Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 28th, 2015, 10:33 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
I took a look into Omen, but my dissatisfaction with Kickstarter prevented me from pulling the trigger. I wonder if this will hit retail.
I just looked and realized I haven't Kickstarted anything since August. Everything I have tried to since has been canceled. I guess I am subconsciously getting more selective. I too am slowly becoming dissatisfied by the constant delays and over promising. Some have been absolute gems and I can't say I have had many bad experiences, I just think it is becoming more tedious and most of the time waiting for retail would have been just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl
I played a fantastic breakthrough battle of Memoir 44 with my dad. We don't usually play these longer battles match style (play the same scenario twice -- once from each side -- and compare total scores), but I was hitting a brutal hot streak with my dice in the first game that made for a quick battle. Rolling tank-grenade-tank dice against an armor unit, then striking 2-3 hits around the board, makes me want to pull a blanket over my head. My dad just laughed and rolled with the punches, and the second game where he won took some of the sting out of it. I've been on the receiving end of a hot streak. I recall a game of Hoplomachus where I couldn't even activate my Champion before the game ended, and I just stared in shocked silence for several moments.

It's been a while since we put Memoir 44 on the table, but it's always a blast when we do.
Memoir 44 was one of the first games LoB and I started playing, when he was much younger, that had a campaign. It will always hold a special place in my memories. Sadly, we haven't played in a long time and with Imperial Assault taking up most of his gaming time, I doubt we will ever play again, other than maybe a nostalgic game every now and again. We always played more than one battle, but he never liked switching sides, so the campaigns really worked for us.

I've been playing a few solo games of Imperial Settlers a day (thanks @akden ) lately. Fun game solo, better with 2 or more. Not hard to win solo, but scoring high is the challenging part.
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

I sure wish we lived closer!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Sometimes he has stuff for sale from his site at Small Box Games, but definitely not going to be seen at a retailer. He may run another kickstarter for it in a couple years.
I wouldn't be surprised. As I understood it, this was not a complete edition. Though I confess I wasn't that concerned one way or the other on that point; it may have been.

I do believe he is finished with expansions for it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:59 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Commands & Colors Napoleonics: The Prussian Army Expansion
The Waterloo Campaign Begins with Ligny!

After completing all the other scenarios in the new expansion, I'm finally starting out on the three for the Waterloo campaign. Ligny is about as large and long as a normal format game can get, with 21-22 units per side and requiring 11 Banners for victory. Napoleon is looking over the field, with his usual advantages, but the Prussians are tough and have good terrain to defend and 5 of 6 Iron Will counters (they let you ignore a retreat flag).

I've been solitairing all morning; so its time for a break. It looks bad for the Prussians, the historical losers, but they've put up a heck of a fight, and used up all their special counters. Now the French hold the important terrain, the score is French 7 Prussians 1. The Prussians have taken twice as many casualties, and the Napoleonic Old Guard is coiling up to strike on the flank...

The Prussians had some bad die rolls, but its a tough game for them. They are the best Continental Ally at standing up to the French usually, but their hour has seems to have come on this board. However, Marshal Blucher will (historically) pull his men out, retreat heroically toward the British/Allied army instead of back on his own supply lines toward Prussia, and help beat the Corsican in the end! Let's hope...

For my notes on the balance in these Prussian Army scenarios, see bgg.

Last edited by chas; February 1st, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
I took a look into Omen, but my dissatisfaction with Kickstarter prevented me from pulling the trigger. I wonder if this will hit retail.

I've been playing a few solo games of Imperial Settlers a day (thanks @akden ) lately. Fun game solo, better with 2 or more. Not hard to win solo, but scoring high is the challenging part.
Imperial Settlers has become my go-to solo game. It's quick to set up and play and challenging to get higher scores (which I have yet to do). I do hope for the opportunity to play with more opponents, though. The expansion is apparently now available in Europe and should be here soon, so I'm sure I'll pick it up, as well.

@davidlhsl : Small Box Games never sells at game stores, but you can usually buy direct at his website. Omen is worth owning as a fantastic two-player game. If it had been released by a larger publisher, it probably would have been a smashing success.

Life has been keeping me away from gaming recently, but my son and I managed to get in another game of Imperial Assault, as well as a game of Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing. Of course, Imperial Assault is awesome, but D&D Attack Wing was also very fun. I really enjoy the addition of ground units. The different levels of flight add another tactical element to maneuvering, and the dragons are just cool.
Old January 31st, 2015, 07:13 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"Give me night or give me the Prussians!"
--The Duke of Wellington at Waterloo

Want to play Waterloo with variable Prussian reinforcements available for the British, the way it happened historically? Having just finished the last three scenarios in the latest COMMANDS AND COLORS NAPOLEONICS: Prussian Army Expansion, and noted the results on bgg, three fan made scenarios online are now available, and you can find them easily through links from the other fan site at the end of my thread on boardgamegeek where another fan posted them here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...sian-scenarios

I've printed them out and they look very good. Two are normal format games, by two of the most active fans, Michael and GG. The other is a two board "EPIC" version, using two C&C Ancients boards and its Epic card deck (also by Michael). The small on by Michael uses the same terrain and units as the original game scenario. GG has tested his and made some small changes, and uses different possible Prussian deployment hexes.

No such official scenario will be available for almost a year, possibly in the upcoming Grand Bataille (Epic) Napoleonic Expansion--for which no date has been set, but we're hoping maybe for next GenCon. But these are the games you want to play if you've got the Prussian Army expansion and its rules for that new army (gray blocks) and C&C Epic Ancients. I'm up for it!

They use die rolling at the start of the British turns to advance a variable 'clock,' and at a certain point the Prussians may enter on the French flank in certain hexes. The regular format games are for two players, and the Epic could be used for up to 2-8 players (you may need two copies of the basic and Prussian boxes or use some substitute blocks for this big one).

The specific fan sites for all of the Richard Borg games that exist are listed in my guide to all the Borg games here:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=50837

Last edited by chas; January 31st, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:13 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

@capsocrates persuaded me to give up my hermetic ways and play Star Realms via an eThing. Anyone who wants to play shoot me a pm.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:57 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
@capsocrates persuaded me to give up my hermetic ways and play Star Realms via an eThing. Anyone who wants to play shoot me a pm.
The nudge was smaller than he implies. He already played via an eThing--just solo.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:03 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yesterday my group had an all day event. I was there from about 10:15am - 8pm. Though others were there until probably around midnight. People came and went, so there were anywhere between 15-25 people there at any given time.

I played:

Hemloch: Midnight Edition

Omen: A Reign of War - Played the Omega Edition of the game I just got, but it's not listed yet on BGG.

Famiglia

Morels x 2

Lagoon: The Land of Druids

The Witcher Adventure Game

Earlier in the week someone had requested to play Robinson Crusoe:Adventure on the Cursed Island, and I had studied up on the rules (there's a lot to this game), but it didn't end up getting played because people got committed to other games and whatnot. So I decided that since I took the effort to re-study the rules, that I'd play a solo game of it this morning with the first scenario. I had the Cook, with Friday and the dog helping out. The Cook died in 10th round and Friday was about to die because I sent him out to gather wood when there was a beast on that tile and would give him his last wound. But an event card gave the Cook his final wound because he was tired, didn't act reasonably and got in a fight with Friday (maybe Friday didn't want to gather wood with that wild animal out there). Had the wood pile for the signal fire filled except for the last and biggest row. Spider bite on head, scratch on arm, floods, catastrophe, storm and no roof were just some of the "good times" ol' Cookie had before he perished.

Edit:

After shoveling the driveway of about 8 inches of heavy snow (just to get a little ahead of it since it's going to be snowing all day and I'll likely have another 8 inches to shovel later today) and going to the store real quick, I figured I'd give Robinson Crusoe another go since it was still set up and I only had to re-shuffle in random event cards again, as well as invention and starting item cards. This time I tried as the Carpenter. I got to round 9 of 12 before he perished. I was so close, and after placing the 3 wood from the mast in the last row of the fire pile, I only needed 2 more wood to complete it and win. But nooooooooooo! A darn event card called FIRE came up in the next round and because there was a fire in the forest, I wasn't allowed to get any wood during that round's production phase. I would have gotten 2 wood because of the shortcut I'd built in the previous round. I just needed those 2 wood to put on the pile and survive until round 9 when the boat was starting to come by. So that messed me up and then the threat action for the next round had to be resolved because I didn't have the shovel built to build a moat. So that failed threat action didn't allow any production the next round. So it wasn't long after that, that the real bad weather put a hurting on my health and dropped it so bad that it wasn't long until the Carpenter perished. At least he and the dog took down a tiger while hunting, with the help of a pistol. But it took both shots from the pistol and while the hide had helped with building a level of the roof and mast for the fire pile, there was a ton of food from the tiger that went bad, as it doesn't keep very long.

Great game and super thematic. But it's brutal. Not easy to win, but when you do, it's great!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; February 1st, 2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well, 2 things.

First, because of all you guys, I have gone whole hog into Marvel Dice Masters. I cannnot recall how many times I have walked past the display for Dice Masters in my local game shop(s), thinking "meh". And I could kick myself because I didn't get into it until the Uncanny X-Men starter set and totally missed the first one, Avengers vs X-Men. How many times past that display? Arrgh.

Anyhoo, I finally bought the starter set with some Christmas money as something my 8-year old might play with me, as he loves all things Super Heroes (especially DC, which is coming out pretty darn soon for Dice Masters, btw). Well, it was Heroscape all over again once we played that first time. $1.00 booster packs? Man, we bought up every pack we could find and scoured the local stores for any and all. Dropping 10, 15, 20 dollars a pop. The game is hotcakes here locally and it's hard for the boosters to stay in stock. Which leads me to...

Secondly, my local game store put on a Dice Masters tourney yesterday (their first one), and I took my son. His first tourney ever! He held his own, won his first game, and had a blast. As a father, I felt so blessed and proud to see him there, playing with grown men -and women - and being a gracious and sporting competitor, in victory and defeat.

Most of the guys playing have been playing since Avengers vs X-Men, and had so many spare cards and dice, and were very generous in trading with my boy. One guy told him, "I'm going to make you the trade of the century because you don't know how cool it is to see little kids here playing this game. It makes me feel good about the future of gaming". Said fellow took one of our extra Uncanny Uncommons and traded about 20 Avenger v X-Men cards (and dice) for it. Little man walked out with a nice haul of extra cards we didn't have, as well as promo cards. Most importantly, he walked away from his first tourney having made some new friends, and is now a legitimate part of the gaming scene.

I'm sooo proud, and I have all you guys to thank for it for all the nods toward the game in this thread.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; February 1st, 2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: It's a worthwhile cash cow after yesterday, for sure.
Old February 1st, 2015, 03:49 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Inspired by @1Mmirg, I recorded my plays for January. I guess I'm one of the two that enjoys reading his recaps and decided I'd try to keep better track of my own plays. January 2015 was a good gaming month for me and started off strong with some holiday gaming with some new-to-me games from Christmas/birthday.

January 2015:

X-Wing x4 - been getting to play this a lot more frequently since a small group of warhammer players picked it up and started playing it regularly at my local game shop.

Carcassonne x 3 - A new-to-me game that I really enjoy. Picked up the 2.0 edition with some Christmas money and it's been a hit with friends and family.

Sheriff of Nottingham x2 - Christmas present. Like it a lot. Needs the right group to make it shine and it's been a hit each play so far.

Dixit x2 - Another new-to-me game. Picked it up for the family and put it under the tree. Simple, great game for just about anybody.

Mice & Mystics x2 - Finally got this back out and continued where we left off.

Cash N Guns (2nd edition) x2 - Fun party game. Not sure how I feel about encouraging my children to point guns at each other, but if there's a place for it, this is it.

Adventure Time Card Wars x2 - This game has grown on me. The first few plays I wasn't sure what I thought, but I do really enjoy it now.

Tapple x? - Another fast, light party game that can play up to 8. Fun with kids.

Single plays of: Ticket to Ride Europe, Line Up, DC Deck-Building Game, King of Tokyo, Heroscape, and RollerCoaster Tycoon.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:38 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played Arctic Scavengers and Gearworld this week.

Got a lot of painting in. After finishing this ship, I only have once mini left in my Jack Vasel Auction donations.

I tried getting a Downwood Tales group shot, but it didn't turn out too well

These guys have been in progress for a long time, but finally put the finishing touches on them this week.

I am running these guys in the team tournament at Adepticon, so need to finish up their friends to be ready for that event.

Used some sticky tack to figure out which banner would be best.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/qJLZ2n]
Made some Greenstuff saddles

Also getting work done on Imperial Assault. I hope to have some finished minis for next week's update.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games