Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old September 24th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Vivaldi is surprisingly tart
Re: Strategies vs Dwarves

My first thought was to just stiff arm them at the forehead. Its pretty effective from my experience.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Gilbert + Knights are very tough for dwarves. As fast or faster, just as much attack, more defense, and bonding every time. (Plus coward's reward, though it doesn't come up as often in that matchup.)

Heavy gruts can be tough, though they have to use Grimnak more sparingly.

I suppose if you are specifically counterdrafting, you could do an Acolarh, Raelin, Warriors of Ashra army.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!

There are many good ideas here. I like to think of it this way: what do the dwarves NOT bring to the table? Range and special attacks. Because of this, I like a combination of some of the previous suggestions: the Warriors of Ashra and/ or the Samurai as lead blockers backed up by range. You could probably do the job with just the WOA and/or Samurai, but the range will seal it. Anything big plays to the dwarves' strength, so I'd avoid dragons, etc. WOA and/or Samurai can be BRUTAL to an all melee army.

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
― Anthony Ryan, Blood Song

Last edited by Johnnylama; September 24th, 2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: A Picky Penchant for Plural Possessive Punctuation!
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Ecthelion is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
You were forgetting the best dwarf to add up to 500 points. Also, the best counter to dwarves are:
Eltahale!
Eltahale 140
KMA 240
ShaolinX2 400
MBS 450
marro warriors 500

This crushed a dwarf army.

Ecthelion
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Ecthelion is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylama View Post
There are many good ideas here. I like to think of it this way: what do the dwarves NOT bring to the table? Range and special attacks. Because of this, I like a combination of some of the previous suggestions: the Warriors of Ashra and/ or the Samurai as lead blockers backed up by range. You could probably do the job with just the WOA and/or Samurai, but the range will seal it. Anything big plays to the dwarves' strength, so I'd avoid dragons, etc. WOA and/or Samurai can be BRUTAL to an all melee army.
Sorry for double posting. ^is great.
I probably like monks too much.

Ecthelion
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM

AceofShadows is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Yes, all of these armies and units are good counters to dwarves, but can they also effectively beat other armies? Think if you run an WOA army, could they beat Q9? The knights and a few other commons are the only solid competitive army that has no weakness against the dwarves. Also the screens (rats) also give them trouble.

Ace
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:40 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

I actually play Dwarves whenever I get the chance. I usually run a core of:
Axegrinders x4
Darrak Ambershard
Mogrimm Forgehammer
360/18

I really like this core for the Dwarves. The commons obviously counter large huge, but they are generally the one's with the high powered special attacks. This allows me to keep Mogrimm safe from most of that stuff. Against commons and/or normal attack Mogrimm is just a beat stick and a tank. In my eyes they cover each others weaker points.

Darrak can be vicious. My general plan with him is to lose out on a few turns attacking with him until I can get one or two Grinders engaged to more than one thing. Once that happens I'll miss a kill and leave at least one still engaged for Darrak to smack. This turns into a pattern after awhile.

Migol isn't worth his salt unless I can have 5-6 squads and that's over hex limits. I just need more fodder out of my commons, and he is the weakest hero. Ya, he hits hard and statistically hits for more dice than Darrak. But when you consider the intended situations you'll see that Darrak will throw 6 dice more often than Migol will throw 3... way more often.

I've had trouble with high mobility more than just brute force. Ya, Knights will fair better, but I expect that. (Who doesn't?) What really bothers me to see across the table is a figure like Kaemon Awa, he has a special multi attack and is a medium hero. Not to mention he has counter strike. I've been ripped up by well played Marro Warriors, so I'd assume KMA can duplicate that. Oddly I've had more problems with the Unique (and highly mobile) squads than with anything else.

Anyway, I hope that helps you find some kind of counter. I think it helps to know why people draft them, and those are my reasons.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Axegrinders x4
Darrak Ambershard
Mogrimm Forgehammer
360/18

I really like this core for the Dwarves. The commons obviously counter large huge, but they are generally the one's with the high powered special attacks. This allows me to keep Mogrimm safe from most of that stuff. Against commons and/or normal attack Mogrimm is just a beat stick and a tank. In my eyes they cover each others weaker points.

Darrak can be vicious. My general plan with him is to lose out on a few turns attacking with him until I can get one or two Grinders engaged to more than one thing. Once that happens I'll miss a kill and leave at least one still engaged for Darrak to smack. This turns into a pattern after awhile.

Migol isn't worth his salt unless I can have 5-6 squads and that's over hex limits. I just need more fodder out of my commons, and he is the weakest hero. Ya, he hits hard and statistically hits for more dice than Darrak. But when you consider the intended situations you'll see that Darrak will throw 6 dice more often than Migol will throw 3... way more often.

I've had trouble with high mobility more than just brute force. Ya, Knights will fair better, but I expect that. (Who doesn't?) What really bothers me to see across the table is a figure like Kaemon Awa, he has a special multi attack and is a medium hero. Not to mention he has counter strike. I've been ripped up by well played Marro Warriors, so I'd assume KMA can duplicate that. Oddly I've had more problems with the Unique (and highly mobile) squads than with anything else.

Anyway, I hope that helps you find some kind of counter. I think it helps to know why people draft them, and those are my reasons.
It's really map dependent too. On a flatish map the dwarves will dominate once they reach you. With 6 move on their own it isn't too hard to do.

Played this in my first tournament and it was a massacre:

My army:
210 Braxas
110 Airborne Elite
80 Deathreavers x2
120 Krug
90 Crixus

Against:
185 Zelrig
350 Dwarves x5
60 Darrak
20 Marcu

Granted I was very new to the game and the dice were not doing anything for me, but it was a complete blow out. My rats got torn up before cornering Zelrig and the dwarves had a field day with Braxas and Krug.

A lot of players would probably argue rats are still a better screen for the dragons, but I really like how the Greenscale Warriors keep the dragons competitive while up against dwarves.
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:08 AM

Lesur is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Pig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Axegrinders x4
Darrak Ambershard
Mogrimm Forgehammer
360/18

It's really map dependent too. On a flatish map the dwarves will dominate once they reach you. With 6 move on their own it isn't too hard to do.

Played this in my first tournament and it was a massacre:

My army:
210 Braxas
110 Airborne Elite
80 Deathreavers x2
120 Krug
90 Crixus

Against:
185 Zelrig
350 Dwarves x5
60 Darrak
20 Marcu

Granted I was very new to the game and the dice were not doing anything for me, but it was a complete blow out. My rats got torn up before cornering Zelrig and the dwarves had a field day with Braxas and Krug.

A lot of players would probably argue rats are still a better screen for the dragons, but I really like how the Greenscale Warriors keep the dragons competitive while up against dwarves.
Ouch. Airborne Elite are good. They can get in 8 attacks before the dwarves reach them. More if they start with height advantage or have other movement blockers between them. Add Taelord, height, Glyph of Astrid (Attack +1), Finn, Thorgrim and Raelin. 4 attacks of 7 per OM + defence of 5 should let you hold out for a while. Especially with a range of 8.

I am a supporter of Star Wars, HeroScape, Age of Mythology and Ninja Ponies. Don't judge my good taste.
Support the Sasquatch Militia. We are looking for people like YOU!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles