Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!
SoA's Customs: ULLAR CAVALRY FACTION, 4/24

EDIT (4/22/23): More than a decade later, I think it's better that visitors to this thread (welcome!) see what I'm working on lately; hence the division of this post into old and new(ish) ideas. The divide between those two is partly chronological, but also one of quality, IMO. The older units you'll find in the spoilers are things I like (or liked at one point) but that do show their age; the newer ideas that I'll display here are things I'm either still tinkering with, or that I think are in a good spot to see play on a casual HeroScape table. While I strive for balance and fun, and I will post miniature information when it's relevant, I can't make myself design around the pre-painted miniatures ecosystem anymore. That made sense, for me, at one time, and now it really doesn't, for me. If you decide to take one or more of these ideas for a ride at your own table, I suggest you do what I do: use proxies, at least until you know whether you like playing with something regularly enough.

Don't be surprised if you see the same/similar mechanics cropping up over and over again, under the same or different names, but do feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts. They're almost always welcome.

ULLAR CAVALRY FACTION: 4/24/23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
After workshopping the Roman Cataphracts, I still had cavalry on the brain, but wanted to carry it in a different direction, and at a greater scale. Rather than a standalone unit or one that fits into an existing synergy web, I decided to create a new faction that would only thematically connect with existing units. I also wanted the opportunity to workshop some new lore, so instead of a historical unit, it’s back to fantasy-land.

Unlike the Roman Cataphracts, I do have specific miniatures in mind for each of the three units in this faction. They’re unpainted, and not cheap, but I love the visual reference they give to the units. As with the Cataphracts (and everything else in this thread) you can do as I will and use proxy sculpts. If you really want to purchase, assemble, fill, sand, prime, and paint the minis, you can find them on Etsy here, and here (although there are other sellers if you poke around Etsy. If you have access to a 3D printer and would like to print them out yourself, you can find the .stl files available for purchase from their creator, Artisan Guild, here and here. I'll include the links and sculpt names with the cards & power text below, too.

Lore: Far from the looming shadow of Castle Esenwein, beyond the treetop citadels of the elves, the unconquered northern plains of Feylund stretch thousands of miles around the planet’s polar cap. Elven legends trace their ancestry to these wilder lands, where their most ancient forerunners wove nature’s oldest magic to change their shape, and the wisest sages balanced the ferocity of beasts against the art and reason of elvenkind. The Cervitaurs of Clan Windhorn scoff at such tales. Their own elders say that in the fog of prehistory, a few of the original twelve clans tired of their endless migrations across the plains, spending season after season in the wind and rain, only an unwary breath away from violent death. These tribes wandered south, sought the shelter and shade of trees, and over many generations their descendants lost the fiercest parts of their bodies and souls. Those who remained true to the old ways found eternal glory under an endless sky, never doubting their place in the world's natural order. Peering deep into Feylund’s primeval steppe, Ullar saw and summoned the Warriors of Clan Windhorn to his aid. Now, the cervitaurs fight alongside the elves, charging ahead with bow, spear, and blade in hand, ready to slay every foe in their path.

Notes on lore: We hear a lot about Feylund’s woods, home to the elves and wolves, and about the dark realm of Cyprien Esenwein and the undead, but a planet is a big place. Taking inspiration from nomadic steppe cultures throughout human history, I combined those thematic elements with a slightly different spin on the traditional centaur. Instead of half-horse, half-human, the cervitaurs are half-elf, half-deer (or antelope, or Feylund’s nearest equivalent animal). In my mind, Clan Windhorn is just one of many clans that migrate across Feylund’s harsh northern grassland, which leaves room for all kinds of other clans, creatures, and cultures. I may revisit this space in the future. Or not. We’ll see.

WINDHORN WARRIOR

The miniature used for this unit is the Arverian Centaur, Sculpt B, created by Artisan Guild Miniatures.

Card Text
Spoiler Alert!

Notes: the bread and butter of the cervitaur faction is not a Common Squad, but rather a Common Hero that functions like a pseudo-squad. While the Warriors are a potent force in their own right (they may even be overpowered for their points) their survivability, board control, and versatility should improve when you mix in the Archers and Zephyra, their champion. Their Cervitaur Herd Bonding special power makes them the Order Marker hub of the faction, but they’re also the frontline troops. The Warriors are built to thrive against small and medium figures, but may struggle against large and huge bruisers, or when fighting on uneven terrain. Against auto-wounders or high-attack enemies, they should stick close to their champion, Zephyra.

Note on card text: Cervitaur Herd Bonding is supposed to be a bulleted list, like Kato Katsuro or Kantono Daishi, but Xorlof's X-2 card creator doesn't allow for such things (although it's a great resource for creators like me). Also, the text of Cervitaur Herd Bonding should read "up to 2 Cervitaur Common Heroes," something I didn't catch until just now. I'll go back and fix it on the card when I have time.

WINDHORN ARCHERS

The miniatures used for this unit are the Arverian Centaurs, Sculpts A and C, created by Artisan Guild Miniatures.

Card Text
Spoiler Alert!

Notes: while they’re a 60-point, 2-figure squad on paper, it’s probably more accurate to say that two Archers and a Warrior form a 3-figure, 90 point squad that splits the difference between ranged and melee combat. With only 2 ranged attacks per order marker, the Archers justify their point value by being very hard to kill. Scatter is not the kind of power I jump to include on any custom card, but I felt alright doing it here for a couple of reasons. First, the Archers are not blockers or glyph-grabbers like the Deathreavers. They don’t have the raw numbers or the stout melee defense to fill that role, so Scatter is much more of a survival power than it is a board-control power. Second, the Archers are double-spaced figures that cost 30 points apiece, so every lost Archer counts three times as much as a lost Deathreaver. With all that in mind, it’s still possible that I underestimated their true value. The Archers play a support role in the cervitaur army, harassing and picking off enemy units such as well-placed cheerleaders, ranged attackers, or glyph grabbers, that would otherwise require the Warriors to stray too far from Zephyra, or overcommit the main force.

ZEPHYRA

The miniature used for this unit is Xeron Thunderhoof - Averian Woodkeeper Hero, created by Artisan Guild Miniatures.

Card Text
Spoiler Alert!

Notes: the heavy hitter and cheerleader of the cervitaur faction, Zephyra may have more value as the latter than the former. With a conditional normal attack of 6, Zephyra can work as a can-opener, but she probably shouldn’t go anywhere without at least a few Warriors in tow. With only one attack per turn and lower mobility than the Warriors or Archers, you’d hate for Zephyra to get overwhelmed by enemy squads on her way to smack down high-value targets. Windhorn Warriors Defy Death 15 is a key part of her role in the cervitaur army. You may not get as many chances to roll for the power as Parmenio gets when played alongside the Sacred Band, but a successful roll can rescue a Warrior from death of any kind. At 30 points per figure, that’s not nothing.

Notes on faction theme: I really enjoyed putting all the pieces together on each of these cards. Zephyra and the Warrior’s Dauntless personality was a very deliberate choice. The word “daunt” is descended from the Latin “domito” meaning “tame” or “conquer,” which is itself descended from a Proto-Indo-European word meaning “to domesticate” or “to tame.” Deer are almost by definition impossible to domesticate; they’re too panicky to capture alive without harming themselves or their pursuers, and too agile to keep in an animal pen. The only species of deer to be successfully semi-domesticated are reindeer (also called caribou) which were (and are) a vital resource for Arctic peoples throughout human history. I liked the idea of deer-people who are literally “un-tamed,” or “un-conquered.” Hence, dauntless. The name Zephyra is an overt reference to the Greek name for the mythological West Wind, making it half a pun on the “Windhorn” clan name. By contrast, the Archers’ Tricky personality was almost by default (the only decision point of that kind) and I may go in a different direction if a viable alternative presents itself.

Notes on faction mechanics: there were a number of decision points where I opted for mechanics that risk being overpowered. Scatter on a ranged Common Squad is the most obvious, but putting Passing Blow on the Warriors and allowing them to activate up to 3 Warriors per Order Marker is the one I think I’m more concerned about. For that reason, I bumped the d20 cutoff from 11 to 13. If the targets line up right, you can combine 3 attacks of 4 with 3 auto-wounds against small and medium figures. If that combination proves too powerful, I’d start by raising the d20 cutoff again, then consider limiting the number of Warriors activated to 2 instead of 3 (if I did that, I'd probably lower the d20 cutoff to compensate for the lost activation). Another thing I’m watching out for is the balance between the three options in Cervitaur Herd Bonding. Ideally, a player will have good reasons to go with Archers+Warrior, a trio of Warriors, or Warrior+Zephyra, depending on the game situation. If one of those options gets too much use, I’d want to revisit the power level of each card.
EINAR CAVALRY: 4/10/23

Quote:
I don't design many Common Squads, and I'm not totally sure why. Is it because they're more complex of an undertaking than heroes? Is it because I try to use miniatures that are widely available, and there just aren't enough to make a decent squad? It's probably a mix of the two, and once I go awhile without working on a Common Squad, it's hard to generate the creative momentum to work on one because the task stays outside of my creative comfort zone.

So in the spirit of stepping outside that zone, I wanted to try something that has zero chance of a suitable pre-painted sculpt (let alone sculpts) getting onto the secondary market. Something I would want to see in the game if I could commission artists and artisans to design, produce, and paint the miniatures. To balance that out, I indulged my whims as much as possible on the "theme" side of the ledger.

I didn't mean to pick the most irritating kind of Common Squad to work on. I really didn't, it just played out that way. Been listening to too many history podcasts, so this was on the brain. And also, if you're going to design without a care for the minis, and you happen to be me, you're probably going to go historical.

Why do HeroScape's cavalry squads suck? That's not an entirely fair question, because the Marrden Hounds are fine (better than fine). But the Templar Cavalry and Grok Riders stick out like a pair of sore thumbs in the game's roster of Common Squads, and not just because they're two of the most expensive cards you can field more than one of. Maybe it's because HeroScape isn't designed to capture what makes cavalry useful in the field, maybe it was just bad luck, and maybe Delta pricing (where you can at least lose a Templar Cavalry figure and not be out 40 points) is the one true god. Whatever the case, my recent Roman history kick collided with this question, and this is the result.

The miniatures for this unit are... whatever you want. There are unpainted minis out there (though maybe not in print) that could work, if you have the patience to paint them yourself and don't mind 28mm scale. If you flatter me so much as to actually play with these things, you could proxy with Templar Cavalry. That's what I would do, if I had any. As it is, I'll just google "cataphracts miniatures" and dream.

NAME = ROMAN CATAPHRACTS
GENERAL = EINAR
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = COMMON SQUAD
CLASS = SOLDIERS
PERSONALITY = DEVOUT
SIZE/HEIGHT = LARGE/6

LIFE = 1 (4 FIGURES)
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 5
POINTS = 125

FIRST STRIKE

If Order Marker 1 is revealed on the Roman Cataphracts, add 2 to their Move number and 1 extra attack die for that turn.

THUNDERING CHARGE
When a Roman Cataphract attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of this turn, all skulls rolled count for one additional hit.

CATAPHRACT ARMOR 17
When a Roman Cataphract rolls defense dice against a normal attack and and receives one or more wounds, you may roll the 20-sided die. Add 4 to your die roll if this is the first time that Roman Cataphract has been attacked this turn. If you roll a 17 or higher, ignore any wounds that Roman Cataphract just received.

Synergy & Benefits
As Soldiers, the Roman Cataphracts benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus' Soldier Leadership and Soldier Attack Enhancement. As Devout figures who follow Einar, the Roman Cataphracts benefit from Count Raymond's Devout Leadership and Maneuver 9 special power.

Design Philosophy & Notes
"Cataphract" refers to any of the heavily-armored cavalry units used by states such as (but definitely not limited to) the Eastern Roman Empire and the Sassanid Persian Empire. Unlike the earlier Roman auxiliaries or Parthian horse archers of the classical period, the individual Cataphract and their horse entered battle more or less fully armored. These were the most elite cavalry of their day and place, and they placed heavy emphasis on the headlong charge to break enemy formations.
I almost called these guys "Byzantine Cavalry Troopers," and I'm not sure why. The Roman Legionnaires are not called "Roman Infantrymen Soldiers" in HeroScape. The Byzantines did not call themselves "Byzantines" (they called themselves Romaíoi, Greek for "Romans").
I really tried to make a Soldier unit that likes Count Raymond more than it likes Marcus Decimus Gallus, but I don't know that I've succeeded.
I think it's funny that the Roman Cataphracts ended up so much more complicated and expensive than the Roman Legionnaires. I'm going to pretend it's a meta-pun on the more developed state the Cataphracts served and on the modern meaning of the word "Byzantine."
I spent too many hours thinking about how to avoid outclassing the Templar Cavalry while making a fun and cost-effective custom, and gave that up. Delta exists, thank goodness for the Templars.
Cataphract Armor is the thorniest part of this custom. It has the potential to be extremely annoying, but in deciding whether to make the Cataphracts A) cheaper per figure but less sturdy or B) more expensive per figure but harder to kill, I went with option B. And I still might have underestimated their ideal cost.
I like First Strike on this unit. It's hard to charge at full 8-Move speed in a full suit of metal armor with a fully-armored soldier on your back, gotta save that extra juice for when you need it.
If I've done my job right, this is the kind of unit you don't take more than two squads of at lower point totals.

NEWER IDEAS, 2018-2023

Spoiler Alert!

OLDER IDEAS, 2011-2018
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Son of Arathorn; April 24th, 2023 at 04:41 PM. Reason: title changed
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: SoA's Custom Ideas. Criticism Warmly Welcomed.

Interesting concept and I like it. Personality wise, seeing as he is a sniper, I would make it precise. On the return fire ability is shouls say, ruin, evergreen tree, jungle piece or rock outcropping
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Thanks, jcmcminis. I'll fix the wording.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think that 90 points is definitely too low. This guy coudl get off a lot fo attacks. that cover and retaliate thing boosts him up quite a bit, and the shot mastery adds some too. I think his stats could bring his points down a bit more, maybe to about 110ish area. You might want to reduce the range though. 5 or 6 should work, but with the current range, his points would go up a bit more.
So, what I would suggest:
Spoiler Alert!

I would price him at about what you had, 90, or maybe 100, with those revisions.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:49 PM

I wanted to make this guy have more than 6 range (though I know 8 is unrealistic). So maybe 7, but down the defense. I want him to be fragile in melee combat, but be difficult to hit from range. Maybe I could up the successful roll for C&R to 13, making him easier to wound.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Original Post:
Spoiler Alert!

I'll put any cards I make for SoA here, sorted by general.

Utgar:
Spoiler Alert!

Valkrill:
Spoiler Alert!

Jandar:
Spoiler Alert!

Ullar:
Spoiler Alert!

Einar:
Spoiler Alert!

Vydar:
Spoiler Alert!

Aquilla:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by awesomeunleashed; June 19th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM

Alright, here's an earlier version, incorporating some of the corrections above, of Cover and Retaliate. It might solve the problem of the attack vs. auto-wound.

If ??? is adjacent to a Ruin, Jungle Piece, Rock Outcrop, or Glacier Mountain, and receives one or more wounds from a non-adjacent attacking figure, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-?, nothing happens. If you roll a ?-?', ignore any wounds just receives. If you roll a ?'' or higher, ignore any wounds just receives, and inflict one wound on the attacking figure if it is within range of ???

P.S.- ?=number, ?'=number higher than ?, and ?''=number higher than ?'
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Alright, here's an earlier version, incorporating some of the corrections above, of Cover and Retaliate. It might solve the problem of the attack vs. auto-wound.

If ??? is adjacent to a Ruin, Jungle Piece, Rock Outcrop, or Glacier Mountain, and receives one or more wounds from a non-adjacent attacking figure, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-?, nothing happens. If you roll a ?-?', ignore any wounds just receives. If you roll a ?'' or higher, ignore any wounds just receives, and inflict one wound on the attacking figure if it is within range of ???

P.S.- ?=number, ?'=number higher than ?, and ?''=number higher than ?'
Ooh, I like that better than what I had. Maybe this?

Spoiler Alert!

You really have to make the Retaliate requirement be 7 clear sight spaces instead of range, because the Mind Flayer Mastermind or any other figure with an attack that does not require line of sight could be shooting at you through a castle wall.

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Y'know, it's funny, I'd just made the clear sight spaces edit in the hard copy on my computer before I came on the site. I'd also considered the Battlement, because of height. I'm most likely to go with the Dwarf Raider figure, #03 from the D&D set Angelfire. He has the crossbow, and is certainly small enough. His availability is a slight issue, because I want the customs I make to use readily available figures. Auggies only has 2 of these in stock right now, Miniature Market has 6 in stock, and BeholdertheBargains has ?I don't know, their server isn't responding. But Ebay has more than 150, very reasonably priced too. Right then, I think I'll keep the Battlement, but I don't want to go anywhere near the idea of applying C&R to Tower Pieces. It will complicate things too much. I'll take the finalized text, and go playtest. I'm going to code name the figure DR, just for the sake of sanity in the text.

Finalized Text (Draft 1)
Name- DR

Follows- Aquilla
Species- Dwarf
Type- Unique Hero
Class- Sniper
Personality- Precise
Size- Small
Height- 3

Life- 4
Move- 5
Range- 7
Attack- 2
Defense- 2
Points- 90

Special Powers
Cover and Retaliate
If DR is adjacent to a Ruin, Evergreen Tree, Glacier Mountain, Jungle Piece, Battlement, or Rock Outcrop, and receives one or more wounds from an attack from an opponents figure that is not adjacent, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-11, nothing happens. If you roll a 12-16, ignore any wounds DR just received. If you roll a 17 or higher, ignore any wounds DR just received, and you may immediately inflict a wound on the attacking figure if it is within 7 clear sight spaces of DR.

Shot Mastery
If DR did not move this turn, you may attack one additional time with . If DR attacks the same figure in one turn, roll one additional attack die for the second attack.

Last edited by Son of Arathorn; November 24th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Good, except for one thing: If you roll a 17 or higher, you can't ignore any wounds! I'm going to make the card as soon as I get the chance, if that's fine with you.

Old November 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Good, except for one thing: If you roll a 17 or higher, you can't ignore any wounds! I'm going to make the card as soon as I get the chance, if that's fine with you.
Fixed, and thank you very much. This will be using the Dwarf Raider mini, easy enough to find. A pic of the mini is linked in the OP.
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Here's the card:

I changed the wording slightly on Shot Mastery to be closer to official wording, I hope you don't mind.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards