Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 31st, 2018, 11:26 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

@keglo My collection isnt nearly as crazy as hahmas friends but its not all that great having tons of stuff that wont get the playtime it deserves. Id agree with hahma on having less games that you like with more expansions. Also I like painting all my minis and right now I have thousands to paint. Its a bit overwhelming. I still have tons of stuff coming from kickstarters from last year. I dont even know where im going to put it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:29 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
My buddy Brian has 1,926 listed as owned on BGG and 968 expansions. He's pretty much addicted to collecting games. He plays often, but plays other people's games as well, so certainly not getting many of his games played repeatedly. He does have 2 young sons, and a wife that is a gamer, so that helps and he's hoping his boys will be big into it as well.

My buddy Chris has maybe 700 or more games, but he also has a boatload of miniatures and terrain pieces for tabletop gaming. Now he's super busy with work and going back to school, so a lot of great games that have little play or are still in shrink wrap.
Whoa, sounds like Brian has got issues

Folks, at an average cost of $30 per game, that's SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of games. OK, there's no here, that's issues.
Old January 31st, 2018, 12:43 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Quote:
My buddy Brian has 1,926 listed as owned on BGG and 968 expansions. He's pretty much addicted to collecting games. He plays often, but plays other people's games as well, so certainly not getting many of his games played repeatedly. He does have 2 young sons, and a wife that is a gamer, so that helps and he's hoping his boys will be big into it as well.

My buddy Chris has maybe 700 or more games, but he also has a boatload of miniatures and terrain pieces for tabletop gaming. Now he's super busy with work and going back to school, so a lot of great games that have little play or are still in shrink wrap.
Whoa, sounds like Brian has got issues

Folks, at an average cost of $30 per game, that's SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of games. OK, there's no here, that's issues.
Well honestly, I'm not sure how the BGG thing works with regards to game count. I don't know if they count expansions in your games total and then have a separate section that just counts expansions. That would seem pretty redundant and misleading if that were the case.

Either way, my friend does get many games off of BGG auctions, so he's getting some used ones at lower cost. He also has demoed for FFG at GenCon for many years and gets compensated in FFG bucks, though that may have changed recently and they get actual cash. So he was getting a lot of FFG stuff that way.

But yeah, he does spend a lot on them. My buddy Chris does too and he's only 36. So at least he has 14 years of getting things played before he's my age of 50 And another guy that is only 30, that owns Rising Sun, is a pharmacist, not married and has no kids. He buys all the cools new games too, and really gets the pimped out versions.

So I certainly benefit from their buying habits, as I can probably request any game I want to play and someone will have it And being 50, with a non-gamer wife, daughters that have really slowed down on gaming interest since turning 14, I am trying to be extra strong in not buying too many more board games, but darn it, it's hard

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 31st, 2018, 01:52 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

Well honestly, I'm not sure how the BGG thing works with regards to game count. I don't know if they count expansions in your games total and then have a separate section that just counts expansions. That would seem pretty redundant and misleading if that were the case.
Sadly though, that is the case. If you want just the number of what most people would consider board games, you have take the board game count and then subtract the expansion count.

So for me personally I have about 150 board games in my BGG collection, but if you filter out the 60 expansion, I have about 90 which is a much truer count.

Still, I agree I've met plenty of people that have collections topping the thousands, and it's pretty easy to do if they are the sort of person who keeps buying lots of stuff at auctions, used stores, etc. I have a friend that just collects almost any old game, so buys lots of stuff for .50 to a 1.00 at garage sales and the like. (I think it is silly as many of the games are just flat out not fun to play and they'll never play them all, but whatever to each their own).

I haven't posted in this thread much anymore, but my main gaming for the past several months has continued to focus on A Feast for Odin, Lord of the Rings Living Card Game, and Terra Mystica.

I play quite a bit of other stuff with various friends but those are the ones that are getting dozens of plays over the past few months. Those three are some of my favorite games (and the first two are great solo games which is where quite a few of the plays for each come from). I'm really starting to deep dive on the Terra Mystica strategy and competing with some other great players online.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:14 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Cyclades and the Hades expansion arrived today in the mail!

Old February 1st, 2018, 06:21 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Congrats, buddy! I just got my additional 3D Star Bases for the Star Trek Ascendancy Cardassians and Ferengi!

Still waiting for Rising Sun, for which CMON has already published a two page FAQ! Never saw one come out so fast; during initial distribution.

A pal who ordered my copy of Pendragon now has it, and will be bringing it over in a week or so.

Big Trouble In Little China is now due in March, which no longer seems far away!
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:12 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Congrats, buddy! I just got my additional 3D Star Bases for the Star Trek Ascendancy Cardassians and Ferengi!

Still waiting for Rising Sun, for which CMON has already published a two page FAQ! Never saw one come out so fast; during initial distribution.

A pal who ordered my copy of Pendragon now has it, and will be bringing it over in a week or so.

Big Trouble In Little China is now due in March, which no longer seems far away!
I'll have to ask my buddy about whether he's seen the FAQ yet. He did comment on our group's Facebook page that he did mess up in the rule with regards to using Ronin. He taught it that they were one battle use only, but then just said that he was mistaken, and that they could be used for other battles in the same war phase. You still have to be the one that bid the most coins on that section of the battle tile in order to use Ronin, but it certainly would have made a difference a couple times. One time, I had 4 Ronin and saved them for the last battle I was part of because that was the most important for me, but had I been able to use them in an earlier battle, I could have maybe won that one too. No biggie, as it's a learning game.

A couple buddies ordered Pendragon as well. Though, that's a tougher one to get to the table, as the COIN games are a bit more involved. That may require a Saturday at someone's house type thing.

I'm sure Zack got Big Trouble in Little China, as I remember the talk about that and how some in our group really loved that movie.

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:19 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

The Rising Sun FAQ came in a recent Facebook Update, so I'm sure he's got it, whether he's looked at it yet or not. I've printed it out and am going to look at it today. Because so many people have already received their game, there is already a hyperactive forum discussion on FAQs, as posters play their first few games! Your point is one among many, many others. Like Blood Rage, this mostly concerns combinations of possibilities with various cards, monsters, kami powers, and etc.!

Pendragon will be the first COIN I own. The pal who ordered mine with his copy owns most of them. I've played Cuba Libre once; its supposed to be the easiest. But you are right, its proved difficult to get people in for it, adding in the fact that you need exactly 4 players for each. In the summer when it is reprinted, I plan to get Fire In The Lake, since that was my generation's war (although luckily, I wasn't there).

Big Trouble In Little China was delayed, due to the licensor having to approve 150 pages of text adventure. Since its now been pushed back several months (its a preorder, not a Kickstarter) they decided to print it in Germany rather than China at greater cost--so it will show up faster!

Finally, here is my joke announcement to my pals of me getting my Star Trek Ascendancy Star Bases; imagine them as announcements in the Galactic Newsfeed:

* Cardassian Deep Spaces 1, 2, and 3 will soon be present to reflect the power and efficiency of our Union. No longer will the structures of other races flaunt their overreaching menace with no response from us. These bases will remind outworlders of the proper boundaries between their territories and ours, and we will get the respect we deserve from them.

* The new Ferengi Trading Posts will be opening for business in your neighborhood soon. With all the esthetic beauty and subtlety of a Ferengi ear reflected into their majestic construction, they will serve to remind you that we are always listening to the needs of our customers. Rejoice, and come visit us for bargains galore!
Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:33 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played a friend's copy of Rising Sun last night with 3 players. I was the Turtle Clan with the moving fighting strongholds that are pretty strong. It felt like the purple clan was really strong in odd player number games. They are able to choose any action on their turn, so he was able to turn both Harvest actions into something else, rendering our alliance less valuable. My feelings are similar to Blood Rage, pretty fun, but not really my kind of game. Other 2 players really liked it, but they also think Blood Rage is excellent.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 10:21 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Played a friend's copy of Rising Sun last night with 3 players. I was the Turtle Clan with the moving fighting strongholds that are pretty strong. It felt like the purple clan was really strong in odd player number games. They are able to choose any action on their turn, so he was able to turn both Harvest actions into something else, rendering our alliance less valuable. My feelings are similar to Blood Rage, pretty fun, but not really my kind of game. Other 2 players really liked it, but they also think Blood Rage is excellent.
Yeah, that's the strength of purple clan. But it doesn't necessarily make a difference so much in an odd player number game, as even with 4 players, if you aren't allied with them, you can get hosed too in that regard. But, their ability still relies on the tiles they draw and the player before them will know at least 2 of the action tiles they will be getting. So the player before them has some control to a degree. And the purple player ability isn't combat orientated like the others, so that's where others may be able to take advantage.

Old February 4th, 2018, 02:19 AM
Prickly Cactus

A buddy messaged me last night to see if I wanted to go over to his house to get some gaming in with a couple other buddies today (Sat). So I went over for a couple games.

Played Tigris and Euphrates for the first time ever. It's an older game for sure and I liked it. The scores were 12, 10, 8 and 7. I had 7. The thing about this game, is that you have to diversify the 4 color VP tokens you get, as you only score the value of the lowest color total. So while I may have had 10 points in black, 8 in blue and red each, I only had 7 in green and that was my final score.

El Grande was the next one, and I had only played it once before maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It was easier Tigris and Euphrates, as T&I had combats and rebellions that added to the basic parts of the game, but El Grande was generally an area control game where you bid each round to be able to select action cards that are revealed each round. I did really well at this one, Pink for the win with 119 points Red with 101, Green 99 and Blue 95.

Old February 4th, 2018, 07:36 AM

Pink? There's a player color choice you don't see every day.

Next Friday I'm playing my first game of Rising Sun with the only guy in NYC to report getting it so far on Bgg! My neighbor and I are still waiting for our copies...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games