Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 8th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

It's simple and feels like a Monk. "Nephilim" feels weird to me because I associate that word with the biblical usage (for which this mini has no relation), but I don't really care as Heroscape reappropriates names as it wishes.

I don't think the design will go through SoV, though. Solo fantasy heroes have a higher mountain to climb since we already have lots of them. Also, the monk faction, as vegie noted, is already overlaps with itself a fair amount. For a solo fantasy hero to get into VC right now, it needs to add something unique and interesting to the game. That may not even be possible for an inhuman monk.
Old September 8th, 2021, 02:28 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fair point.

Seems that in painting down everything I lost a lot of the mechanics that were stand out or useful in any way. I think I'll keep my left block and look into older versions, see what made them special
Old September 8th, 2021, 02:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Nephilim immediately stands out as being biblical to me, and I suspect that connotation will be stronger than Diablo's usage for many people (and Diablo is already very much based around demons and angels). Classic HeroScape avoided Christian theology for the most part, so it stands out a bit for Feylund (although we've already crossed some of that line to a certain extent with Demons, and Feylund is no stranger to Earth-inspired cultures). That all said, Nephilim are pretty ambiguous in general and popular culture has kind of just run with their own interpretations for the most part, so I don't mind it too much for a demonic-looking humanoid. I wouldn't be surprised if others felt differently, though.

I feel like this design has lost a good deal of the earlier theme. Death Touch is fine and thematic, but combined with Whirlwind Assault she just feels like another Monk Hero who wants to run up and hit everything adjacent. Sometimes she'll get a nice roll and bypass defense, but it doesn't feel like she has a ton of active options to explore. This is largely due to the existing Monks themselves, but for a fantasy demonic monk, it feels a little dissonant that she doesn't convey much of a unique story when compared to the others. The design doesn't have to be flashy, but given the status of medium fantasy heroes, I think that the design needs to tell a better story to have a solid chance of making it through VC review.

My suggestion would be to reconsider Whirlwind Assault in the design. Plenty of other Monks have it already, and Death Touch already feels like a unique Monk technique even if it only triggers an eighth of the time. This would free her up to tell a simple and unique story when compared to the other monks and carve out an identity for herself.
Old September 8th, 2021, 03:29 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Seems that in painting down everything I lost a lot of the mechanics that were stand out or useful in any way. I think I'll keep my left block and look into older versions, see what made them special
It's not about complexity or unique powers. A new power doesn't make a unit new or interesting. Conversely, a unit could have exactly the same powers as an existing unit yet provide something entirely new to the game.

A demonic monk needs a reason to exist in the canon to have a chance of getting in. Right now that purpose seems to be "give Valkrill a Monk," but that's not nearly enough of a reason to be convincing.
Old September 8th, 2021, 11:50 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

No worries, I'll keep tinkering and find a good way to emphasize what I want so that it sparks interest. I may switch to a different project for a bit, totally understandable.
Old September 9th, 2021, 09:05 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I've said it before and others have said it better but look at your custom as a new species entering the eco system. It needs to fine it niche otherwise it will die off but the judges act as caretakers ensuring invasive species don't displace existing units.

I always look at the roles a unit using Jexik roles classes (shark, bread and butter) and the game phase it excels in (opening mid or endgame). And of course is it ever worth an order marker/to draft.

Looking back at 616 that unit was unique fun and offer lots of choice without treading on other units. Urk changed how goblins could be played and kha added an assassin to the rogue's gallery.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 12th, 2021, 02:11 AM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Potentially deadly against straggler side targets while being maneuverable, but requires strategic development. Resembles the mythical marauder theme of Asterios and Racheim. And the mythic imagery of Brontos.
Spoiler Alert!

I’ve yet to do many playtests with her, but since the mini may soon fall under required availability, I ask for your thoughts here.

edit: I asked an ebay minis supplier about this figures availability and they said it is currently still in production, but since it is a “rare” figure, it is not heavily produced.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; September 13th, 2021 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Presentation and Information
Old September 13th, 2021, 01:53 PM

What world is Shah'nte from? The design is decent for a mid-cost filler unit, but the design feels more like that of a simple bird than a harpy. There are different interpretations of harpies out there, so I'm curious which one this one comes from.
Old September 13th, 2021, 02:40 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
What world is Shah'nte from?
It could be either Feylund or Toril. To answer with one, Toril.
There definitely is a broad view for Harpies, but any decent ones I know of actually are quite birdlike in nature. The model itself (which is a bit small) seems to be inspired by the more Greek myth interpretation, hence the sets name “Mythic Odyssey of Theros.” There is not much for legitimate unsexualized quality (bird-like) Harpy minis, but this one positively brings the archaic vision.
Old September 13th, 2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
What world is Shah'nte from?
It could be either Feylund or Toril. To answer with one, Toril.
There definitely is a broad view for Harpies, but any decent ones I know of actually are quite birdlike in nature. The model itself seems to be inspire by the more Greek myth interpretation, hence the sets name “Mythic Odyssey of Theros.” I’ve not yet seen legitimate unsexualized quality (bird-like) Harpy models and this one positively brings the archaic vision in a mini.
If it comes from Toril, it needs to feel like a D&D harpy. This doesn't.
Old September 13th, 2021, 03:01 PM

Then Feylund works. Didn’t know that about Toril
Old September 14th, 2021, 12:04 AM

Updated the wording on Pesk to resolve potential misinterpretation.

Did not mean for it to be double edged lowering your own figures defense. Only meant to lower enemy figures.

With further testing, the combination of Pesk and flutter is stronger than first thought. Allowing her to be a low risk engager, potentially maneuver to different targets without requiring order markers and escape multiple adjacent attacks. She excels mid to late game and her medium level stats allow her to be plenty of a threat for her point value.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; September 14th, 2021 at 05:08 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards