Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!
Help me pick a dungeon crawl.

So I have games that script combat in just about every way but I lack a pure dungeon crawl game. The closest I have is Space Hulk which I don't consider a true crawl because the randomness exists only with the dice and the opponent, and not the board itself.

So with that in mind, I'm looking at five different dungeon crawl games and I'm seeking the community's opinion. Or if you have a great game that I'm missing, let me know that as well.

1. Descent: Don't all dungeon crawl discussions have to start here?

What I like: Plenty of heroes, enemies and expansions. I'm a sucker for expansions.

What I don't like: I've heard the game takes forever to play. I don't know how often a game that takes 4 hours will see light at my table. Also, my game group is rarely over two players. Is this game terrible with just 2 players. Assuming one plays the overlord and the other plays 4 heroes?

2. Doom: Sci-Fi Descent

What I like: I've heard it's shorter than Descent. The figs look good (even if they are unpainted) and I like the Doom universe. One expansion doesn't hurt either.

What I don't like: Unpainted minis, the heroes are all the same and I've heard its much more difficult to win with the heroes in Doom than Descent.

3. Claustrophobia

What I like: Love the sculpts, the fact that it's geared towards two people, it's geared to be a quicker game and the fact that the figs are prepainted. I like the place your dice to choose your action mechanic.

What I don't like: If this game had an expansion, I would probably already own it. Lack of any expansions is a concern to me, especially when coinciding with my other concerns of the lack of sculpts. I'm not wild about the fact that four of the heroes are the same two sculpts.

4. DungeonQuest (soon to be released)

What I like: Looks cool and shorter. The fact that I can play it by myself is a plus as well.

What I don't like: It isn't out yet obviously but will it be big enough? How much replayability there will be?

5. DnD Castle Raveloft

What I like: Plenty of figs and tiles and I can play alone.

What I don't: The figs look like recycled DnD minis. So.... if I just keep collecting Heroscape, won't I just have them all anyway?

Other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games