Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old October 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM

rickert is surprisingly tart
Re: WotC "promised" classic waves of HS in the future.

I would still relate this somewhat to Magic. Some people may not like a new block, but Wizards still will continue through that block, which usually means close to a year. So what if we don't get anything but reprint and DnD for a full year? Then maybe Wizards will go back to the classic format with something totally new.
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
And people are going to get into a game if nothing NEW is made for it?
I'd argue that people new to the game wouldn't care if what they're buying is new or a reprint. Classic games do just fine attracting new people despite not requiring constant expansions. The important thing is that the game (mainly the master set) is easily available.

Expansions are far more important in keeping existing players interested then in attracting new players.
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM

omen20154 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
I'd argue that people new to the game wouldn't care if what they're buying is new or a reprint. Classic games do just fine attracting new people despite not requiring constant expansions. The important thing is that the game (mainly the master set) is easily available.

Expansions are far more important in keeping existing players interested then in attracting new players.
I have a tendancy to agree with this. People just getting into heroscape won't care if a NEW unit is a reprint or not. They will just be excited that they are getting a new unit.

What WOTC has to do is, find a proper balance between pleasing the older 'Core' gamers and aluring newer gamers to their product. As and older more established heroscape player; I was a little dismayed due to the lack of production of units for a while there. (I know they had rerealeases and such, but being a core gamer I already had the units I wanted). Now having said that, I will confess, when I first started playing heroscape, I was a bit dismayed at how hard it was to find some of the older units. I got into the game at arround wave 3, and finding wave 1 was a bear.

Ironically, after a while, finding the older units was one of the fun parts of the game. Mabye its just me, but having something that nobody else does, well thats what I like in a game. So mabye its not a bad thing that you cant get all of the units. Is $40 too much for a unit.. YES I would agree that it is. Now having said that, have you seen the prices of Warhammer units?

As far as the D&D heroscape edition is concerned. Well I myself am not much of a D&D fan. I think that if WOTC is gonna go down this path they need to do something. Mabye instead of having a basic stats and the advanced stats on the cards, have a D&D stats and the Heroscape advanced game stats on the cards.

The fun for Herscape to me is the battles. Massive battles. 1000 points + battles. I would hate to see this unavailable or purely restricted to older units due to the lact of commons in favor of a more D&D based game

Old October 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM

someguy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Edit: a small Wave 7 rerelease? Or maybe just restock? Cool either way, I need another pack of each of common Wave 7 pack.
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/Product...R=573&ID=20542

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/Product...R=573&ID=20543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugi Motou View Post
Hooray! More Heroscape reprints! Now I can get my hands on the Knights Templar and the Samuri and Lawmen sets!

Last edited by someguy; October 4th, 2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: responding to Yugi as well.
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:49 AM

CanScape has disabled reputation

This all sounds like good news to me....two DnD waves in one year, plus another classics (reprinted or otherwise)?...we've got a winnah!

Of course, as soon as I complete my wave collections, I will sit atop my crystal tower, cackle over my plastic army men, and perhaps cackle again!...lol, in all seriousness I'll be happy to get all the old stuff I want so all I have to do is buy the new stuff!...so much simpler, I wish I did this four years ago (sure woulda been less expensive)...

At any rate, I'm sure these DnD waves will be pretty cool. I haven't been let down yet!...honestly, I like em all!
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Heroscape Architect Extraordinaire

caravaggio is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickert View Post
The only way Heroscape will continue to thrive is by continuing to get new players. This won't be attractive if many of the figures already released are unavailable to new players. It just isn't any fun to play against people who have figures you can't get. Even though I have almost all of the figures, I would welcome reprint of all of the sets to keep them available for newbies.
you might want to look into a concept called "sharing". let your "newbie" friends use some of your older units if they want to, jeez.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well, lets see here:

As a completist I still need:
Wave 3: heroes, monks/guards
Wave 4: Everything except lawmen/samurai
Wave 5: Warriors/Soulborgs
Aquilla's Alliance

Wow... 6 smalls and one large left. I'm doing better than I thought.

I'll grab my wave 5 stuff with the special collection, then hope for some more reprints.
______
From the perspective of someone who has never played DnD minis, I'm just happy that we are getting something right now.

I'd give WoTC the two DnD waves, then expect a fully original set.

I have to wonder though: Why did Wave 10 not use the Marvel packs for two sets, have one set of the exclusives, and the final set of the repainted obsidians/dzu-teh?

It would make sense, except that 3/4 sets would be unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Things to keep in mind.

1. WOTC has failed to deliver on "promises" before. Maybe not heroscape, but other games.

2. Its been stated, by GB in the original thread about D&D scape, that D&D is classic scape. So, by giving us D&D, their holding up their end, from their point of view.

I would really love to see some new, non-D&D, heroscape in the future. I really do love this game. I just don't see that happening. I know how WOTC operates, and I've had horrible experiences with other WOTC games in the past. D&D is coming, and when it arrives it will be here to stay.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
I know how WOTC operates, and I've had horrible experiences with other WOTC games in the past. D&D is coming, and when it arrives it will be here to stay.

Well, I hope you're at least a little wrong...I don't think Marvel did all that well, and I'll just throw out a couple reasons (complete speculation, I know, but...):

Fans of super hero miniatures games already had a game...Heroclix. While Marvel offered a difference, I'm sure that the marketplace only had so much room for this theme.

Secondly, you just didn't get that much stuff in the Marvel set. At least you had reason to buy more RoTV and SOTM sets, but multiple Marvels?...way too expensive for too little gain, IMO.

I personally don't see there being two complete waves of DnD Scape next year...but if there are, I really hope they're cool sets.

And a final word, I'm resigned to the fact that perhaps HS 'does' in fact have limited life left...at this point, those who have already collected the entire system have a pretty amazing game on their hands. I can't see anybody getting that bored playing with what's already out there. Sure, it's nice to see new products, but what we've already got is amazing IMO...it's survived quite a bit longer than a lot of other games already.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

I guess we'll have to wait for a definitive announcement. But my speculation is that two D&D waves next year does not rule out the possibility of a classic wave or two by the end of '10.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Edit: a small Wave 7 rerelease? Or maybe just restock? Cool either way, I need another pack of each of common Wave 7 pack.
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/Product...R=573&ID=20542

Huh, nice, thanks man.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Things to keep in mind.

1. WOTC has failed to deliver on "promises" before. Maybe not heroscape, but other games.
Well they said Wave 1 of Marvel would definitely be released. They could still live up to that "promise" but so far, so bad ...

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News