Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:09 AM

ToyotaGT1 is surprisingly tart
What happened to heroscape?

Ok, so I was having a hard time thinking on a title for this thread, but thats the best I could come up with.

Now, what I want to know is, why isnt Heroscape carried in ANY mainstream brick and mortar store anymore? The last masterset I bought, the marvel set, I found nestled in between a bunch of other board games at one of my local Wal-marts. This was about 2 months ago. Around the same time, another Wal-Mart carred the DnD master set. Now, after about 2 months, both Wal-Marts, and every other large store (target, Kmart, Toy R Us), doesnt carry anything.

Now I remember when Heroscape came out, and you could buy just about everything at wal-mart, except for the few toys r us exclusives.

Also, I know how the game started under the Milton Bradley brand, but then was transferred to WotC. Was the transfer of companies the reason why just about every large store stopped carrying Heroscape?

And one more thing. I know the whole deal about how people have referred to Heroscape as a collectible miniatures game (CMG).

So why now, after the transfer of the brand from Milton Bradley to WotC, has the game become harder to find and more expensive? Why have certain sets (Thaelenk Tundra, Ticalla Jungle, Volcarren Wasteland) seeminglyceased production and now costs have sky rocketed and have become next to impossible to get a hold of?

Was this the plan of WotC?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What happened to heroscape?

Hasbro, not Milton Bradley. And I think increased sales demands the product couldn't meet have something to do with an exodus from big box stores. Theoretically, Walmart still carries the product, but I'm not sure how consistently this theory is put into practice. With the changeover to WotC, I think more of a local gamestore emphasis was put on the product and they seem to be going for a slightly older, more "gamer" demographic rather than a younger, more "family" demographic.
I dunno, I really only play Superhero customs anymore.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:26 AM

Well yes, Milton Bradley is a subsidiary of Hasbro. But, it just boggles me.

Its evident by Ebay and this website alone that Heroscape has a HUGE following and fan base. It just doesnt make sense that WotC wouldnt try to keep up with demand, because they COULD be making money if they returned Heroscape to the mainstream stores?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:57 AM

Biggie is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaGT1 View Post
Well yes, Milton Bradley is a subsidiary of Hasbro. But, it just boggles me.

Its evident by Ebay and this website alone that Heroscape has a HUGE following and fan base. It just doesnt make sense that WotC wouldnt try to keep up with demand, because they COULD be making money if they returned Heroscape to the mainstream stores?
Not in it's current state could they return to mainstream stores. I'm still waiting for them to drop the name "Heroscape" with the changes that have already occured to this game I used to be excited about. I still love to play Heroscape!*

*Classic Heroscape, before it became D&D.

It's just a "game"?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:15 AM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Now, what I want to know is, why isnt Heroscape carried in ANY mainstream brick and mortar store anymore? The last masterset I bought, the marvel set, I found nestled in between a bunch of other board games at one of my local Wal-marts. This was about 2 months ago. Around the same time, another Wal-Mart carred the DnD master set. Now, after about 2 months, both Wal-Marts, and every other large store (target, Kmart, Toy R Us), doesnt carry anything.
The Wal-Marts near me are hit and miss. One will carry it for about 9 months, then drop it. Then another will pick it up for 6 months, then drop it. It is hit and miss, but Heroscape can still be found in brick and mortar locations. There are also a couple of FLGS that carry it in my area.

That being said, when a new wave comes out, I do most of my purchasing online because I know I can purchase what I need (4x commons) without a wait or without being charged a premium.

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM

I just wish execs would just understand that some people DON'T want to buy online. Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer to drive to store, and buy Heroscape items off a shelf. I mean, dont get me wrong, I love buying things off the internet as well..I just wish I still had the option to buy in a store.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I just wish execs would just understand that some people DON'T want to buy online. Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer to drive to store, and buy Heroscape items off a shelf. I mean, dont get me wrong, I love buying things off the internet as well..I just wish I still had the option to buy in a store.
Check these locations near you.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM

Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby!

I think Buying on-line is a good tool. It also shows stores they can't price gouge us.

It is sad though that the big chains stopped carrying Heroscape. When TRU stopped I thought it was the end of the game. Now that some Walmarts have stopped I'm just happy to be able to buy it on-line! I'm not one to want to have to hunt down product in stores when I can just go to my Fav. on-line store and Click and Get!

Born of Two Signs / Also Might have Two Sides
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

I've gathered about half my collection from various Wally Worlds. I just grab what I can, when I can. It is a shame Heroscape isn't in large retailers any more. Buying online is fun and efficient, but you could lose money if you don't buy in bulk. Shipping prices are pretty crazy nowadays, but I'll pay up if it means more 'Scape for me.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Check these locations near you.
I knew their were some Hobby and Game shops here. I'll have to go visit them and see what they have, but I honestly think they aren't going to carry any heroscape stuff. I have some free time tomorrow that I think I'll go check a couple of them out.

But as for buying online, yes, Ive had to buy all but 1 set of Heroscape from Ebay. I dont even want to get started on the shipping. Most people in order to save money only will ship the cheapest, even if I offer to pay for faster service. When I bought the RotV master set, the guy shipped it Parcel Post and took almost 2 1/2 weeks to get....
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Have you tried online retailers at all? There are a bunch advertising on the home page of this site that are pretty good - and I can't imagine eBay has better prices.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:39 PM

I actually haven't bought anything from online retailers except from Ebay. I dunno..I just like to look on Ebay..it just has a much greater selection of stuff to choose from.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion