Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Notices

Old November 21st, 2017, 03:08 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Star Wars Battlefront offline

My 10 year old son and I have a huge amount of enjoyment playing the Co-op 2p campaign and battle modes in the original PS2 versions of the battle fronts games. With Christmas coming up my wife actually floated the idea of finally upgrading to the PS4 when she saw the advertisement for the newest game. The problem is that since our last console was a PS2 we have no experience or desire to introduce our son to online play. My wife is typically very anti- electronics for our son and only approves of the father son bonding when he’s play together. The short story is that I’m confused on what is or isn’t available game mode wise for either I or II. Fr M what I’ve read and understand the new game only has single player campaign but there is an arcade mode where you can play split screen. Does this split screen mode need to have everything unlocked through the campaign or online modes? What about the first game what options are available out of the box for split screen play?

Thanks

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 21st, 2017, 07:50 PM

raXas1516 is surprisingly tart
Re: Star Wars Battlefront offline

I don’t know much about the new game, but the splitscreen options for the first game are survival, where you play against waves of stormtroopers. Versus, where you play against each other as either regular imperial/rebel troopers, or as heroes. And the short little co-op missions that introduce you to the game mechanics: taking down at at’s on hoth, destroying a rebel base as palpating and Vader, speeder chase on endor, and a few more along those lines.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:45 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The offline stuff in battlefront leaves something to be desired but is still fun. Its primary focus is online play. I havent picked up the second one. It does look neat though.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:18 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Star Wars Battlefront I's offline content is severely lacking. You can play some basic AT-AT battles against bots similar to the original Instant Action modes, but there are only this mode and a Starfighter dogfight mode as options (and, in my opinion, the ship combat in the game is very unsatisfying already). You can do some basic missions and a survival mode, but I highly doubt that the game will hold anyone's attention for long without online play (and I say this as someone who was able to get the pricy Season Pass for free).

As for Star Wars Battlefront II, I highly encourage you to not buy the game. EA has forced tons of microtransactions and other forms of monetization into the game, leading to a huge internet outrage at how greedy the game is. I can't speak for what content is available without going online, so maybe it would be fine if you never see the other players who paid more money to get better stuff, but I personally don't think that the game is worth supporting.

For alternative options, my favorite party game on the PS4 would be Towerfall, which is primarily focused on versus mode but has a two-player quest mode that is sure to get you some hours of entertainment. If you enjoy the game, then there's also a Dark World expansion that includes four short-but-sweet four-player cooperative levels. The game doesn't even have any online multiplayer options, so there's no worries there.

There's also Knack 1 and Knack 2, which are fun (albeit challenging) platformers. The characterization and story are a bit dull, but you can probably pick the first game up for pretty cheap and see if it clicks with your son. If either of you are a fan of platformers, there aren't many more options with co-op on the system, unfortunately.

LittleBigPlanet 3 or Minecraft could also be good options, as both allow for a lot of creativity and can still be thoroughly enjoyed without branching online to experience other player's creations.

Sorry for the long post. I hope that you can find this useful!
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:25 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Star Wars Battlefront I's offline content is severely lacking. You can play some basic AT-AT battles against bots similar to the original Instant Action modes, but there are only this mode and a Starfighter dogfight mode as options (and, in my opinion, the ship combat in the game is very unsatisfying already). You can do some basic missions and a survival mode, but I highly doubt that the game will hold anyone's attention for long without online play (and I say this as someone who was able to get the pricy Season Pass for free).

As for Star Wars Battlefront II, I highly encourage you to not buy the game. EA has forced tons of microtransactions and other forms of monetization into the game, leading to a huge internet outrage at how greedy the game is. I can't speak for what content is available without going online, so maybe it would be fine if you never see the other players who paid more money to get better stuff, but I personally don't think that the game is worth supporting.

For alternative options, my favorite party game on the PS4 would be Towerfall, which is primarily focused on versus mode but has a two-player quest mode that is sure to get you some hours of entertainment. If you enjoy the game, then there's also a Dark World expansion that includes four short-but-sweet four-player cooperative levels. The game doesn't even have any online multiplayer options, so there's no worries there.

There's also Knack 1 and Knack 2, which are fun (albeit challenging) platformers. The characterization and story are a bit dull, but you can probably pick the first game up for pretty cheap and see if it clicks with your son. If either of you are a fan of platformers, there aren't many more options with co-op on the system, unfortunately.

LittleBigPlanet 3 or Minecraft could also be good options, as both allow for a lot of creativity and can still be thoroughly enjoyed without branching online to experience other player's creations.

Sorry for the long post. I hope that you can find this useful!
Great information. Thanks for everything. I will look into these games you mentioned.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:36 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

No problem, I'm happy to help!

I also forgot to mention it earlier, but the Trine series is entirely themed around a campaign where up to three players (I played through it with two, so that's still an option) work together to complete puzzles using various characters' abilities. I don't think they're going to match everyone's tastes, so definitely watch some gameplay of one of them beforehand to see if you'd be interested. I'd describe the first two games in the series are side-scrolling platformers/puzzle hybrids, while the third game is a 3D mix of the formula.
Old October 27th, 2019, 12:18 AM
A Man of Taste

I have a question I hope can be answered here because I've searched all over and I can't find it.

We got my son an Xbox one for his birthday and someone else got him Battlefront II. We started it up and it logged me into EA and all the menus are for online play. I couldn't find anyway to log out so we could find the offline content or Arcade mode. We completely logged my profile out logged him in (he doesn't have an EA account yet) and restarted and just canceled out of all the login screens and then we had all the offline menus.

So this means that to play offline he won't be able to go online and play with his friends unless he creates two profiles (one online and one for offline) or is there a way to log out of EA so that we can play single player campaign and arcade mode.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games