Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old November 20th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

And with that, Stygian Rift is inducted (and three more maps are knocking on the door)! Congrats @Typhon2222 !
Old November 20th, 2021, 08:47 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Congrats @Typhon2222 indeed!
Old November 20th, 2021, 10:49 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
And with that, Stygian Rift is inducted (and three more maps are knocking on the door)! Congrats @Typhon2222 !
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Congrats @Typhon2222 indeed!
YAY! Oh boy, this made my day.
@Flash_19 , @OEAO , @heroscaper2010 , thank you! I'm pleased as (spiked) punch.
Old November 21st, 2021, 11:32 AM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

After taking another look at it since the nomination, The Swamps of Oighir Scath has an issue where a double-spaced figure (or two single-spaced figures) standing on the glyph from the middle of the four level-1 Swamp/Ice spaces can prevent another double-spaced figure from ever engaging them.

If this isn’t deal breaking, great! If it is, I totally get it.

Last edited by Sheep; November 21st, 2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old November 21st, 2021, 07:44 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Stygian Rift
Overall, this map is solid. However, there is a pull to the center and right out of the start zone, and this is typically where armies mass up on the map. The molten lava on level two does help mitigate the pull to the level two height on the center right of the start zone by creating narrower paths for development. The fact that the molten lava is same-level (or unbounded molten lava) is an issue for a top-tier map, however it is fairly limited to certain parts of the map. Lastly, there are some pretty apparent Raelin perches.

Despite those issues, this map still shines. The placement of shadow tiles relative to lava is fantastic – the decision making created by the conflict between height on lava and boosted defense on shadow keeps the map from feeling stale. The whole map typically ends up being used and LOS blockers are placed well throughout it.

Dance of the Dryads
I will freely admit that that way this map is built both impresses me and causes me pain. It is amazing what Typhon2222 has done with so limited terrain, but those 24-hex dungeon tiles are living life on the edge. Considering how much I paid for my dungeon terrain, there is no way I am EVER building this map how the build instructions say to – I will always add additional supports under those 24-hex pieces. Maybe I baby my terrain too much, but I care a lot about how well maps are supported, and I think top-tier maps should be built in a way that there isn’t any undue stress on any pieces.

I say all that to add weight to the fact that I am going to upvote this map anyway. Typhon has done an excellent job with this one. Sure, it has other quirks – the pull to the left, the road speed bumps that limit the usefulness of the road to the right of the start zone, and the opportunities to make headaches for double based figures through double-based denial (also, as an aesthetic sidenote, I cringe every time I see gaps in a map, but that’s a small nitpick). The excellent placement of LOS blockers help limit the effectiveness of podding range on the left by denying shots on approaching units. Double spacers still have options, and one of the spots for double based denial is on a lava field space – making it risky to keep units there. Still, I wish that outermost lava two hex on level 3 had been turned so the end adjacent to shadow is moved inward one space – that would have solved most of the double base denial issues on the map.

@Flash_19 , thank you for the detailed analysis, and for the suggestions for improvement!

Your description of Dance of the Dryad's 24-hex dungeon tiles "living life on the edge" had me laughing. I'm curious, though, what your worries are..... Do you fear that the 24-hex slabs will actually break?

I really like your suggestion to turn the outermost level-three lava 2-hexer so that the end adjacent to shadow is moved inward one space. And following upon that, I would probably move that shadow tile one space inward as well, so that that moved bit of lava can still be contested from downhill shadow. Oh well, too late now, I guess.
Old November 21st, 2021, 08:09 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

It’s one of the nice things about the WoS, @Typhon2222 , is that maps may be updated and re-reviewed!

So if you have some tweaks, feel free to make them and see how they strike you
Old November 21st, 2021, 11:30 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Stygian Rift
Overall, this map is solid. However, there is a pull to the center and right out of the start zone, and this is typically where armies mass up on the map. The molten lava on level two does help mitigate the pull to the level two height on the center right of the start zone by creating narrower paths for development. The fact that the molten lava is same-level (or unbounded molten lava) is an issue for a top-tier map, however it is fairly limited to certain parts of the map. Lastly, there are some pretty apparent Raelin perches.

Despite those issues, this map still shines. The placement of shadow tiles relative to lava is fantastic – the decision making created by the conflict between height on lava and boosted defense on shadow keeps the map from feeling stale. The whole map typically ends up being used and LOS blockers are placed well throughout it.

Dance of the Dryads
I will freely admit that that way this map is built both impresses me and causes me pain. It is amazing what Typhon2222 has done with so limited terrain, but those 24-hex dungeon tiles are living life on the edge. Considering how much I paid for my dungeon terrain, there is no way I am EVER building this map how the build instructions say to – I will always add additional supports under those 24-hex pieces. Maybe I baby my terrain too much, but I care a lot about how well maps are supported, and I think top-tier maps should be built in a way that there isn’t any undue stress on any pieces.

I say all that to add weight to the fact that I am going to upvote this map anyway. Typhon has done an excellent job with this one. Sure, it has other quirks – the pull to the left, the road speed bumps that limit the usefulness of the road to the right of the start zone, and the opportunities to make headaches for double based figures through double-based denial (also, as an aesthetic sidenote, I cringe every time I see gaps in a map, but that’s a small nitpick). The excellent placement of LOS blockers help limit the effectiveness of podding range on the left by denying shots on approaching units. Double spacers still have options, and one of the spots for double based denial is on a lava field space – making it risky to keep units there. Still, I wish that outermost lava two hex on level 3 had been turned so the end adjacent to shadow is moved inward one space – that would have solved most of the double base denial issues on the map.

@Flash_19 , thank you for the detailed analysis, and for the suggestions for improvement!

Your description of Dance of the Dryad's 24-hex dungeon tiles "living life on the edge" had me laughing. I'm curious, though, what your worries are..... Do you fear that the 24-hex slabs will actually break?

I really like your suggestion to turn the outermost level-three lava 2-hexer so that the end adjacent to shadow is moved inward one space. And following upon that, I would probably move that shadow tile one space inward as well, so that that moved bit of lava can still be contested from downhill shadow. Oh well, too late now, I guess.
I hope I wasn't too brutal - I really do think both maps are great. Hopefully that came through in the reviews.

Honestly, I'm not really worried about them breaking. I am worried about 24 hexes warping though. It drives me crazy trying to build maps with warped tiles that don't always sit flush. Maybe I'm just OCD? I recognize that I probably stress too much about my tiles, but then I really want them to last as long as possible...

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old November 22nd, 2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I hope I wasn't too brutal - I really do think both maps are great. Hopefully that came through in the reviews.

Honestly, I'm not really worried about them breaking. I am worried about 24 hexes warping though. It drives me crazy trying to build maps with warped tiles that don't always sit flush. Maybe I'm just OCD? I recognize that I probably stress too much about my tiles, but then I really want them to last as long as possible...
Absolutely it came through. Upvotes speak volumes, believe me. It's a serious honor.

I hear you about warping. I have a few 24-hex swamp slabs that don't sit flush on all sides, and they drive me crazy too. I bought them used, though, from eBay, so figure the previous owner must have subjected them to some strange lab experiment, or else turned them over to a five-year-old monster. So far, no tiles that I bought new myself have ever warped — excepting a few that I spray painted and then left outdoors too long in the summer sun. They ended up buckling like New Year's promises.
Old November 26th, 2021, 04:53 PM

Built Bad Moon Rising but added the 4 unused end bases/pillars to better mark what the start zones are.

Definitely impressed with how good the map looks!
Old November 26th, 2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Built Bad Moon Rising but added the 4 unused end bases/pillars to better mark what the start zones are.

Definitely impressed with how good the map looks!
Nice!
Yes, that Bad Moon Rising is a looker.
Old November 27th, 2021, 01:21 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Battlefield 23

I feel like this map has been around for a long time, which is weird because it hasn’t. Nevertheless, that it has so solidly inserted itself into my brain as “generic good map” speaks to its quality. There’s just so many obvious good things here - careful use of LOS blockers, excellent pathing, good multiple options for height, balanced startzone deployment.

My first concern when I started judging the map was the size. It is quite fat across the middle and I was worried that this would lead to large parts of the map staying empty. However in my experience even medium-sized armies will tend to move around the map in search of more height options to play with.

Overall, not a lot to say here - it’s just a very solid map. YES to induct.

Belly of the Beast

I have had several fun games on this map, and wouldn’t really be upset to play more on it. This terrain combo is a favorite of mine (Wyrmwalk, which is the same combo but with one more BftU set). 1xBftU with no additional master sets is a challenge to work with, and overall I find the gameplay on this one to be quite nice. I can excuse some of the weirdness in the footprint shape due to the material constraints.

Nevertheless there are a few issues. One is the multiple asymetries. One startzone has a fully waterlogged space (water surrounded by water) so a full startzone single-spaced army would lose a full figure move playing from there. More pressing is that the other startzone gets shadow space start positions, and has closer access to the lone level 4 space on the map. Overall, the shadow startzone seems a fair bit better, to the point that I would always want to place first on this map.

Also, the choice to have the elevated road with the railings always seems strange to me on this map. In practice I’ve found that it leads to the back side of the map seeing less use. The nature of that elevated road section, with the molten lava and tree blocking some of the access, can make it pretty easy to block up in some games as well.

Overall, as I said, I have generally enjoyed my games on this map, but it just has a few too many issues for me to overlook. NO to induct.

Highways or the High Way, Jungle Edition

This map is one where I had most of a review ready to go before the WoS ground to a halt years ago. However, the years have not dimmed my affection for this map. As I’ve said several times, I value maps that deliver unique experiences that are still reasonably balanced and dynamic. To me, this map delivers on that.

This map steers right into the “two hill problem”, but lives to tell the tale. The use of road in the middle with some steps on each side makes going across the gap much less painful than it is on most other maps with this basic shape. This is probably the best use of ladders in any tournament map, ever. I’ve seen them on other maps but in no other map do they feel so essential to gameplay. They provide critical links across the gap, and add some extra virtual height against the glyphs.

That said, the worst thing I can say about this map is that it can, at times, collapse to one side. I’ve seen many games where 90% of the action took place on basically half the map. Nevertheless, those games rarely felt cramped to me, so I don’t think that’s a deal breaker. It’s a far better fate than two armies hunkering down and sniping from max range at each other, which is not something this map tends to lead to.

At the end of the day I’ve just seen lots of fun, memorable games on this one, and I would be happy to see it as a tournament regular. YES to induct.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 03:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Hey all!

While it's gratifying to see all the attention the project is getting, the judges have quite a backlog to work through. For that reason we are instituting two new rules: one permanent, and one temporary.

The permanent new rule is that the 4 month timer only applies to the 6 oldest active nominees. Once one of them is resolved, the timer will start on the next-oldest available nominee. What that means is that at the moment, the timer is running on H&D, Embattled Fen, Ticalla Sunrise, Invasion, Fossil, and Quasatch Playground.

The temporary rule is that we're going to hit pause on accepting further nominations for a few months. We have a backlog to work though and it's better to keep things clear while we chew through it. Once we've tackled the BoV/ARV backlog there will be time to nominate some of the other longtime tournament favorites of the last 5 years.

Hey everyone,

With the backlog now in a much more manageable state, the moratorium on nominations is lifted. Be aware that the 4 month timer still only applies to the oldest 6 maps in the nomination queue.

Last edited by dok; December 3rd, 2021 at 11:39 PM. Reason: * 4 month

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios