Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old February 25th, 2010, 11:22 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: "Use The Search!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobosock View Post
Quote:
Asking a question to get a rules clarification usually does not get as many "USE THE SEARCH" responses as others do. Mainly because the question is asked answered and the thread disappears. Its the "Which is your favorite general?" and "They should make a Heroscape Video Game!" and "If they made a movie who would play who?" that draw the most ire.
I really don't get that. Sure, it's aready been discussed, but not everybody took part. If the thread isn't listed on the first page, there isn't an active discussion anymore. If some newer/different people want to talk about their favorite generals or what ever, I really don't have a problem with them making a new thread. It would be better to post in the old one and bump it, but I know that with me I'm hesitant to post in any thread that has over 2 pages of posts because I'd have to read so much to know what the conversation was about.

On a different note, I think this thread shows the problem with people impersonation you and recommending the search function.
I really dont see how that shows "the problem". With the example you gave the OP could have easily gone and read one of those other threads first and then added any requests for additional info as it pretained to the group he/she was trying to teach.

Example: "Hey I read through everyone's suggestion and wanted to know if there was anything I should adjust when teaching the game to Norwegian Monkeys with Down's Syndrome who speak French."

Obviously for something like that subject you do not need a quick answer.

Perhaps my age is showing but when I was a kid when you had to research something YOU actually had to do the work...which meant going to the library. Sure the librarian was there to guide you to where the information was housed but he/she didn't sit there and read it to you.

What I find with people who "have no problem" with people starting new thread after new thread of the same thing is that they apparently support laziness. Probably not true but thats how it comes off sometimes.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM

hobosock is surprisingly tart

Quote:
I really dont see how that shows "the problem". With the example you gave the OP could have easily gone and read one of those other threads first and then added any requests for additional info as it pretained to the group he/she was trying to teach.

What I find with people who "have no problem" with people starting new thread after new thread of the same thing is that they apparently support laziness. Probably not true but thats how it comes off sometimes.

Sorry I wasn't clear. That example shows the problem of people not using the search. And the Onacara impersonators.

I agree that not searching because you're lazy as a problem. But sometimes "favorite" threads are created because different people want to post their opinion, not because they couldn't find a thread like it on the forums.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
has been BANNED

But Kroc...who made the "Search" comment in that thread, did it the right way...(Not even my way)
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM

I think there was more than one in there... But that's really not all that important. I just think we'll continue to see new people ask old questions because they'd rather post than search.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobosock View Post
I think there was more than one in there... But that's really not all that important. I just think we'll continue to see new people ask old questions because they'd rather post than search.

And they will continue to get told to SEARCH and some people will neg rep them for not doing so. It's the nature of the beast.

Here is a classic example of "I will just start a thread whenever I want to" that starts to irk people. Nano*22. Now while he is far from the dredge of new user that usually suffers from this. He has started 28 threads...most to ask questions that could have been asked in existing threads. Now 28 threads isnt a lot...except for the fact that it is over 1/5th of all of his posts in the month he has been on here. By now he should have gotten with "the program".

Last edited by Onacara; February 25th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Here is a classic example of "I will just start a thread whenever I want to" that starts to irk people. Nano*22. Now while he is far from the dredge of new user that usually suffers from this. He has started 28 threads...most to ask questions that could have been asked in existing threads. Now 28 threads isnt a lot...except for the fact that it is over 1/5th of all of his posts in the month he has been on here. By now he should have gotten with "the program".
Now THAT makes sense.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Taking a man check - Gangnam spider style!

Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby!

Well here is to pulling back up a discussion long buried.

Well, what would be a real problem solver to this cycle? I admit I did it twice, but I hope my contributing posts outweigh those.

So the noob is basically asking the experienced to help other noobs. I bet that happens everyday.

Chilling Touch is Kee-Kee storytelling the PARALLEL CAVE...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM

mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

And they will continue to get told to SEARCH and some people will neg rep them for not doing so. It's the nature of the beast.
It seems to me like "the nature of the beast" is really just the nature of a few veteran members of the site. And I must say, it is incredibly off-putting to new members.

There exists a small number of intolerant HSers veterans that make this site, and by extension, the game itself, very uninviting. I almost turned away when Onacara called me out on my lengthy and frequent posts in the trade thread. And I certainly felt unwelcome. More so when I received two neg-rep hits for my response to him.

How the established members of the site, especially the site supporters and admins, choose to interact with this community is their prerogative.

But to those established members, hear this: Heroscapers.com is essentially the only online community for this game we all love. This means it will be the first stop for new fans of the game (as it was for me just 2 months ago). This also means it is critical for the survival and growth of the game that new players be made to feel welcome.

I'm not saying that new members shouldn't be encouraged to conform to the way we do things. I'm saying they should be reminded politely. And if they continue to disregard the suggestions, simply ignore them. Snark and harsh scoldings should never be a part of anyone's approach to new members of the forums.

And it really is only a small handful of members being curt and rude with the new members. But those few are shading the whole experience for a great many of us.

My two cents.

Mike
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM

BobGrant is surprisingly tart

I have to agree with Mike's Post. I have only been playing heroscape a few weeks. I joined this site because every other website links to this one under its community links.

After reading many of the posts here, I'm honestly scared to post much for fear of the wrath of some of the vets. I have limited my posts to "I'm in" for tournament events in my area. I have also been scared to use the trade thread, again because of how other members were treated by veteran members for how they posted there. I could have made the same mistakes and angered someone with a post there because I didn't know what spoiler tags were or some other reason and finding out this information is simply not easy on this site.

"Use the search" as this thread is titled is also not easy. This site has been around for a few years now and consequently, there is a massive wealth of information here. You perform a search for something and you get 309485903840958 results, its very difficult to sift through this massive amount of information.

I want to help heroscape grow but I'm honestly afraid to recommend anyone join this site and getting people to play heroscape seriously, is very difficult without being a member of this site.

Is a community full of members who are afraid to post anything the goal of this site?
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Taking a man check - Gangnam spider style!

Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby! Chilling Touch rolls all skulls baby!

I have to agree with the former posts. It is really hard to see new members get turned away from vets.

I mean, it truly is my opinion that newmembers should be dealt with differently. Give em a chance, you know?

On a lighter note, the vets do know what they are talking about, even though they seem cold hearted, so let them give advice as they see fit. But from a bunch of new and indimidated players, go easy please.

Chilling Touch is Kee-Kee storytelling the PARALLEL CAVE...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Who are you people that are afraid to post here because of the opinion of another person on the web?

The search is not optimal. But play around with it, become proficient with it, and it becomes quite useful. The fact of the matter is, this website is more concise and easy to navigate than any other forum I've ever been on. I'm on a homebrewing forum, the best one I've found, and on there 15-20 new threads a day are started by new members with the title "Is my beer ruined?", giving 1 of 4 different scenarios every time. Every day I go to that forum, there are between 10 and 20 pages of updated/new threads, and most of them are rehashes of the same old thing. The people you guys are deploring are helping the site be run as trimly and intelligibly as the owner and moderators want, even if some are a bit snarky about it. Frankly, I don't even find the attitude very bad, but I'm not very sensitive to barbs aimed at me; if the advice behind the attitude is good, I take it. Even if it was worse, I would take snarkiness over wading through piles of crap to find real substance at this site any day.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM

mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker mikelizzio knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
The people you guys are deploring are helping the site be run as trimly and intelligibly as the owner and moderators want, even if some are a bit snarky about it.
I appreciate what the owner and mods are striving for. I further agree that new members need to be encouraged to conform to that ideal.

What I don't agree with is the way a small number of the veterans treat new members who may be ignorant of the way heroscapers does things.

The ignorant new members need to be corrected, yes. But not with the venom that so often laces the posts of a handful of veterans.

It's counterproductive to the growth of the game.

Mike

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online