Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old January 16th, 2011, 01:52 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Wandering Monsters Tournament Results Thread

Well, another tournament in the books. Hopefully everyone had as much fun as I did. Here are the results: ( Points Destroyed / Monster Points Destroyed )

4-1 Northgate (2430/415) – Axegrinders x 3, Darrak, Heirloom, Theracus
4-1 tom (2395/460) – Venoc Warlord, Venoc Vipers x 7
4-1 spidysox (1940/210) – Zombies x 6, Dumetef Guard, Marcu
3-2 Clancampbell (2125/480) – Blade Gruts x 3, Grimnak, Tornak, Marro Warriors, Isamu
3-2 Arcus (1415/100) – Guilty, Me-Burq-Sa, Death Chasers x 3, Nerak, Krav Maga
2-2-1 Tyler (1430/100) – Goblin Cutters x 4, Major Q9, Drow Chain Fighter
2-3 Johngee (1835/235) – Kaemon Awa, Airborne Elite, Krav Maga, Blastatrons, Otonashi
2-3 Dolan (1440/290) – Marro Warriors, Phantom Knights, Major Q10, Kaemon Awa
2-3 The Epic Alpaca (1400/190) – Warriors of Ashra x 3, Charos, Sahaugin Raider
1-3-1 Justine (1255/360) – Sam Brown, Guilty McCreech, Sir Denrick, Knights x 3
1-4 The Epic Llama (1450/200) – Major Q10, Raelin, Marro Warriors, Deathreavers x 3
1-4 Fallow (1295/185) – Krav Maga Agents, Nakita Agents, Gorillinators x 2

Congratulations to Northgate on his first tournament victory! Also, congratulations to our resident MONSTER SLAYER – Clancampbell! Thanks to everybody for coming out and playing and especially to those who brought maps. I hope to see everyone in Vineland on February 12th for Northgate and Justine’s tournament.

Please feel free to post your battle reports below. I love to read them. Any comments from outside observers are also welcome.

Link to the original tournament thread.
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Wandering Monsters Tournament Results Thread

Another tournament come and gone. I had a great time. I decided to go with a less than chalk army for this event and was really surprised how well it performed. I knew that there would be plenty of squadscape floating around so I decided to bring zombies. I was really quite lucky in that only one of my opponents was a ranged heavy army so that played right into my hands.
The wandering monster format was very interesting. The monster itself had little to do with the outcome of the games on the board during my matches (save for one match) but was a factor in scoring. For the most part I let the monster alone, which in retrospect may not have been the best decision.

My complete army construction was,
Zombies X6
Marcu
Dumetef Guard

Battle reports

Round 1 vs. Justine on Toms Secret Map of Doom with Torin as the wandering monster.

This was the one instance where the monster had a huge impact on the game played on the board and not just points. Justine had Knights, Denrick, Sam Brown and Guilty. We both started out by putting our x marker on the monster, mostly just to get each other thinking that we would move him. Zombies shambled to the middle of the board while Knights dragged their armor the same. Sam Brown took a couple of pot shots at the Monster and inflicted a wound (I think). Denrick and the Knights continued on to the middle while the Zombies did the same. As slow as both of our armies are, it took a while for us to get into combat. Finally, at the beginning of a round I put my #1 marker on Torin hoping to tie up some Knights and maybe kill one or wound Denrick. This was big moment of impact in the game, Torin got height on Denrick and with his extra 2 attack for attacking a small figure had 7 dice, I rolled and got 5 hits, Justine rolled and whiffed! Dead Denrick! Now the Knights had lost their bonding and Justine lost a good monster slayer. The Zombies and Knights finally met in the middle, and it was a long drawn out confrontation, eventually the Zombies were able to whiddle through the ranks of the Knights and there were quite a few ZombieKnights running around. It became a numbers game eventually and the Zombies overwhelmed the Knights and had Sam Brown and Guilty for lunch. A good start for me to win this one. Justine got the monster kill howerver as she polished of Torin.
1-0 and feeling pretty good.

Round 2 vs. Clancampbell on Healing Waters with the Ogre Warhulk

Clan has become my nemesis. I am 1-3 I think against him in tournament play. I felt pretty good going into this one as clan had a slew of orcs and marro warriors to feed the zombies, but I forgot just how nasty ol Grimnak is to squaddies and just how effective Tornak can be. With the Ogre Warhulk being fairly close to the action right away, I decided to put my first 2 order markers on him to try and kill some stuff. Clan led with his Marro Warriors and took 4 shots at the Ogre and put a few wounds on him. The Ogre came down and magaged to kill one of the warriors. More shots fired and more wounds on the Ogre had him near dead, but he managed to survive. I moved him into position to get 4 attacks. I killed a Marro Warrior but was unable to kill anything else! 3 attacks of 5 dice were unable to do squat. Clan surrounded the ogre with orcs and Tornak but was unable to kill him. We reset and this could have been a huge moment in the game if it worked out in my favor. I put my #1 on the Ogre praying for intitiative. He was completely surrounded by orcs at this point and if I won the right to go first I could put a serious hurt on Clans army, unfortunatley it did not work out that way as I did not win an initiative roll the entire game (maybe 1). Clan killed the ogre and that was that. Once our armies reached each other it was not much of a match, at one point it looked like I might be able to swing things back into my favor (when Grimnak went down), but that went away quickly. Orcs, as I found out the hard way, are a bad matchup for Zombies. Their speed, disengage and boosts from their champions makes them a rough opponent. Clan's quality play coupled with poor dice rolling on my side made for a decisive win for him.
1-1 and thinking this may be a long day after all.

Round 3 vs. Fallow on Northern Passage with the Mindflayer Mastermind as the Monster.

I had never played Fallow before and was looking forward to our match. We were delayed a little as he was at McDonalds getting food at the start. He had G'nators, Krav and Nakita. His army terrified me. Not only was it rangecentric but very little food for the zombies to eat. My fears seemed to come true. I continued my horrible dice rolling for much of the game. I won initiative a total of 2 times through my first 3 games and that nearly doomed me. Fallow took the high point with one of his Nakitas and surrounded her with Gorrillas. My zombies were not tall enought to reach them over the battlements so it was a perfect spot for them to sit. I managed to get to the Krav and a Nakita (Killing the Mindflayer on the way by) but my dice rolling completely failed me. I could not kill anything! I was getting pretty disgusted and I hope that Fallow does not think I am a moron or anything, but my dice rolling was so bad. I finally killed a couple of krav, but by then my zombies were being chewed through pretty heavily. I finally killed the Krav and the Nakitas on the ground but things were still not looking good. He plowed through my Zombies with the Gorillas on height and I was down to the Guard, marcu and 2 Zombies. I brought the guard out and managed to kill one Gorilla before he went down. Then Marcu got into the action. He shot across the board and killed the remaining Nakita and then killed 2 more of the Gorillas before we timed out. In the end, he was left with a full squad of Gorillas and I was left with Marcu, but because I killed the Mindflayer, I got his points added to mine and pulled out the victory. However, my victory was a shallow one as I discovered after the game that he had been playing his Gorillanators as if they were two seperate squads. So when one of them died, he would reveal an order marker and attack with only 2, sort of like they were uncommon squads. If he would have played them the common way, I would not have won the game. Fortunately Fallow is a terrific person and did not seem in the least bit concerned with the outcome.
2-1 and feeling crappy about it.

Round 4 vs. Tyler on Fire Isles with Brunak as the Monster

This would prove to be interesting as Tyler had Q9 and I was pretty scared of him. He did have a lot of food for me with his Goblin Cutters though. We started off the game by both putting our 1 and 2 markers on Brunak and he just ran back and forth in the Lava pit, unable to attack anyone. Finally I brought my Zombies out and got a couple of unsuccessful attacks on the monster. Q9 came out and managed to kill a zombie. My Zombies continued to shamble across the board in the next round while he used Brunak to try and shake up my start zone. He killed a couple but did not do much damage. Now the game turns in my favor in a big way. I get my Zombies to where they can attack and kill a couple of goblins. He tries to shoot some with Q but is unable to kill any! Then 2 of my zombies get on the metal beast. I was not expecting much here. I was just trying to get in place for a zombie onslaught, but was only able to get 2 there so I figured I would attack anyway. Roll for the first, 2 skulls. He rolls defense. Whiff! Roll for the 2nd, 2 skulls he rolls defense, 1 shield. 2 Zombies put 3 wounds on the Major. Next round comes and I get my onslaught attack and finish off the Major. After that it was just a matter of time. The Zombies methodically ate the Goblins. I had his entire start zone hemmed in so there was no where for them to scurry to other than backwards. He killed a lot of zombies, but they rose again just as fast as he killed them. At the end of the game I had only 2 Zombies off the board and he wound up with 0 points because of the whole card scoring system.
A good win for me.

3-1 and feeling a little better because I won legitametly.

Round 5 vs. Arcus on Highways and Dieways with Dund as the monster

Arcus and I have been playing a lot lately it seems. It also seems like he always plays the same army too . He brough Deathchasers, Nerak, Me burq sa, Krav and Guilty. As was expected, we both took a little while to get set up. He got to the middle fast and put some wounds on Dund, but was unable to kill him (a fact that plays a big part in the game later). We finally met in the middle, but not a lot happened. He killed a couple of Zombies, but neither of us were really rolling dice all that well. We were pinched in pretty hard toward his side of the board, but not a lot of units were dying. I had been placing my X on Dund for the first couple of rounds, and Arcus ignored the Doggin completely. Finally I put my 1 on him and tried a single paralyzing stare. I rolled and... success! I stared down the deathchasers and removed 2 order markers from them. This proved to be the turning point as I was able to take 2 turns completely unhindered. I managed to get a few kills and started opening up some holes. Arcus tried to counter by shooting with the Krav but was unable to get any significant headway as his dice rolling failed him. The Orcs provided plenty of food for the Zombies to feed on and get back to almost full strength. He tried a surprise assault with Isamu who had been hiding behind the ruin, but I was able to completely surround him with Zombies to keep him from dissapearing. When he died the game ended. Another good win for me, especially cause Arcus beat me for the championship at the last Maryland event

4-1 and very surprised

So I finished 4-1 and 3rd place. I was very happy with how the Zombies performed, but I did get some very favorable matchups and a technicality. I will take 4-1 though and be happy.
Thanks to Tom for running the show. Great event.
Thanks also to my opponents for providing a very fun day.
Sorry the report is so long, I felt like typing this morning for some reason
Grats to Northgate on his first Tournament Championship!
Grats also to EpicAlpaca on his first tournament victory! (I think I got the right Epic)

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks to Tom for putting this on for us!

I was a little dissapointed with my day, allthough I really have no right to be. 3-2 4th overall, and won the monster slayer award! After a run of "fun" armies for me and going 3-2 with all of them, I decided to try and run something with a little more moxy this time. Maybe hoping to steal another tourny win. It was not to be, so there is the reason for my slight dissapointment.

It doesn't matter, I had fun anyhow. I didn't intend to get the monster slayer award. It kind of played out that way.

Here are some abriged battle reports.

Round 1 vs. Tyler (Wandering monster: Dund)
Tyler won iniative early and sent Dund towards my start zone. Not wanting to be hit with Dund's stare, and him being so close to me. I took him out. After that there was an Epic stand off between Q-9 and Tornak, with some gruts thrown in for good measure. Several gruts died, but finally the Q went down. After that, I was chasing goblins all around. Scury is annoying! Time was called, and victory was mine, but only due to me getting the points for the monster. 1-0 nice!

Round 2 vs. Spidysox (Wandering monster, Orge warhulk)
I went after the monster early because I was really worried about this one. As Spidy said earlier, ther was a tense moment where the orge was in my start zone, and had Spidy won iniative, he would have put a hurting on me. After that the war of attrition was on. Zombies rise again, oh no! I switched tactics and huddled the orcs around thre champions. Getting their bonuses really helped and swung the game in my favor. 2-0 whoo hoo!

Round 3 vs. Arcus. (Wandering monster: Torin)
Arcus moved Torin towards my start zone, and then basically ignored him. So I took advantage and killed it. After that it was his Death Chasers vs. my orcs, and Arcus was coming out on top. He then used his Krav to eliminate my Marro warriorss and Isamu failed to vanish. 2-1 still a chance for a 4-1 finish.

Round 4 vs. Northgate. (Wandering monster: Ice Troll)
At this point I was leading in monster kill points and Northgate was my closest competitor in that reguard. So the race for monster slayer was on. My other opponents had used the monster offensively, bringing it right to me for an easy kill. Northgate ran it away from me, so he could get an easy kill. Then it was dwarves vs. orcs in a struggle. I came out on top of that and was feeling pretty good. I had 5 orcs and Grimnak left, while he had just Theracus and the Heirloom left. I took out Theracus but could not put a dent in Heirloom. Stupid warforged resolve. I had 2 chances to chomp the warforged, but failed both. He finished me off. 2-2

Round 5 vs. Dolan (Wandering monster: Mindflayer)
With the tourny win now out of reach, my main goal became kill the monster and try for the monster slayer award. We both lead out with the Marro warriors. I put a wound on the Mindflayer, and then so did he. My second turn, I polished off the monster. He then sent his phantom knights through the middle of the map. They were met by Grimnak and some orcs. Allthough the orcs failed to do any damage, Grimnak systematically chomped all three phantom knights. Q-10 then came to play, and took out Grimnak. The orcs held Q up long enough for Tornak to enter the fray and take him out. Keamon tried to rally, but Tornak and the gruts swarmed him. 3-2

So, while I had hopes for more, this wasn't a bad day.

72 tournaments. 173 - 142 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

My goal, play every official 'scape unit in a tournament at least once. 149 down, 55 to go!
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM

TheEpicLlama Woo who?

I had a great time at the tournament, and I did OK(for it being my second tournament ever). I had some cool battles. At the beginning of the tournament spidysox said my army was a big cheese ball or something like that. I played Q10, Raelin, rats x3, and Marro Warriors.

Game 1 v. Arcus (Guilty, Me-Burq-Sa, Death Chasers x 3, Nerak, Krav Maga) on turret rocks

The game opened kinda slow as I made my wall of little rats. Arcus's Chasers started to make there way to the rats and so did the Krav Maga. The orcs also had Nerak, and Me-Burq-Sa to back them up thanks to the Chasers bonding. Raelin was out early thanks the Krav. Q10 began to start taking out the orcs and the Marro Warriors were sent out to tie up the krav (guess I did want to destroy my rat wall) but there was still one Krav on top of the mt. that I couldn't get at. Q10 took a tumble soon and was dead. Rats dispersed ever were and it was now Rats and Marro v Orcs. There were only 2 or 3 Chasers and Nerak. The Marro soon died leaving me with only rats. The crazy rats ran and scattered about and did take out 2 (or 1) leaving 1 chaser left, one Krav, Nerak with one life left. Nerak fell(about time!) and the game timed out and there was one rat left and a chaser and the Krav. Arcus said that I might of won if there was more time. Stupid timer. 0-1

Game 2 v Justine (Sam Brown, Guilty McCreech, Sir Denrick, Knights x 3) on trailblazer

Where the Iron Golem started alowed the person who won initiative to trap the opponent in the start zone. Advantage took of this and trap Justine's knights in the smaller start zone. Soon rat and knights began to swarm onto the center of the map forming a mosh pit. Raelin died somewhat early and the Iron Golem was able to withstand our attacks. I moved out Q10 out and he go some attacks on Iron Golem and didn't do much. I decided to put some order markers on the Golem and so did Justine. Soon Iron Golem Died and Q10 died as well later. When the game timed out I had the marro warriors left the the knights couldn't get to them so they were saved. 0-2

Game 3 v Northgate (Axegrinders x 3, Darrak, Heirloom, Theracus) on jungle wall

Looking back there were some things that I could of done better. I never really used the Werewolf Lord which I should of used to attack Darrak so the dwarfs couldn't bond with him.
My Q10 took awhile to get up top and he drawfs could get there fearless advantage (I think). Raelin and Q10 did last long and the Marro could do a lot against Heirloom. 0-3

Game 4 v my brother (Warriors of Ashra x 3, Charos, Sahaugin Raider) on Highways and dieways

Ugh. The problem with this game was that I wanted my brother to get his first tournament win but I need a win that day as well. I think I could of won the game if I placed my OM's beeter one round. Toward the end of the game I had my 1st and 2nd on Q10 and my 3rd on the marro. I forgot that Q10 had one life left and should of took that into consideration when placing the OMs. I got initiative and Q10 he could not do what he needed and he dided on the my brothers 1st. So this gave my brother the chance to get the warriors and they died.
But I scored more points then him. Thanks Dund
0-4 (insert sad face here)

Game 5 v Fallow (Krav Maga Agents, Nakita Agents, Gorillinators x 2) on Ticalla Sunrise

This army scared me snice the two main figures I was attacking with was Q10 and the marro both range so the krav could easily evade the attacks. We both left the Troll alone and I sent out my rat to tie up units. Fallow hates rats. I did use the troll some times but Fallow used him to get adjacent to Q10 when I was moving him out and I wound up killing him. Q10 moved out and began I shell the enemy and Raelin fallowed. I found new hatred in the Gorillinators with their tought and they were the hardest of all to kill. I was able to take out the Gorillinators landing me my only win at the tournament. I have now become Fallows bane beating him at Pitman and here.
1-4 (insert happy face here)

Somehow after the tournament my brother had a better record then me but I had destroyed more points then him. Tournament wise I am now 3-6 (4-6 if you could the by I took at Pitman.)

Thanks Tom for hosting!

Old January 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpicLlama View Post
I had a great time at the tournament, and I did OK(for it being my second tournament ever). I had some cool battles. At the beginning of the tournament spidysox said my army was a big cheese ball or something like that.
Please don't take offense at that remark I made. It's pretty much our standard comment when we see some of the best units in the game being played. Just ask Tom how many times we've called his armies cheese

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!

Sounds like a great day, guys. Congrats to Northgate. Wish I could have been there. A big hello to Clan, Tom, Spideysox, and all the mid-Atlantic area regulars.

Old January 16th, 2011, 04:17 PM

TheEpicLlama Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpicLlama View Post
I had a great time at the tournament, and I did OK(for it being my second tournament ever). I had some cool battles. At the beginning of the tournament spidysox said my army was a big cheese ball or something like that.
Please don't take offense at that remark I made. It's pretty much our standard comment when we see some of the best units in the game being played. Just ask Tom how many times we've called his armies cheese
None taken.

Old January 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM

TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker

My second tournament was a blast, with my first 2 tourny wins. I played Warriors of Ashra x 3, Charos, Sahaugin Raider. This is my first battle report so it might not be so good.

Game 1 against tom. Mindflayer Mastermind. (tom played vipes x 7 and venoc warlord).

We both started by moving our armies up the road. Next turn tom crossed through the middle and started attacking because he did not want to get tied up with the MM. My warriors stayed strong. Next we both started to use the MM. Later Charos ate him up so I got the points. After the 3rd or 4th round tom started to hit his frenzy, even 3 times a row. The vipers were still dropping like flys but my warriors were going down at a steady rate too. Even charos had some wounds on him and his counter strike wasn't doing it's job. In the end the frenzy did it's work and I couldn't keep up. How did I lose that game? 0-1

Game 2 against Northgate. Wyvern. (Northgate played Axegrinders x 3, Darrak, Heirloom, Theracus)

This was the fastest game ever. Northgate started by bringing wyvern over and chopping it to pieces. By then I was halfway up the map. he brought the grinders back and sent out Heirloom, he did his share of work. I sent out charos to get rid of him but he brought Heirloom back and sent out his grinders and they took out charos. I focused my attack on Heirloom but he kept on blowing me up with the grinders coming in to finish the job. I didn't touch theracus and got no wounds on Heirloom and only killed 2 grinders. With full card scoring I walked away with no points. The only thing good about finishing a game early was it gave me time to eat my sandwhich. Oh well I am used to going 0-2.

Game 3 against Dolan, with ferrall troll. ( Dolan playing Marro Warriors, Phantom Knights, Major Q10, Kaemon Awa).

Dolan started using the ferall troll to tie up Charos and one squad of warriors. Charos took to long to kill the ferall troll, but Charos did have some good defense rolls against his blood frenzy. By the time the troll was dead I had one warrior down with 6 wounds on Charos. At the same time Q10 was blasting away. Charos then flew towards Kaemon Awa and got 3 wounds on him, but then Kaemon took out charos. Then the warriors were coming up the middle cutting down the Marro Warriors as they walked forward, Q10 still firing away. With my last squad of warriors I took out Kaemon Awa. Then I sent my raider to try and flank Q10. But once he was in range Q10 shot him down.
0-3 not so happy.

Game 4 against The(not)EpicLlama, Dund. ( TEL played major Q10, Raelin, Marro Warriors, Deathreavers x 3).

We both started with moving dund back and forth but I got a crippling gaze on his rats along with killing one. With the map being so choppy he couldn't get his whole wall of rats up across the map. I sent Charos to get rid of Q10 while flying over the rats and risking a leaving engagment. But first I had to get rid of Raelin. By the time I did that, Charos had 6 wounds. I turned around and before Charos died I got 2 wounds on Q10. As Q10 got into position to start attacking my warriors I sent my raider with it's blood frenzy to finish off Q10. It only got 1 more wound on him. By this time I had 6 rats down and the Marro Warriors so I sent a warrior to try to get rid of Q10. With a deathwalker roll Q10 fell. Now only one squad of rats left. With 4 warriors it wasn't hard. In the end I had 2 warriors left. Finally a win! 1-3 so far.

Game 5 against Justine, with the Werewolf lord.( justine playing Sam Brown, Guilty McCreech, Sir Denrick, Knights x 3)

Jungle wall was a map with a lot of elevation so we only really fought on the sides, plus the road aloud us to get there fast. In the beginning I used the WW to get 4 wounds on Denrick. Then the warriors and knights went at it, with 2 knights going down but no warriors. On the other side one squad of warriors had strength in numbers as they surrounded one knight at a time and beat it up. But then they got stuck with 2 knights with height and no way around. Back on the other side Denrick was down and I had one warrior left with Sam Brown firing away, so I sent another squad of warriors along with Charos. When the reinforcements got there Charos had a hard time finding a spot to chew on Sam brown because he was up against the battlements with a ruin in front of him. But when he did it took 2 attacks to get rid of him. In one last attempt Justine threw 3 kinghts at Charos but they all got countered strike. Charos going into Justine's starting zone with 8 wounds ate up Justine's last knight and guilty. I had 2 warriors left with the raider and Charos!

Thanks tom for a great time and my first 2 tournament wins!
Congrats to Northgate for winning the tournament.
spidysox you did get the right epic.
And Fallow good luck with the heroscape museum.
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM

grunttactics Woo who?

Great battle reports all. I wish I had been there.

Hey, Northgate! Your annoying little dwarves finally came through for you! Congratulations dude!

Congratulations to Clan too for killing off all the uglies!

And do another one, Tom!

Regards,
Fred
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunttactics View Post
Great battle reports all. I wish I had been there.

Hey, Northgate! Your annoying little dwarves finally came through for you! Congratulations dude!

Congratulations to Clan too for killing off all the uglies!

And do another one, Tom!

Regards,
Fred
I will certainly be running another tournament in the future, so no need to worry Fred.

I am really enjoying reading these battle reports and am just putting the finishing touches on mine. It doesn't seem like many people played the Wandering Monsters all that much from the reports. I feel like the monsters played a small but important role in my games but not so much for the rest of the players. Am I wrong or were the monsters primarily bonus kill points for one player?
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:42 PM

fallow is surprisingly tart

Thanks for the tourney Tom!

FYI about the Wandering Monsters - In my battles I'd say 2 had back and forth usage of the WM, 2 were left virtually unused and 1 had a marker or two placed on it.
It was interesting and different and I enjoyed it.
I wouldn't mind seeing WM used again or some other new format.

-Member, defeated by Xanth club.

-Selling most of my 'Scape to keep from losing my house :/
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Sorry for the long post and I am warning you ahead of time that I am not good at battle reports. I did add a second paragraph on each report to describe the effects of the Wandering Monster on the match.

I decided to run with the Venoc Warlord and Venoc Vipers x 7.

Round 1 vs. The Epic Alpaca - Warriors of Ashra x 3, Charos, Sahaugin Raider
Map: Northern Passage with the Mindflayer Mastermind
I was worried about this match up because The Epic Alpaca’s army was as anti-melee as you can get. The game started off with me missing many frenzy rolls. I was losing vipers pretty quickly and I was getting worried. Then my luck changed and I started hitting the frenzy more often. The WoA are good at blocking melee attacks, but even they can’t survive against 6 or even 9 attacks per turn. After the WoA were out of the way, Charos came out. Unfortunately for The Epic Alpaca Charos failed some critical defense rolls and went down without much of a fight.

The Mindflayer Mastermind definitely had an impact on the game. I used him a couple of times to kill and pull some order markers off of the WoA, but I was never able to hit the 17 to control Charos. Epic Alpaca only used the Mastermind a couple times and only managed to remove the X order marker from my Vipers.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Fallow - Krav Maga Agents, Nakita Agents, Gorillinators x 2
Map: Fire Isles with Brunak
This was a classic quality vs. quantity match. The Viper hordes came screaming out of their start zone throughout the game and pinned Fallow into his start zone early. We traded casualties back and forth but in the numbers game I had the advantage. I was able to kill a couple of Krav and one Nakita and that really affected the efficiency of Fallow’s order markers. He was only killing one or two snakes a turn and that allowed me to get one or two into engagement even without hitting the Frenzy roll. It really came down to the shooters just not being able to kill enough Vipers per turn.

Brunak didn’t have much of an effect on this game. I attacked him right away because I was really afraid of him getting into my start zone and using his special attack to wipe out my hordes of snakes. This match could have been very different if Brunak had made it to my start zone. He also would have been pretty good at hitting Fallow’s dudes as well. In retrospect I think both of us missed an opportunity to exploit the monster during the match.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Johngee - Kaemon Awa, Airborne Elite, Krav Maga, Blastatrons, Otonashi
Map: Highways and Dieways with Dund
What a great game. Lesson learned: Airborne Elite and Vipers do not play well together. I was really looking forward to rushing the Vipers forward with their 12 move on the road. I was so excited by this all out offensive rush that I failed to break up my clump of snakes in the start zone which will prove near fatal later on. Johngee’s start zone got hit hard and the Vipers took out all three of the Krav, a few Blastatrons and even put 2 wounds on Kaemon Awa (with the help of Dund). Things were looking good until the start of the third or fourth round when the AE dropped. I really dropped the ball by not dispersing my snakes and Johngee took full advantage of my mistake. The AE dropped all around the Vipers including the one that landed in my start zone. It came down to an initiative roll. If I win, the snakes dine on the soldiers. If I lose, the AE would grenade the heck out of my start zone, which is exactly what happened. I think I lost 15 or so Vipers plus two wounds on the Venoc Warlord. Next turn the snakes killed most of the AE but the damage was done.

At this point, the Venoc Warlord really needed to earn his keep and he did in a big way. It was down to the wounded Warlord vs. a wounded KA and a Blastatron. After some maneuvering John managed to get a double strike on the Warlord before I could engage him. I think I took 3 wounds and was left with 1. Warlord moves adjacent to Kaemon, I get extremely lucky and puts the final two hits on him. Next turn he kills the Blastatron and I win, or not! Johngee then reminds me he still has Otonoshi hiding behind a wall in his start zone. Fortunately for me the Warlord was able to defeat Otonoshi after exchanging a few tense attacks. Awesome game!

Dund helped John a bit during the game without him even putting an order marker on the Doggin. He clogged the middle of the board and prevented my snakes from taking the short road to their targets. Later Dund helped me by smacking Kaemon Awa for a wound which would prove critical in the endgame. This match was the first time I stole a monster kill from someone as well. John got the Doggin down to one wound when a Viper came up from behind and put the finishing wound on him. Its fun to steal other people’s work!

3-0

Round 4 vs. Arcus - Guilty, Me-Burq-Sa, Death Chasers x 3, Nerak, Krav Maga
Map: Embattled Fen with Runa

This match was pretty one sided right from the get go. Arcus took an interesting approach to the battle by splitting his Death Chasers into three sets. One to defend the Krav and Nerak in the start zone, one to head off toward Runa, and a third to head down the road connecting the two turrets. I was rolling the D20 really well and the Death Chasers 2 defense was no match for the Vipers three attack especially with 6 or 9 attacks coming in per turn. Not so sure that Nerak would have helped all that much had he been toward the front but concentrating all of the Death Chasers together to get three attacks per turn even with taking casualties definitely would have resulted in more dead snakes.

Runa played a pretty big role in this match. Arcus completely ignored her so I took the opportunity to move her toward a clump of Death Chasers and Me-Burq-Sa. She killed a Death Chaser with her helm and then punched MBS in the face for a wound. I jumped her around a few times during the game and took out three Death Chasers with her helm. At the end she soaked up several attacks that could have killed some snakes and was brought down to one wound. I snuck in yet again and took the monster kill away at the last second.

I really felt that Runa would have been pretty nasty had she come my way. Parking her in front of my start zone would have pinned in my snakes and given Arcus time to get into better position. She also had plenty of targets in my tightly packed start zone for her Helm of Mintosoul.

4-0

Round 5 vs. Northgate - Axegrinders x 3, Darrak, Heirloom, Theracus
Map: Torin’s Maze of Doom with (surprisingly enough) Torin

This match started out real well for me. Snakes were streaming out across the board and hitting the dwarfs in their start zone. Dwarfs were dropping like flies and I was feeling pretty good. Northgate was very focused on killing Torin because he and Clancampbell were in a race for the Monster Slayer award. Yet again I was able to swoop in on the last wound and finish the Cyclops off. Then things started to go south for me. Heirloom was airlifted to the center of the board and on the next turn managed to start bombing my start zone with magical orbs. I made the same stupid mistake that I did in the match against Johngee and failed to disperse my snakes. This time it would cost me as Northgate managed to kill all of my reserves. The few snakes that did manage to get to Heirloom failed to inflict more than a wound or two. The match came down to Heirloom with 2 wounds remaining and my Venoc Warlord with 4 wounds remaining. After some maneuvering, the Warlord and Heirloom met in the center of the map to fight to the finish. In the end Heirloom prevailed and Northgate won a well deserved victory.

Torin really didn’t do much in the match except attract dwarven axes. I didn’t use him because I knew he wouldn’t do much against the dwarfs with his large size. Northgate only wanted to use him to get the kill for the Monster Slayer.

4-1 at the end of the day. Not a bad day of Scape. I had 5 good matches and got to hang out with some really great people. I learned that Vipers are a heck of a lot of fun to play and I have a feeling that a 500 point Viper army may just show up in Vineland on February 12th.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events