Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Daggon Woo who?
Re: White Knight's Kanto Pokemon (1 - 151)

I recommend changing the roll chance of confusion to 1-10, both for the sake of balance and to be consistent with Pokemon games (a pokemon has a 50% chance to hurt itself when confused in the video games). A roll of 1-12 just seems too much to me for your unit to lose an entire turn AND for your opponent to be able to move it. Now, if 11-20 took off confusion, that would make it far too useless. So, I recommend a roll of 18-20 or 17-20 to remove the confusion marker. Finally, in order to be even more consistent with the games (though this may not be the best idea, in terms of balance), is the removal of the confusion status when you recall the affected pokemon. Whew, that was quite a bit. I think that these ideas would definitely help to balance confusion though.

EDIT- You also might want to find a different picture for Metapod. The one that you have looks like it was made in MS paint lol. Sorry if I sound too demanding XD

Last edited by Daggon; May 24th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggon View Post
I recommend changing the roll chance of confusion to 1-10, both for the sake of balance and to be consistent with Pokemon games (a pokemon has a 50% chance to hurt itself when confused in the video games). A roll of 1-12 just seems too much to me for your unit to lose an entire turn AND for your opponent to be able to move it. Now, if 11-20 took off confusion, that would make it far too useless. So, I recommend a roll of 18-20 or 17-20 to remove the confusion marker. Finally, in order to be even more consistent with the games (though this may not be the best idea, in terms of balance), is the removal of the confusion status when you recall the affected pokemon. Whew, that was quite a bit. I think that these ideas would definitely help to balance confusion though.

EDIT- You also might want to find a different picture for Metapod. The one that you have looks like it was made in MS paint lol. Sorry if I sound too demanding XD
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about making Confusion a 1-10 roll, but I wondered if it should be different than Sleep (which has a 1-10 to keep sleeping). But you have a good point that it is consistent with the games, so I'll probably change it to 1-10. If you playtest any Pokemon with Confusion, feel free to use 1-10 (or 1-8, or 1-12) and let me know how it goes.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Daggon Woo who?

I am currently putting together a couple armies for my play test tomorrow, and I noticed that Zubat's and Goldbat's basic attacks are normal-type. I don't know if you did that for balance reasons or what, but it seems like their basic attacks should be poison-type. Anyways, I'm gonna try that out with them and see what it's like. I will hopefully get the results for my play test posted by tomorrow. My Saturdays tend to be a tad busy.

Do or Do Not. Never Half-Ass, it only makes you look like an idiot.
-Daggon's Creed
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:46 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
I am currently putting together a couple armies for my play test tomorrow, and I noticed that Zubat's and Goldbat's basic attacks are normal-type. I don't know if you did that for balance reasons or what, but it seems like their basic attacks should be poison-type. Anyways, I'm gonna try that out with them and see what it's like. I will hopefully get the results for my play test posted by tomorrow. My Saturdays tend to be a tad busy.
In Generation I (Red/Blue/Yellow versions), the only Poison-type move that Zubat and Golbat can learn is Toxic. In Generation V (White/Black), they can also learn Poison Fang, Venoshock, and Sludge Bomb.

Toxic, Poison Fang, and Sludge Bomb can all poison. Venoshock makes poison worse. None of those seem like a normal attack.

I figured that Zubat can probably do Razor Wind, or Bite (Generation I Bite was Normal-type), or some other normal-type move. But Razor Wind works in a special way, and Bite can cause flinching, so a better option might be to make it Flying-type so it can represent Wind Attack. Wing Attack has no secondary effects.
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Daggon Woo who?

Yeah, that's true. It just seems like they should have some sort of poison move in order to get a slight advantage over grass and bug pokemon. I see your point though. I don't know, it just feels weird to use a poison pokemon with no poison moves XD

EDIT- One thing I noticed about the Cloyster cards is that the second version is clearly better than the first, yet they still cost the same price. Might want to adjust that, or just choose one to be the "official" Cloyster

-Daggon's Creed

Last edited by Daggon; May 26th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Daggon Woo who?

OK here we go, first test run. I quickly made 2 teams of 200 points.
Team 1- Arbok, Raticate, Caterpie
Team 2- Fearow, Zubat, Venonat

I played this game on a map that I just made on the spot. Since there were only 2 200-point armies, I only used a small section of the board. I realized shortly after I started the battle that team 2 was probably going to easily win. Boy, was I wrong. After a couple rounds, there was a fierce duel going on between Arbok and Fearow, while Zubat and Raticate were having a small skirmish a small distance away. Caterpie at this point in the game didn't even leave the starting area, while Venonat sat back occasionally casting disable. In the end, Arbok dominated Fearow, and went on to roll 4 skulls against Zubat, eliminating 2 enemies in the same round while only taking 3 wounds, not to mention making team 2 lose a couple turns due to lost order markers that were on the killed Pokemon. Now there was only Venonat left on team 2. At the start of the new round, team 1 won initiative, and I finally brought Caterpie forward, stringshotting Venonat for the removal of 2 order markers. Unfortonately, this was the only time Stringshot did any good for the rest of the battle. Venonat dueled it out with Arbok, defeating him in the end due to far superior defense. Next, Venonat duked it out with Raticate. After a couple turns, I decided to just wing it and use Raticate's Super Fang Special Attack, as Venonat only had 1 life left. FAILURE. Immediate death for Raticate. Now it was just Caterpie versus a beast Venonat. Caterpie of course got obliterated.

CONCLUSION- Confusion stats should be changed to the following:
A roll of 1-10 lets an opponent move the affected Pokemon, and is cured on a roll of 16-20. Zubat used it to cause Arbok to take leaving engagement damage from Fearow AND give height advantage to the pesky bird.
Poison is exremely overpowered. It's pretty much instant death for any Pokemon affected by it. I recommend adjusting its stats to the following:
Pokemon receives a wound on a roll of 1-9, and a roll of 17 or higher curing it.
Finally, Venonat has too much defense for only costing 60 points. I recommend lowering his defense to 6, maybe 5.

THAT'S ALL FOR MY FIRST PLAYTEST. Whew, that was quite a bit, haha. Unfortunately, this is all I'm gonna be able to do today. I'll play test again on Monday.

EDIT- PS. one of the reasons I chose Fearow was to test out his Fury Attack, as I thought it sounded a tad overpowered. It's not, it is actually perfectly balanced ^^

EDIT2- due to some circumstances I was not able to play test yesterday (Monday). Also, I probably won't get around to play testing again until tomorrow :/

-Daggon's Creed

Last edited by Daggon; May 29th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
CONCLUSION- Confusion stats should be changed to the following:
A roll of 1-10 lets an opponent move the affected Pokemon, and is cured on a roll of 16-20. Zubat used it to cause Arbok to take leaving engagement damage from Fearow AND give height advantage to the pesky bird.
Poison is exremely overpowered. It's pretty much instant death for any Pokemon affected by it. I recommend adjusting its stats to the following:
Pokemon receives a wound on a roll of 1-9, and a roll of 17 or higher curing it.
Finally, Venonat has too much defense for only costing 60 points. I recommend lowering his defense to 6, maybe 5.

THAT'S ALL FOR MY FIRST PLAYTEST. Whew, that was quite a bit, haha. Unfortunately, this is all I'm gonna be able to do today. I'll play test again on Monday.
Great playtest!

Confusion
First, Confusion. My new wording of Confusion (on the page 2 of this thread) avoid leaving engagement attacks--making Confusion less powerful than before. But I like your idea of making Confusion match the game, so here is what I suggest:

Confusion
Before moving a figure with a Confusion Status Marker, you must roll the 20-sided die.
On a roll of 1-10, the opponent to your left must choose a straight-line direction away from the Confused figure. Move that figure it's maximum movement, if possible, in that direction. That figure may not move or attack that turn. Figures moved by Confusion never take leaving engagement attacks.
On a roll of 11-15, the figure may move and attack as normal.
On a roll of 16 or higher, remove the Confusion Status Marker.

50% chance to suffer some effect. 25% chance to remove (so it will probably last 1-4 turns, like in the game).

Poison
(Note: Poison as written on Ivysaur's card is the correct version. Some of my Pokemon cards, such as Weedle and Beedrill, need to be updated to match the Project Pokemon Poison Status Effect.)

I've played several matches with Pokemon that can Poison, and so far it hasn't been that bad. The only battle where it made a huge difference was when my son fought Brock.
Spoiler Alert!

I'd like to see more playtests with Poison to see if it really unbalances the game.

Venonat
The Zettian Guards have 7 defense and 2 lives (between them). They also get 2 ranged attacks per round, and one of those is an attack of 3 like Venonat)--all for 70 points. But since Venonat also has flying and Disable, I can see 7 defense being a little much. Feel free to use 6 defense and let me know if he's still worth his points.

Cloyster
I'm torn on which card I like better. While a chance to Freeze an opponent is pretty powerful, an attack of only 3 has less chance to cause a wound. I might prefer the 5 attack at range 8 over a 3 attack with a chance to cause Freezing.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM

Daggon Woo who?

Ok, first I would like to apologize for the delay. I ended up spending Wednesday with my girlfriend, and Thursday turned out to be a video game/Poker evening at a friend's house. Friday I spent with my girlfriend again and ran some errands. Friday evening, when I was ready to do the play test...my internet crashed. So, finally, the Second Play Test:

2 400-point armies, same map as last time.
Team 1 -Charmeleon, Raticate, Nidoran F, Golbat.
Team 2 -Sandslash, Pikachu, Venonat (with 6 Defense), Meowth.

Ok, so the teams were not exactly even. Team 1 had 2 weaknesses to Team 2, while Team 2 only had one weakness to Team 1. Between Charmeleon's "Scary Face" and Goldbat's confusion, however, Sandslash couldn't touch Charmeleon for a while. Golbat went down first to Pikachu's "Thunder Bolt Special Attack," no surprise there. Charmeleon ended up taking on both Pikachu and Venonat (who had height advantage), eventually being supported by Nidoran, who was not able to poison a single opponent the entire battle. Charmeleon, unfortunately, was not able to kill either, as he could not break through Venonat's defense when he had height advantage, and Pikachu got away with Agility before Charmeleon could finish him off. Sandslash fought with Raticate for a while, but after Pickachu ran away from Charmeleon, Sandlash dashed over to Charmeleon with "Rollout Special Attack." Surprisingly, Charmeleon survived 3 rounds of a Rollout onslaught without revieving a single wound. Eventually, however, he rolled low shields, and Sandslash took him out in a single turn, hitting him with 3 consecutive Rollouts, then charging over to Nidoran, dishing out 2 wounds to her. Sandslash finished her off the following turn, heading over to Raticate, who easily blocked the attack. It's important to note that Team 1 did nothing this round, as Charmeleon had 2 order markers on him, neither of which were put to use due to his death, and Nidoran was not able to land her attack. So, start of the next round, Team 2 finally pulls Meowth forward on the second turn. His Payday, the highest damaging attack of Team 2, would come in handy in overcoming Raticate's 5 defense. On turn 2, Meowth tried using Fury Swipes against Raticate, rolling for 4 attacks. No go. Best to just stay with the Pay Day plan. The 2 played cat and mouse for a couple of rounds (surprised they even duked it out that long), but in the end Raticate came out victorious, causing the first casualty for Team 2. After another round and a half though, he finally fell to Sandslash.

CONCLUSION- Using the new confusion rules that you (White Knight) posted above, confusion now feels perfectly balanced to me. I'll play test it more, of course, but I doubt there will be any more changes to make to it.
I don't know whether poison is overpowered or not, as last play test I used the poison stats on Arbok's card, which are not the official rules for poison. This playtest, no one was affected by poison, so I really can't judge the real poison stats, but they seem fine how they are, on paper.
Venonat seems balanced to me with 6 defense. What you said about the Zettian Guards above is true, I had also thought about that. The difference between the Zettian Guards and Venonat having 7 defense doesn't have so much to do with their abilities though, it has more to do with their health. If you break through a Zettian Guard's defense, it is instantly dead, causing the other to lose an entire ability. Venonat has 2 health, and receives no penalty for taking 1 wound. 6 Defense on Venonat felt fine to me though. I'm gonna play test it more.

END OF 2ND PLAY TEST.

I was telling a friend about this game who is a huge Pokemon fan, and he's interested in trying this game out. I play with him next week XD
Have you finished the Route 1 map yet? I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, so I assume not, but I'm curious. Otherwise, I'll design my own .

-Daggon's Creed

Last edited by Daggon; June 2nd, 2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Charmeleon, unfortunately, was not able to kill either, as he could not break through Venonat's defense when he had height advantage, and Pikachu got away with Agility before Charmeleon could finish him off. Sandslash fought with Raticate for a while, but after Pickachu ran away from Charmeleon, Sandlash dashed over to Charmeleon with "Rollout Special Attack."
I'm surprised that Charmeleon, with Rage, didn't take anyone out. Charmeleon is usually an A+ ranked figure in my games (sort of like Krug--underpriced against heroes but falling to squads).

Quote:
CONCLUSION- Using the new confusion rules that you (White Knight) posted above, confusion now feels perfectly balanced to me. I'll play test it more, of course, but I doubt there will be any more changes to make to it.
Great!

Quote:
6 Defense on Venonat felt fine to me though. I'm gonna play test it more.
I'll change Venonat's defense to 6. Thanks for playtesting it.

Quote:
Have you finished the Route 1 map yet? I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, so I assume not, but I'm curious. Otherwise, I'll design my own .
Route 1 is in the Pokescape Rulebook here:
Project Pokemon Rulebook

I've also finished Viridian Forest (I'll be posting soon), Pewter City, Route 3, and Mt. Moon (all three need to be cleaned up before I upload them--hopefully this week or next). After that, I'd love to have you help design some maps. Let me post what I've done so far so we can keep it consistent. I also have some changes to encountering wild Pokemon. I'll try to post my updates soon as well.

Both of my sons are really enjoying it. Last night, my older son was at the Pewter City Gym. He had: Charmeleon, Beedrill, Pikachu, Paras, Abra, and Pidgey.

Jr. Trainer #1: His Beedrill took out both Sandshrew and Diglett with one attack each. (He rolled 4 skulls and 5 skulls and I rolled terrible for defense.)

Jr. Trainer #2: Charmeleon took out Rhyhorn with 1 attack. (He rolled 5 out of 5 skulls).

Brock: Beedrill took out Geodude with 1 attack (ANOTHER high skull roll!) But then Onix came in and took out Beedrill and then Charmeleon (taking 3 wounds in the process). I thought for sure that Onix would finish off his team (who are all weak to Rock), but Paras rolled 2 skulls and Onix rolled 0 out of 7 shields and Paras took out Onix.
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Daggon Woo who?

Quote:
I'm surprised that Charmeleon, with Rage, didn't take anyone out. Charmeleon is usually an A+ ranked figure in my games (sort of like Krug--underpriced against heroes but falling to squads).
Yeah, I thought Charmeleon would take out at least 2 Pokemon. The problem is he was never able to use Rage. He did not take a single wound until Sandslash finally landed Rollout, which hit 2 more times to kill him in the same turn. Sad

Well, I would just like to post a solution to anyone out there who wants to try this game out but doesn't have any Pokemon figures. I honestly don't have any anymore, and I can't buy any right now (and I don't think I would if I could, those things are dang expensive.) So what did I do? I grabbed a box of clay I had lying around the house, and made my own Pokemon with it. It can take some time to make them, so don't bother if you don't have any patience. Some of mine came out looking really good though. I'm particularly proud of my Venonat . I have fun making them, and, more importantly, it saves me money.

This game needs and deserves more play testers: it's gonna be hard to test 150 Pokemon (not to mention trainers and items) with only 2 people play testing fairly regularly. So go get some clay and have fun

-Daggon's Creed
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:07 AM

I agree that clay works great. I used Sculpy clay to make a Glalie for my older son. I'll be using it to make some Caterpie, Weedle, Metapod, and Onix soon.

Another great source for Pokemon figures is Ebay. You can get 48 random figures for under $12, including shipping (see here for example). It's random, so you don't know what you're going to get. And they are Pearl version, so I don't think you'll find a Caterpie or Metapod, and some will be from other regions. But a lot of the Pokemon will be Kanto Pokemon. The mini (1") ones are about the right size for most of the Pokemon. The 2" figures work better for some of the bigger Pokemon such as Blastoise and Charizard.
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I grabbed a box of clay I had lying around the house, and made my own Pokemon with it. It can take some time to make them, so don't bother if you don't have any patience. Some of mine came out looking really good though. I'm particularly proud of my Venonat . I have fun making them, and, more importantly, it saves me money.
Have any pictures?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards