Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Notices

Old November 4th, 2017, 06:17 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: The Spellbook of Dispel - Vote for Initial Playtest

First I'm seeing this thread. Did I both not see the links get posted for a new design thread and get missed on the PM to heroes? It is a spell I saw and commented on before though and it still looks like a good one to me.

One thing that jumps out at me is this phrase, "casts a Spell Card." Seems off to me, I feel it should read, "cast a Spell" or "plays a Spell Card." Other than that, I'm okay to see how it plays out in some games. Some spells that get countered will just be played on the next turn, but others are situational such that a dispel will have a significant impact (Final Ruin). The d20 roll off is a pretty fun way to mitigate that.

Would consider giving Dr. Strange a bonus to the d20 roll off though. As the 'Sorcerer Supreme' I feel like he should have a better chance to dispel another magic users spells or prevent another magic user from dispelling his spell. Maybe +4 to the roll of a 'Wise' figure.
Old November 4th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
First I'm seeing this thread. Did I both not see the links get posted for a new design thread and get missed on the PM to heroes? It is a spell I saw and commented on before though and it still looks like a good one to me.

One thing that jumps out at me is this phrase, "casts a Spell Card." Seems off to me, I feel it should read, "cast a Spell" or "plays a Spell Card." Other than that, I'm okay to see how it plays out in some games. Some spells that get countered will just be played on the next turn, but others are situational such that a dispel will have a significant impact (Final Ruin). The d20 roll off is a pretty fun way to mitigate that.

Would consider giving Dr. Strange a bonus to the d20 roll off though. As the 'Sorcerer Supreme' I feel like he should have a better chance to dispel another magic users spells or prevent another magic user from dispelling his spell. Maybe +4 to the roll of a 'Wise' figure.
Ughh... why do I always forget to do that? Sorry about that.

As for Doctor Strange, I don't feel that's really necessary - whatever form it takes after revision, Sorcerer Supreme will get the theme across of him screwing with other peoples' magic enough for a bonus here not to be required, and I'd rather not push this spell towards being a character specific draft like CBoC - this is meant as a more generic spell.

As for the roll off, I thought it would be a nice way to mitigate it and simultaneously get across the theme of a sort of contest of magical energies - I could have made it a simple D20 roll, but that didn't seem as dynamic, fun, thematic or exciting.

Does this count as your Yea vote?

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old November 4th, 2017, 07:14 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Kind of wanted to hold off on voting until the other heroes had a chance to chime in, as their may be a few others who are just now seeing this thread for the first time, but I'm heading out of town tomorrow and you then wouldn't get my vote till Monday so you can have my yea now.
Old November 4th, 2017, 07:20 PM
C3G Con Champ 2021 and 2022!

Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death!

yea
Old November 5th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

48 hours are up, just need one more vote - @japes , @Viegon , @johnny139 ?

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Yea

As said, I'm happy with it. Maybe give that Strange boost but I like the purity of the mechanic here.
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Hard as ice

Re: The Spellbook of Dispel - Initial Playtest

This Passes to Initial Playtesting! Hopefully I'll be able to test this tomorrow.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:38 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Post YEA

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 7th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Hard as ice

Here's the first test for Dispel:

Name Of The Playtest Spell: Dispel

Army Test 1

Map:
Badru Valley (no glyphs)
Armies:
Doctor Doom (C3G), Kristoff von Doom, 1x Doombot, 3x Dispel, 1x Mystic Flames (625 points)
vs.
Baron Mordo, Wong, Angel (Warren Worthington III), 2x Civilians, Hypnotise, Mesmerise, Waking Nightmare, Final Ruin, Condemn (625 points)
Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:50 AM
C3G Landlord

Reading over your tests brings up an interesting question. When an opponent casts a spell that requires them to give up something like an attack, and then you cast dispel and successfully block it, what happens next? I see in your test that you let the opponent then attack since the spell did not work, but I could also see it being argued that the attack is still lost.
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Reading over your tests brings up an interesting question. When an opponent casts a spell that requires them to give up something like an attack, and then you cast dispel and successfully block it, what happens next? I see in your test that you let the opponent then attack since the spell did not work, but I could also see it being argued that the attack is still lost.
I ruled it that, since the wording is that the spell 'may not be cast' rather than it, say, being blocked or something, then it basically acts as though it was never attempted to be cast in the first place. In the end, there's probably precedent here - if a power says that a figure 'may not attack this turn', may they still use powers that are instead of attacking? If a figure attempts to move but is blocked by Psionic Grip, can they still use a power that's instead of moving and attacking, such as Tendril Slash?

Another question with the current wording is what to do with out of turn spells, such as Temporal Inversion and Enchant. Presently, the wording is 'may not be cast this turn', but I'd like it to be able to block those as well.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:57 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
In the end, there's probably precedent here - if a power says that a figure 'may not attack this turn', may they still use powers that are instead of attacking? If a figure attempts to move but is blocked by Psionic Grip, can they still use a power that's instead of moving and attacking, such as Tendril Slash?
If a power says that a figure may not attack then I'm almost certain that we've ruled that you may not use powers that say "instead of attacking" because it's an action that takes place instead of the attack and since the attack can't happen the action can't happen.

However I don't think that's what you have going here which leads me to the following question...

What is the theme of this spell. From my view it's a battle of magicians so to speak. One casts a spell and the other cast the counter spell and the roll off is to see who is successful. To me that seems to say that the spell was blocked. So to me the theme doesn't fit the mechanic here as I now understand it. Perhaps I'm not getting the theme.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library