Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old July 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
Suggestion Box: Heroscape Dream Software

There is a lot of cool stuff happening in the software forum.

Right now we have map makers, 3d map viewers, custom card creators, point calculators, matchup tools, a VASSAL client, browser toolbars and probably more stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

BUuuuut, if you could have anything you wanted (software related, heroscape related) what would it be?

I'll start.

Right now, I really want a platform that I could write AI opponents for. I could think of nothing cooler than crafting the ultimate HS player on my computer.

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Most Wanted

HyperactiveSloth is surprisingly tart
How about an "Army Builder" like the one on Hasbro's site...except it works! :P

You know, it would have usefull features like complete and accurate listing of unit's class, special abilities, etc., accurate stats, and, oh yeah, it would actually work! HAHAHA!!!

I'm not saying it isn't fun to use Hasbro's Army Builder and have it always tell me things like "error connecting to database" almost every time, or have a "page not found" message attached to most of the unit's instead of actual unit details, or have a search function that leaves out most of the traits that are actually helpful to search by, or finally getting an army put into it and getting an analysis that says all the units have 0 range 0 attack and no specials, but occasionally it MIGHT be nice to use a version that WORKS! I dunno, maybe it's just me!

/SARCASM

...MASQUERADE Registration Now Underway... (Click for Details)

[Don't have "permission"? ...Click Here to give yourself access...]
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM

HokshilaTo Woo who?
The ability to add figures to the 3D maps.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Suggestion Box: Heroscape Dream Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff
Right now, I really want a platform that I could write AI opponents for. I could think of nothing cooler than crafting the ultimate HS player on my computer.
That's a tough one, I think. Although perhaps Edge0001's automated battle rules could be used as a basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperactiveSloth
How about an "Army Builder" like the one on Hasbro's site...except it works!
Well, that one's easy at least: Heroscape Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokshilaTo
The ability to add figures to the 3D maps.
I bet that wouldn't be that hard to add to VirtualScape. Maybe ask on the VirtualScape thread.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
I just want a good way to play HS on the computer. Have a way to pit players from really far apart against each other. Forget chat, have a "Play Now!" link on scapers.
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM
ultradoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann
I just want a good way to play HS on the computer. Have a way to pit players from really far apart against each other. Forget chat, have a "Play Now!" link on scapers.
please don't mention the vassal program again! There is a way to play and its called vassal, however, its slow. Slow like a mo-fo, Its painfully slow. Its not 3d. It has no stats, etc. etc.

my sugestion time and time again has been to see about (programer with EXTREAM commentemnt required!) www.ccgworkshop.com would try to do heroscape, there system would alow for 3d maps etc etc. Permission however would have to be gotten (OR alternatilly rename everything..) regardless, it might cost something to play at the end (not alot) it really depends, goto that page and find out how to be a devolper, again, it will require alot of knowalge on programing and an extream commitment to see it though (and keep it going) so its no easy task.

On the other side, if someone wants to make something from the ground up for online play- again you (might) nead permission, but if you change the names, you probely would not, Then again Xenocretive has never gotten permission and does a yugioh online game and other licenced games free free free. So, I dont know, maybe they just did not get yugiohs attention with it. (no idea)

to WORK the game neads to be not SLOW. Maps should be built online or off and then sent to the other person / loaded at same time etc. the whole map should be handled as one object this way, not one hex at a time (that makes the program vassal so slow, each hex and figure is treated as its own thing)

anyway.. yes online play would rull... but it would take alot to make it work, make it easy to use, not give up on it, keep it bug free, keep it FREE (or as free as possible - even ccgworkshop has free game days and such for games that they charge for, or gives you 3 games free a month etc) there you go. /rant off
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
I never mentioned Vassal. I don't want a vassal, I want a King!
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradoug
my sugestion time and time again has been ... www.ccgworkshop.com ...
:
:
... goto that page and find out how to be a devolper, ...
Well, it's difficult to say, but what it looks to me like is they want you to develop games for them for free, but you have to sign an NDA before they'll even tell you what's involved in that. And, oh yeah, it's for Windows only.

I think I'll pass on that one.

I think the proof that this is a tough nut to crack is the fact that even the crappy little demo program that Hasbro put together will only do the basic rules. If they can't do it, with all the resources that they could put behind it if they wanted to, it looks to me like we're stuck with Vassal.

Not that I've actually tried Vassal. But I'm willing to take your word for it on its shortcomings.
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli
I think the proof that this is a tough nut to crack is the fact that even the crappy little demo program that Hasbro put together will only do the basic rules. If they can't do it, with all the resources that they could put behind it if they wanted to, it looks to me like we're stuck with Vassal.
Remember that the "crappy little demo program" is a Flash module, intended to be usable across even a dialup connection. Writing a generic combat tool that would incorporate the master rules -- or even the basic rules -- when you add a 3-D map representation so that the players can see the terrain elevation, which will require that the view be rotateable and pannable, the resultant code would be much more complicated than the simple top-down display that the demo has now. Add skins for the released figure types, and the size of the code grows, too.
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Porter235 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradoug
to WORK the game neads to be not SLOW. Maps should be built online or off and then sent to the other person / loaded at same time etc. the whole map should be handled as one object this way, not one hex at a time (that makes the program vassal so slow, each hex and figure is treated as its own thing)
Hey, have you tried 0.95 or 0.96 yet?!? It is MUCH FASTER. The default maps are now saved as single units (well not quite)!

Creating and sharing maps is still slow until you are synced... once you are synced the game works fine. And you CAN build them offline or on (hex at a time) then use the screen capture button to save the image of it, then upload the image, and then use one of the custom terrain pieces to load it in, making the sync time MUCH slower.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
Here's what I want:

Something that works under Mac OS X...
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod
Here's what I want:

Something that works under Mac OS X...
Anything?

Well, HSM works for the Mac AFAIK (certainly the web browser version would). Or anything that runs in your browser, such as Mathguy's matchup calculator. And Ryougabot's spreadsheet should be usable on a Mac if you have a copy of Excel.

If I ever get a chance to work on HPC some more, that will be browser-based as well.

But it's true that there don't seem to be any map-makers or card-creators that work for the Mac, which is a bit weird, since typically Macs are thought of as good for graphics programs.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software