borrows four of my folding tables to play on. My dilemma is choosing between: #1. Should I bring enough HeroScape stuff to single-handedly run a small tournament *AGAIN* and risk being disappointed *AGAIN* if no one shows up; #2. Should I bring a bunch of Fantasy Flights Star Wars stuff like X-Wings and Imperial Assault to run demo's all day, since it is currently more popular among the general demographic that I expect to be in attendance; and #3. Should I just show up and join in what ever games are hitting the tables to get in sessions of some other favorites of mine, i.e. Small World, Stone Age, Shadows Over Camelot, Colt Express, Black Fleet, even Love Letter, etc. All three scenarios would be FUN, but I'm thinking that the 3rd one might be less stressful (not having high anxiety over who is going to show up and when) and thus more relaxing. All ya'all are welcome to join me there in which ever game I finally decide on playing.

Last edited by Johngee; February 9th, 2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: fixed typo's
Old September 17th, 2016, 11:35 AM

Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker Man_At_Arms knows what's in an order marker

Looks like 10/15 will be clear. Would you like to post in this thread Johngee? Come up with a fun format for a small group (I presume 4 -6 with hopefully some new recruits?). I have some ideas if you'd like to brainstorm together.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events