Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: "I could beat that army!" Theoryscape Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSnap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSnap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
280 PK x 4
165 DC x 3
50 Nerak
495 23 hexes
I just can't help it…

Hatamoto Taro -- 130
Kaemon Awa -- 250
Tagawa Samurai -- 370
Tagawa Samurai Archers x2 -- 500

500 points and 11 hexes.

With Hatamoto backing my Samurai army against all those normal melee attacks, even the DCs might think twice before engaging. The Archers can easily bust up the DC's low defense, and with Kaemon Awa there as well, even the Phantom Knights aren't going to have an easy time of it. Then it's time to sit back and bring out the counterstrikes.

(Sure, there are better armies, but this one is just too much fun to pass up an good opportunity for it.)
I really think the Samurai army would get rolled. The other army has lots more figures, and nice high attacks as well. Especially with no Raelin in the mix, I can't see Counterstrike taking out enough PKs or DCs. Maybe something like:

Raelin RotV
Hatamoto
TSA x4
Guilty

I'm not totally sure this would win either, but I think it would do slightly better.
Umm, that army would fare little better, as Raelin only boosts the Archer's defense to 5. That's what the Tagawa Samurai have to begin with. On top of that, you've sacrificed Kaemon Awa for Guilty. Overall, I think the army you've outlined is actually weaker than the one I picked (Against the army I picked to counter).

As for defending my army choice, The Tagawa Samurai, with 5 defense and Taro's boost, have the same chance to get blocks, but have the highest number of dice rolled. Even the 4 attack DCs are going to need to be careful in that case. With height, the odds are even; when the Samurai have height, attacking them is suicide. The Samurai archers, while not as tough, can destroy the DCs with a 2 attack on 2 defense (even with 3 defense, the odds somewhat favor attack). Kaemon Awa is always a powerful figure and can sit next to Taro (giving him his tough ability thing) and pound at anything that comes near. He's really for the Pks with his special attacks. The only easy targets in the whole army are the Samurai Archers. With the lack of any ranged or special attacks in Rich10's army, Samurai could be rough to fight, even without a Raelin. As long as they stay within Taro's range, they will roll more dice for defense than their attacker rolls for his attack. With a 50/50 for a shield, the DCs should be careful.
First the PK's kill Raelin. Next they kill Hatamoto. The PK's, DC's and Nerak clean up. Anything could happen, but I'd bet on my army.
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM

BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
First the PK's kill Raelin. Next they kill Hatamoto. The PK's, DC's and Nerak clean up. Anything could happen, but I'd bet on my army.
I should hope so. People that have no faith in their armies confuse me .

To get this thing back on track, it looks like the army to beat is:

PK x4
DC x3
Nerak

(It may not be my place to do this, but this thread tends to de-rail after one of these discussions. I'm just trying to be helpful.)

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
PK x4
DC x3
Nerak
Air elementals x8- 240
Death knights of valkrill x 4- 480
Marcu Essenwein (But really, if my group didn't mind, I'd bring dumtef at 505).

Air elementals bond with the death knights and screen for them, engaging the PKs and using air mastery to lower defense. The Death knights kill off nerak and then use soul weapons to kill the 0-defense DCoT. Dumtef/marcu cleans up.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Deadeye 60
DW7000 160
Templars x2 400
Kravs

I know this army is very weird, but the AE and DK army really isn't that hard to beat with this. Snipe with Deadeye and pick off Air Elementals to eliminate as much bonding as you can so you limit the enemy to two attacks per turn. When they get close, send in DW7000 to take out as much as possible. When that's over with, use the Templars to charge in and cleanup. Kravs are just there to help with any problems. You just start off with range then send two devastating strikes and the army should get destroyed.
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:37 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassistofDoom View Post
Deadeye 60
DW7000 160
Templars x2 400
Kravs
240 Black Wyrmlings x 8
240 Ashigaru Harq x 4
480 24 hexes

The Black Wyrmlings lead and take out DW7K, the KMA and Deadeye. The Harq clean up.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM

Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Tai-Pan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
240 Black Wyrmlings x 8
240 Ashigaru Harq x 4
480 24 hexes

The Black Wyrmlings lead and take out DW7K, the KMA and Deadeye. The Harq clean up.
Kato Katsuro
Ashigaru Yari x 3
Ashigaru Harquebus x3
500 pts, drop a yari

I think the 8 figures per turn should overwhelm your army, and the ashigaru don't really care if the wyrmlings fry a couple on a turn.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Kato Katsuro
Ashigaru Yari x 3
Ashigaru Harquebus x3
500 pts, drop a yari
120 Deathreavers x 3
130 DW8K
110 Sharwin Wildborn
50 Marro Warriors
90 Crixus
500 19 hexes

Deathreavers stop the advance of the Yari. DW8k and Sharwin use their specials to decimate the Ashigaru. The Marro Warriors clean up any remaining Ashigaru. Crixus takes out Kato.
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

120 Deathreavers x 3
130 DW8K
110 Sharwin Wildborn
50 Marro Warriors
90 Crixus
500 19 hexes
Well met!

160 Sonlen
140 Heavy Gruts x 2
120 Grimnak
80 Raelin
500, 12 spaces

Orcs bypass/cut through the Deathreavers and take out all your units with the possible exception of DW8000, whose defense is bypassed by Sonlen's Dragon.

Next Generation

Old March 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
160 Sonlen
140 Heavy Gruts x 2
120 Grimnak
80 Raelin
500, 12 spaces

210 Braxas
280 4th Mass x 4

120 Kurrok
280 Fire Elemental x 8
90 Air Elemental x 3
10 Isamu
500 13 hexes

Searing Intensity bypasses Raelin's aura. Grimnak has trouble chomping the elementals. The Air Elementals keep Kurrok safe.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Avoiding the obvious stealth flying army:

Microcorp x3
Laglor
Black Wyrmlings x3

The Micros get Stealth Armor against SI, plus they are ranged, so they don't feel the burn as much. Plus with 9 range, taking out Kurrok from height is plausible. The Black Wyrms are there to preserve the Vydar theme, but they should also be great against just about everything in that army.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:22 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well met!

Let's get specific. Create two 500 point teams for the following map.

Team 1:

185 Nilfeim
150 Cyprien
120 Black Wyrmlings x 4
45 Sonja
500, 6 spaces

Team 2:

140 Heavy Gruts x 2
120 Grimnak
100 Tornak
80 Raelin
50 Nerak
10 Isamu
500, 16 spaces

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; March 30th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

*chuckle*

Kolakoski, I saw you'd posted in this thread, and I thought "He's fishing for advice there, too."

You aren't a little excited to come visit us in Charm City, are you?

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion