Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old February 15th, 2021, 11:07 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 2] Vlad III (Sorin) (Public Feedback)

I'd much prefer Impale 13 over just Impale. Follows the precedent set by Whip 12 and Paralyzing Stare 16, and lets someone reuse the power with a different target number on future designs.

Although I still like Mortal Blow 13 just because it's such a simple power and thats a thematic name that could be reused on a wide variety of designs, whereas Impale 13 is a lot more niche.
Old February 15th, 2021, 11:46 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I think that Impale 13 sounds good. I don't mind creating a slightly less generic power for a design as prominent as Vlad the Impaler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Agreed
Simple.
To the point.
Old February 15th, 2021, 12:29 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As much as I like Impale, it's used on the Cathar Spearmen, and sadly not even reusable here
Old February 15th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

The best ones are always taken.
Old February 15th, 2021, 12:49 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinderella View Post
As much as I like Impale, it's used on the Cathar Spearmen, and sadly not even reusable here
Good catch.

Back to Mortal Blow 13, or something else? Piercing Strike 13 could also work maybe? I also like Brutal Tactics 13.
Old February 15th, 2021, 01:11 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Good catch.

Back to Mortal Blow 13, or something else? Piercing Strike 13 could also work maybe? I also like Brutal Tactics 13.
Mortal Blow and Piercing Strike both sound like something that would trigger when you hit as opposed to before even swinging. Brutal Tactics is my favourite of these three. I'm not overly keen on any of them but not against any either.

How about something like Brutalizing Stare? Or even just Brutalize?
Old February 15th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinderella View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Good catch.

Mortal Blow and Piercing Strike both sound like something that would trigger when you hit as opposed to before even swinging. Brutal Tactics is my favourite of these three. I'm not overly keen on any of them but not against any either.

How about something like Brutalizing Stare? Or even just Brutalize?
I mean, Impale 13 also sounds like something that would trigger when you hit, so I don't really mind. Especially since the roll occurs immediately before the attack roll, so in my mind the Mortal Blow roll is basically just part of the attack.
Old February 15th, 2021, 05:12 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

In lieu of just "Impale 13," why not "Impaling Blow 13" or the like as @Strack9 had suggested? I don't like the sound of it quite as much as just Impale, but it still has the excellent nod to this figure's legend and theme. The second word could by any synonym, such as Impaling Strike 13, Impaling Sword 13, etc.
Old February 15th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Having thought about it more I agree with you. Perhaps we could lean on the impalement in some way since it's pretty accurate to the character. Impaling Strike? Impaling Blow? Vicious Impalement? Brutal Impalement?

The other three work but don't have the same impact as if impalement was mentioned in some way. It's a shame Impale is both already in use and not compatible with this design.

For what it's worth, I still also like Incite Fear.

Last edited by Skinderella; February 15th, 2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Astro beat me to it
Old February 16th, 2021, 03:11 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Mechanically, I feel as though we are going to have some issues. Roman Bonding is "fine" by me, but I get that the theme is off (and the Romans don't need much help). Without bonding, this unit is going to feel like a worse Finn. So any class change should either let it a) get bonding (the entire kit is only OK with bonding) or b) get a useful synergy that lets you plug him into some type of build. Skeletons of Annetelia are barely that, but it is acceptable. Regardless, any class change should remain at least somewhat historically accurate. He is the set's historical unit, and its not as though we call Samurai or Ashigaru units "Soldiers".

If we go with a different unsynergetic class, we should also look at retooling his powers a bit. He's not going to be great in the MS already (see Finn/Thorgrim in MS1), so he should have something that would at least make him seem interesting. Generic Paralyzing Stare doesn't really do that, since you can get a big attack elsewhere already in the set. Boosting ranged attackers who are adjacent to him might help push him over that edge from "meh" to "ok, I can see some instances of him being cool".

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 17th, 2021, 12:18 AM

Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby!

Currently I think Vlad is very bland. Without any bonding, I don't see any reason for someone to use him in an army. While I agree he shouldn't use the warlord bond as a crutch, Vlad is not a worthwhile pick as a standalone hero. I propose we go back to the drafting board and rethink a power to replace Display of Cruelty. Some of the ideas tossed around on Discord:

Quote:
ONSLAUGHT 1
After attacking with Vlad, if he destroyed a figure with his normal attack, Vlad may move up to 1 spaces and attack again. Vlad may continue using Onslaught until he does not destroy a figure.
Quote:
REIGN OF TERROR
When Vlad destroys an opponent's figure, you may place a Marker on this card. When rolling for initiative, opponents must subtract 1 from their roll for each Marker on this card. A maximum of 3 Markers can be placed on this card.
Quote:
FOREST OF CORPSES
When Vlad destroys an opponent's figure, you may place a Marker on this card. Squad figures your opponents control subtract 1 from their attack dice when making a normal attack within X spaces of Vlad where X is the number of Markers on this card. A maximum of 3 Markers can be placed on this card.

For his class I think either Warlord or Lord both fit perfectly well. I'm also in favor of changing the name Mortal Blow to Incite Fear.
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:44 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

You are workshopping this on Discord?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs