Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
How To Properly Sell-out

Okay, if D&D Heroscape is a sign of WOTC selling-out Heroscape, and presupposing that selling-out is inevitable, what's the most palatable way for them to sell-out?

For me, the most important thing for them to do is maintain a sense of genre-blending. Sure, bring on D&D, but also mix in more Marvel, some Star Wars, G.I. Joe and Transformers, even. As long as they keep the hodge-podge going (along with the quality unit balancing and what-not) I'll probably be able to grin and bear it all.

And if they're going to try to pull in other types of miniature gamers, why not try to pull in other types of landscape builders-- maybe they could come up with some sort of model train set-up that would work within heroscape hexes. If they could pull in those hobbyists, we could be in for a terrain renaissance!

Anyway, if it has to happen, how can WOTC make the sell-out as painless as possible for you? Or, how can they do it and still keep your business?

EDIT: BTW, this is not meant to be a "Heroscape is Dead" thread. It's clearly not dead, but if it's necessisarily going to be merged with other properties (like Marvel and D&D), then what's the best way to do it? That's all I'm askin'...

Last edited by Elginb; August 18th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: How To Properly Sell-out

Is this any more "proof" of them selling out vs. the Marvel Set?

I mean, this is even more intergrated, we just got wave 9 and 10 coming, but they are selling out somehow?

I sometimes think some people will only be happy when Heroscape is finally done with, so they can stand over it, panting and sweating, screaming "I TOLD YOU IT WAS DYING! AND IT ONLY TOOK 10 YEARS FOR IT TO HAPPEN!"

Buy waves 9 and 10, buy the new master set for the new terrain and stuff and enjoy the game.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Pft, selling out is no problem. Bring on the Transformers HS! What I have a problem with is the fact that a franchise I have a distaste for has entirely engulfed HS.
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

IMO, this is actually helping Heroscape. It will attract D&D players to the game, expanding the fanbase. Heroscape is far from dying.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

BTW, this is not meant to be a "Heroscape is Dead" thread. It's clearly not dead, but if it's necessisarily going to be merged with other properties (like Marvel and D&D), then what's the best way to do it? That's all I'm askin'...
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
IMO, this is actually helping Heroscape. It will attract D&D players to the game, expanding the fanbase. Heroscape is far from dying.
That's the effect they want. The cost is they loose HS fans like myself who will not be buying it. I am also guessing that WoTC, seeing a loss from the global economic crash sees that the best way of squeezing money out of the HS demographic is by attatching to thier flagship products. Problem is I (and others) dont LIKE thier flagship products.

But I love Star Wars and Marvel and even the HS universe characters. I'd buy any scape version of those.

Peace
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Someone in a Hasbro board room asked the burning question, "Let me get this straight. We have a minis game, and we also have another minis game that is the same genre. Does anyone else here with an MBA wonder why we are competing against ourself?"

It's not selling out. It's just fixing a bad business model.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:00 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't mind the D&D set at all. I just don't want it to become an all-the-time thing.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
Someone in a Hasbro board room asked the burning question, "Let me get this straight. We have a minis game, and we also have another minis game that is the same genre. Does anyone else here with an MBA wonder why we are competing against ourself?"

It's not selling out. It's just fixing a bad business model.
Except that there is a significant portion of customers (not saying you should agree with them) that do NOT like the one product.. if they merge the products, all those customers who still don't like thier original product will find something else to enjoy and then they are back to square one, having the same dwindling customers and the same crappy products wondering how to get all the customers that they just chased away. It's Backwards.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, by gosh, I'm gonna hate it if they add elves or magic users to this game. Just count me out.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Actually, all of the D&D players at my two local game stores think it's a big joke. I know, I asked them. They are not going to stop playing D&D and D&D Heroscape to them is ridiculous, silly and not to be taken seriously (they were more excited about "Dark Sun" being revised). If that represents the RPG gaming markets attitude as a whole then this thing is going to tank. The D&D crowd will not buy it in large numbers and a percentage of regular 'Scape buyers will be chased away.

I bought 26 master sets and 12 swamp master sets.

I plan on buying one D&D master set. I'm afraid WotC's sales are not going to happen.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Yeah, by gosh, I'm gonna hate it if they add elves or magic users to this game. Just count me out.
DnD is not who is responsible for bringing Elven magic to the general public. That distinction goes to Keebler Tolkien. And I liked DnD better when they had pipe smoking halflings (edit: I also do not endorse smoking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Actually, all of the D&D players at my two local game stores think it's a big joke. I know, I asked them. They are not going to stop playing D&D and D&D Heroscape to them is ridiculous, silly and not to be taken seriously (they were more excited about "Dark Sun" being revised). If that represents the RPG gaming markets attitude as a whole then this thing is going to tank. The D&D crowd will not buy it in large numbers and a percentage of regular 'Scape buyers will be chased away.

I bought 26 master sets and 12 swamp master sets.

I plan on buying one D&D master set. I'm afraid WotC's sales are not going to happen.
I think you may be right. But here's hoping HS doesn't end with DnD just like it didn't when Marvelscape stopped...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion