Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old November 13th, 2022, 02:20 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Age of Annihilation - Backer Trend and Discussion

Quick--somebody call the Sultan of Qatar!
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:30 AM

Swarm knows what's in an order marker Swarm knows what's in an order marker Swarm knows what's in an order marker

Someone tried to tweet Elon ? Might work
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:42 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When I see these jokes about approaching wealthy individuals to save the game it makes this feel more like Shark Tank and less like a crowd funding campaign.

Maybe they should have been looking for investors to relaunch the game and not consumers.
Old November 13th, 2022, 08:07 AM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think it's fair to say that the price point in combination of the figure choices was one of the paramount reasons why this campaign has under performed.

$250 for 71 figures that you want is a great deal. $250 for 71 figures when you only want 20 of them isn't. I really wish each faction was offered separately that way people could pick and choose what they wanted to add to their home games.

Personally, I think they could have easily just released units in the same look and feel as the classic heroscape units and called it a day. I know whenever a prepainted figure was found that matched the classic heroscape aesthetic it was often met with excitement by the VC community.

I agree with the sentiment that Hasbro/AH didn't seem to really understand why heroscape was so beloved. It's known now that the director of this campaign had never played heroscape until AoA. Really tough job to direct a campaign built around nostalgia when you don't share that nostalgia yourself.
Old November 13th, 2022, 08:23 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Sheman is no spring chicken himself. Regardless I think you misinterpreted his post though? He is saying that the AH team is the guy in the gif, not you.
Thanks for clarifying, caps. More precisely though, Steve Buscemi represents not so much the AH team as he does AoA the product trying to fit in with old 'Scape.

(Incidentally, "Sheman" was Mattel's original name idea for She-Ra. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Overall AoA felt like it was developed by people who weren't really familiar with the original game and certainly didn't understand why people loved it so much.
To be clear, CVN and the War Council obviously do not fit this description. If I were to guess, I'd say a lot of the off-putting aesthetic decisions came from Encarmine, Patrick and/or their bosses at Hasbro.
Old November 13th, 2022, 09:08 AM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I wanted historical stuff but IMO the designs are awesome. Not a fan of ironclad but everything else I loved. I think if ppl saw painted demos of the figures they wouldn't keep saying it's not like classic heroscape. There is nothing that fits the classic heroscape vibe as well as Polar Bears with Harpoon Cannons

And I agree; it feels like AH went into this thinking one thing and then Hasbro made them do a bunch of stuff before they were prepared so the campaign flopped
Old November 13th, 2022, 09:20 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Overall AoA felt like it was developed by people who weren't really familiar with the original game and certainly didn't understand why people loved it so much.
To be clear, CVN and the War Council obviously do not fit this description. If I were to guess, I'd say a lot of the off-putting aesthetic decisions came from Encarmine, Patrick and/or their bosses at Hasbro.
I'm with Hogg. IDC if CVN/WC made a unicorn with four human legs and a flamethrower for a horn, even if CVN is the allfather of scape, that ain't flying with me. It doesn't remind me of scape and so IMO they do fit the description.

Agree that Encarmine and Patrick probably had some input and it likely didn't do what they thought it would. Although frankly, I'd probably say this about any big wig at Hasbro that seemingly missed the Heroscape marketing target this terribly. I expect big money to do dumb big money things.
Old November 13th, 2022, 09:20 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Someone quoted a Grungebob post about Hasbro being responsible for the outcome of the Haslab offering. But they didn't quote what I thought to be the much more important previous sentence, his statement that "Whatever the outcome, Hasbro is not finished with Heroscape."

And that gives me hope, despite what they said about it previously.
Old November 13th, 2022, 09:57 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It’s all speculation but it could just mean they’ll never let go of the brand but it will stay in their vault for another 30 years before someone decides to pull it back out and put a new IP on it.

I can’t imagine after the Haslab fails to fund at close to half the goal, they’ll decide to double down and put even more money into making it work when it already didn’t.
Old November 13th, 2022, 01:37 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like the majority of the characters in the set, the only ones I'm not a fan of are Oberon, Viscerot, and Bonnie and Widow. Oberon's metal claws make his arms look too long and strange, Viscerot has a weird goofy face when he should look intimidating instead, Bonny shouldn't have a sci-fi face mask, and i don't like Widows weapons since they're aren't normal pirate weapons
Other than that everything looks good. The 40k comparison doesn't hold too much water to me because old Heroscape always looked like other IPs anyway. Zetacron looks like a Tau mech, deathwalkers look like inperium mechs, and the marro look like they could be from 40k.
If we never had marro in classic heroscape and they instead were introduced here for the first time, people would be complaining about them not looking like Heroscape 'why can't we get normal aliens instead of ugly fleshy skeleton aliens with strange names like Ne-Gok-Sa'
Most of the stuff here I'd say meshes with the old stuff. Maladrix isn't much different than Sujoah in style, the clockwork are fine if other animals like gorillas and snakes are fine, and cyborgs aren't a stretch if soulborgs are acceptable.
I can understand some complaints about the pirates though, adding alien pirates before normal pirates was the wrong decision. People have wanted normal pirates in Heroscape for a long time so I think they missed the mark by adding so many sci-fi fantasy pirates. Not a single squad of vanilla human pirates? Weird.
Old November 13th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
People have wanted normal pirates in Heroscape for a long time so I think they missed the mark by adding so many sci-fi fantasy pirates. Not a single squad of vanilla human pirates? Weird.
I personally love the space pirates. I also love the idea of classic pirates, or even better, skeletal pirates. Skeletons are something that has not been done, but has been talked about. The original Heroscape display at the 2004 NY City Toy Fair, had skeletons pictured on the board. They could have been stand-ins for Morro, but I know I’ve heard Craig mention skeletons in a couple of different interviews. Skeletal Pirates!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 13th, 2022, 02:07 PM

GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby!

So thoughts on this . . .

I'm not a fan of most of the new factions. I actually like Lifeborne Dryan (they feel 'Scapey to me), but that's about it, other than the classic units locked far away behind completely unattainable backer #s. But, even though other people apparently love the woodland creatures, I find them out of place in Heroscape, and overly grotesque or overly busy death metal and bug factions are just not for me.

I've seen several people say they fit in perfectly with the Heroscape aesthetic, but if that's the case, are they the same people who loved D&D 'Scape? Because I certainly remember people complaining that D&D didn't fit the 'Scape aesthetic at the time. If that was a legitimate criticism then, why not now? So which is it?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion