Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 15th, 2016, 06:26 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

JohnGee,

Actually, I didn't back The Great War on Kickstarter. I adopted a 'wait and see' attitude for a Borg Commands & Colors game this time around, for a number of reasons:

1. This is the first Borg game Kickstarted. As such, you're buying a pig in a poke, rather than waiting to find out the word about the design before you buy. With boardgamegeek available, I don't do that anymore much; games have become too expensive. And I'm becoming disillusioned with Kickstarter, partly because I'm very much against exclusives that never become available for retail customers!

2. The topic: WWI. Its a difficult subject for a game, although there have been a few good ones made. And I already have it covered with 54mm minis.

3. The tiny scale of the game minis. I hate both 15mm and brittle hard plastic. I own over 30,000 54mm toy soldiers; I know what I like. I rarely go off this scale for non boardgame miniatures.

4. I already own six C&C games, and they are all much the same.

5. I used to own hundreds of WWI 1/72 scale minis which I miniatures gamed with, which could have been substituted for the ones provided with this game, being only somewhat larger. Now they're all gone, and I'll have to buy the expansions to get coverage of other nations. Richard Borg himself feels the same way, and games with larger scale 25mm minis for most of his games. C&C was originally a minis system, and all of his C&C Con events are put on with them.

So I'm later to the party, and my gushing praise for TGW could not in fact taken for granted. I'm happy it ended well, but I'm paying retail and waiting longer now on the expansions. For example, the Tank expansion only comes with six minis; once you have the rules, which will be posted online anyhow, you could easily provide your own or substitute cardboard counters, which the official TGW does with its supplementary pieces such as Reserve Artillery and British Light Whippet Tanks (unless you're a KS backer). Did I mention that I'm very much against KS exclusives?

But it is a great game, and I'm glad I'm finally aboard.

Last edited by chas; February 15th, 2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Relax @chas. I was just joking with you. The fact is: KS or not, yes I am jealous of you and anyone else who owns six Richard Borg C&C games AND is playing them (even solitairely), because I only own three of them and they are (by choice apparently) all collecting dust on the shelf. Butt I am still reluctant to drive all the way to Brooklyn just to participate in a session with you. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est le jeux! hehehehe ; - )

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; February 15th, 2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fixed it
Old February 16th, 2016, 10:16 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

A continuing and growing trend in new Richard Borg games being published is to provide multiple scenarios for the same battle. The recent announcement of the upcoming Epic Napoleonics participaltes in this trend by providing several standard format scenarios of Austerlitz, a major fight that has been absent so far. It can also be seen in The Great War, where the games center around three battles. This can also be seen clearly in Samurai Battles Memoir 44 and even a bit in Battle Cry.

This practice accomplishes a number of things for the player:

*Covers the better known conflicts of the period which customers want.

*Creates a mini-campaign where players can fight them in series.

*Offers sometimes simultaneous "Right Flank/Left Flank" coverage of the same action, which ambitious players can fight together by putting more maps next to each other to play them both at once, possible with multi player participation.

In this way they also give options not usually covered until an "Epic" two board format for each design can be produced, or separate campaign books--so far only achieved twice and only by Memoir 44. In this way Mr. Borg is providing continuity and variety in a number of his designs being published concurrently by different companies.

While the designer participates in boardgamegeek discussions and is available at conventions for game play and conversation, he says little publicly about his business model and publishing intentions before they occur. However, in this trend, we can see a more general profile of his changing current work than can be as clearly noted by viewing only one of his games being produced by any one publisher.
Old February 16th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Last Friday I played Between 2 Cities with my daughters. I really enjoy this game.

Over the weekend I played a couple games of Mercs Recon, testing out a mission I create. It went well and was fun.

Last night I played;

Volt - It's a game of arena combat with robots, using pre-programmed actions. It'skind of like that show with people making robots fight each other. Kind of neat. I won 5-3.

Lords of Waterdeep - I have played this 7 times now, and I thinkthis might have been the first or second at most time I won. 149 (won tiebreaker), 149, 140.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:18 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

@Hahma - Miniature Market's RIP sale has a bunch of MERCS stuff on clearance. Is it the same game?
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
@Hahma - Miniature Market's RIP sale has a bunch of MERCS stuff on clearance. Is it the same game?
Those Mercs are the metal minis for their table top skirmish game. That was what the company started out with, where you would have 5 Mercs vs. 5 Mercs. Played on neat terrain that people made and had templates for moving and such.

With Mercs Recon, they translated those Mercs factions into a board game, and switchedfrom metal to plastic minis. So moving forward, they intend for the table tip game to be done with plastic minis, though the metal ones still being sold will work just the same, but are being phased out. I believe the plastic ones will be cheaper and make the table to version to be more accessible.

Many people that were into or interested in the table top version also kickstarted Mercs Recon so they could get a bunch of factions for less money, ad there were also add ons for extra factions and other stuff, including the 2.0 version of the table to rulebook.

But thanks for thinking of me regarding the sale at MM

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It's been a long time, in fact it seems I MUST have missed posting a play or two, but I just played games 34 and 35 of War of the Ring : Collector's Edition. The first game end with a Ring Dunk just as Sauron was about to capture that last two victory points. The second game ended with the Ring Bearer falling under the corrupting power of his Burden. In that game the Shadow left Rohan mostly alone until Gondor fell and the Shadow army swept up the coastline and began to threaten three areas, Rohan, Rivendell, and Grey Havens. Unsure how best to muster troops the Free Player decided to rush into Mordor with a bit more corruption than one would usual want. Not sure if a few more turns healing in Rohan would have changed the outcome. This was one if the few games where the outcome seemed obvious the last three or four turns. Obviously, a couple key cards could have turned the tide, but fate did not favor the Free People this time.

$362/35 = $10.34 per game.

Other games I've been playing a lot lately are Zombicide: Black Plague, Forge War, Anzio/ Cassino, Mercury/Market Garden, and Risk: Star Wars Edition. I have well into 70 games played of that one.

So let's see, regular Edition was $24, plus $15 in micro machines, plus $30 for the Black Edition is $69, divided by 70 is $1 a game. Worth it.
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:26 AM

Who are Anzio/Cassino and Mercury/Market Garden by? Are they old hex and chit games, or something else?
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:38 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Hey there JB; nice to see you back on the site. It sounds like you've been keeping yourself busy. It's a shame that we never got together when I was living at APG in 2011-12, it seems that we like the same type of games. Did you get an invite to @Dad_Scaper 's HS event next month in Savage? I doubt that I will be making the trip down there since money is kind of tight and I've connecting with some other gaming (but non-'Scaping) groups a lot closer to home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
... and Risk: Star Wars Edition. I have well into 70 games played of that one. So let's see, regular Edition was $24, plus $15 in micro machines, plus $30 for the Black Edition is $69, divided by 70 is $1 a game. Worth it.
What do you think about this new version of RISK? Would you recommend the Black edition over the basic one? Not sure if I should pick up one of these or continue waiting for the Fantasy Flight's "Rebellion" game due out soon. I've always enjoyed RISK and even own both the Star Wars Trilogy and SW Clone Wars editions, but have trouble finding any one willing to play them. It's a good thing that I didn't pay full price for them because divide by 1 still comes out to the same amount.

P.S. The same is true of my "War of the Ring." Luckily its the standard and not collector's ed.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:47 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Who are Anzio/Cassino and Mercury/Market Garden by? Are they old hex and chit games, or something else?
They are published by Worthington. The games never went over well despite the very nice production (counters are almost 1 inch square.) They are sort of easy hex and counter games specifically designed to have short rules and low counter counts. Because Worthington insisted on 4 pages of rules some things were not clear. But the designer has since answered just about every question. There have also been some complaints about balance, but there are also some strategic tips that help both sides. I definity would have been disappointed if I had spent $50 a piece on them, but they are always on sale at Miniature Market for like $12 to $15. Well worth it at that price I think.
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:52 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
It's been a long time, in fact it seems I MUST have missed posting a play or two, but I just played games 34 and 35 of War of the Ring : Collector's Edition. The first game end with a Ring Dunk just as Sauron was about to capture that last two victory points. The second game ended with the Ring Bearer falling under the corrupting power of his Burden. In that game the Shadow left Rohan mostly alone until Gondor fell and the Shadow army swept up the coastline and began to threaten three areas, Rohan, Rivendell, and Grey Havens. Unsure how best to muster troops the Free Player decided to rush into Mordor with a bit more corruption than one would usual want. Not sure if a few more turns healing in Rohan would have changed the outcome. This was one if the few games where the outcome seemed obvious the last three or four turns. Obviously, a couple key cards could have turned the tide, but fate did not favor the Free People this time.

$362/35 = $10.34 per game.

Other games I've been playing a lot lately are Zombicide: Black Plague, Forge War, Anzio/ Cassino, Mercury/Market Garden, and Risk: Star Wars Edition. I have well into 70 games played of that one.

So let's see, regular Edition was $24, plus $15 in micro machines, plus $30 for the Black Edition is $69, divided by 70 is $1 a game. Worth it.
Nice, I love WotR. I've never kept track of the number plays...I'd estimate it to be about 20-25. I'm on 2nd edition ($65) so I'm down in the $3/play range.
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Hey there JB; nice to see you back on the site. It sounds like you've been keeping yourself busy. It's a shame that we never got together when I was living at APG in 2011-12, it seems that we like the same type of games. Did you get an invite to @Dad_Scaper 's HS event next month in Savage? I doubt that I will be making the trip down there since money is kind of tight and I've connecting with some other gaming (but non-'Scaping) groups a lot closer to home.
Quote:
... and Risk: Star Wars Edition. I have well into 70 games played of that one. So let's see, regular Edition was $24, plus $15 in micro machines, plus $30 for the Black Edition is $69, divided by 70 is $1 a game. Worth it.
What do you think about this new version of RISK? Would you recommend the Black edition over the basic one? Not sure if I should pick up one of these or continue waiting for the Fantasy Flight's "Rebellion" game due out soon. I've always enjoyed RISK and even own both the Star Wars Trilogy and SW Clone Wars editions, but have trouble finding any one willing to play them. It's a good thing that I didn't pay full price for them because divide by 1 still comes out to the same amount.

P.S. The same is true of my "War of the Ring." Luckily its the standard and not collector's ed.
Right now the regular version is like $14 on Amazon with free shipping if you have Prime. I think it is worth checking out at that price. Worse case you give it away to someone.

The game has more in common with the old Queens Gambit than Risk. The rules are simple, and the game can be played in about 20 to 30 minutes. It's a light Ameritrash filler, and as such it does everything you'd want. Cool minis, great theme, lots of dice rolls, tough decisions. The reason I've played it so much is because I can almost always talk someone into playing because its short and fun.

The Black Edition is quite nice, adding some bigger minis, upgraded cards and map, and the packaging is very slick with custom foam and plastic inserts for everything. I was fortunate to buy it on sale for $30 on Cyber Monday. $50 may be a little high for a game like this, but if you think you'll play it a lot it is worth it. But you can't go wrong with the $14 regular edition.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games