Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Notices

Old February 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Skwib is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Smile Re: Players who got hooked through Marvelscape.

Add me to the list. Bought the game about a year ago on clearance, mostly because I'm a Marvel buff and Venom is my favorite character. Since there aren't that many board games out there with Venom included, I decided it would be worth the twenty clams to check out.

Since then I have invested HEAVILY in additional terrain, customs, and Heroclix figures that immediately undergo "surgery" to become official Heroscape figures. I just finished up my horde of Skrull warriors, and I'm now starting on my horde of Hydra warriors. I've also just recently purchased the Scapecity Expansion Pack 1 by 'peterparkerh'. GREAT addition!!

I would say 90% of my Heroscape figures are Marvel related, with the other 8% being Marro drones and such. Not interested in any of the non-Marvel Heroscape characters, though I did pick up a "Wonder Woman" to make my girlfriend happy.

Yesterday I purchased an extra set of glyphs off ebay to customize into Marvel-style weapons and such.

All in all, MarvelScape has proven to be quite the addiction so far.
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:12 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Players who got hooked through Marvelscape.

Welcome to the site and the list, Skwib!

Isn't it great that Heroclix was around to provide us with such a huge variety of figures for Marvelscape? Honestly, even if official Marvelscape continues production, there's no way certain characters (like Stilt-Man) will ever make the cut.
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Count me in as well. I had stared at Heroscape for years but always thought that it was a bit too pricey to experiment with if I really had no one to play with.

Then last September when my wife couldn't decide what to get me for my birthday, I asked my 5 year old Marvel-addicted son if he would learn the (basic) game and play with me. It took him 30 seconds on hasbro's site to beg me to run to Toys-R-Us and pick up the Marvel set for $19.99.

I went out, bought my own birthday present and have been gathering up Heroclix for customs ever since. A month into the experience my 17 year old nephew asked me to teach him the advanced game and we quickly got hooked on adding to our world with the official heroscape waves as they get re-released.

I owe my new obsession to the Marvel license and the custom creators on this web site. Hey hasbro... you should share some of my buy in with the likes of Grey Owl, Hi..., Whitestuff, Sherman, and the rest.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM

Bill Sykes Woo who?

Buying Marevelscape got me hooked on Heroscape, so count me on that list.

Smilyvillle is being taken over! IT'S THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

Luckily, a resistance has been formed.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Sorry for the delay in updating, Matt Helm - you and Bill Sykes have been added. Thanks for sharing your story!

Strange, but it seems a lot of people who got into Marvelscape got into it through a gift, as opposed to buying it for themselves. I hear a lot more of that when it comes to the Marvel set than I do about RotV or SotM. Maybe it's the lower price that makes it an easier gift choice?
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

On Super Bowl Sunday my son forced a few of my friends (who were hoping to throw down a little poker) to join him in a quick Marvelscape before the game came on. Both of them have kids and right after falling to my boy's amazing luck at dice, they asked me where to get a set so that they could play with their own boys.

I think the Marvel set has great appeal for family playing as the kids love the Marvel characters on just about anything, and the parents can play the traditional family board games just so many times before going insane.

I really don't know how they blew it with the license, this should have been huge. I can only think that it was a dual mistake:
1 - The MSRP was a bit expensive for the causal buyer to take a chance.
2 - The big stores might have tried throwing a few boxes in the Marvel Action figure aisle rather than burying them all in the board game section. I would think a Marvel Heroscape (and a few reinforcements) would look mighty good among the Muggs, the Super Squad smiley things, and the movie licensed action figures.
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Yeah, I know it would've been making an exception to their planograms or something, but I really think you're right about how Marvelscape should've been displayed along with all the other Marvel action figures and such that Toys R Us and Target sold.
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM

pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker

Can't spread anymore rep around today, but, it really is too bad that Marvel hasn't been given more attention as it has brought in a lot of players, and after 2 years is sortof, well . . . in need of some expansions +. The game system really would be good for innumerable venues, but alas.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM

UnluckyNumber Woo who?

Hi. I've been lurking for the last couple months, but this is my first post. I too got hooked through Marvelscape, at least partly. It's actually one of several things that finally led me to take the plunge with Heroscape.

I've known about Heroscape for a couple years now, but I always held off on bothering with it. I tend to spend a lot of money on games and already had several CMGs I was a fan of so I just wasn't sure I could afford the money for yet another game line. But it did look nice.

As a big comic book and superhero fan, I'd been collecting Heroclix since the beginning but had finally grown disenchanted with the gameplay and the company. I didn't stop hoping for a well made superheroes miniatures game to play in however. So, after having seen Marvel Heroscape sitting on the shelf at my local WalMart month after month after month, I eventually decided to buy myself a copy. I wasn't particularly interested in the terrain though; it just didn't look like enough to really do anything with. I mainly bought Marvelscape for the figures, hoping that I might have the opportunity to use them when playing with my friends who were far, far more into Heroscape than I.

And then I got lucky. At one of the local Goodwills last year, I managed to find a complete copy of Heroscape: Rise of the Valkyrie for only $3.38. Wow! Now I actually had enough terrain to actually build something, and a whole heck of a lot of oh so nice looking HS figures of samurai and WW II soldiers and vikings. However I was still more interested in the superhero aspect of it, if only Hasbro would actually release more of the Marvel characters for HS...

And then, while browsing the forums over at BoardGameGeek, I came across a link to this site. Specifically, a link to the thread here containing all the awesome superhero and supervillain HS conversions made by fans like GreyOwl and AllSkulls, from Batman and Superman to Hellboy and Abe Sapian to Power Pack and The X-Men and the Teen Titans.

That was pretty much the final nail in my coffin, and ever since I've been quietly lurking around here, gradually printing out the superhero Heroscape conversions a few at a time to one day soon use with all my Heroclix figures I no longer use in Heroclix. I've also started buying up all the old HS figure packs I can find at my local stores since, now that I actually have a fair number of them, I can actually picture myself playing the game even without the "superhero" element.

And that's my story.
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnluckyNumber View Post
And that's my story.
And a good one it is. Welcome to the site and the list of Marvelscapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnluckyNumber View Post
I've also started buying up all the old HS figure packs I can find at my local stores since, now that I actually have a fair number of them, I can actually picture myself playing the game even without the "superhero" element.
I think you'll find that the game plays well in any way - with supers, without supers, mixing the two... it's just a great, great game.
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Plordigian is surprisingly tart

I got into the game through Marvelscape and the prospect of combining the superheroes with the other armies and heroes, but IMHO the regular Heroscape is more enjoyable and addictive.
So count me in, but I'm a convert, defector, whatever.
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plordigian View Post
I got into the game through Marvelscape and the prospect of combining the superheroes with the other armies and heroes, but IMHO the regular Heroscape is more enjoyable and addictive.
So count me in, but I'm a convert, defector, whatever.
Evil, heretic, dead wrong?

Just kiddin' ya, Plordigian.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion