Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old September 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM

deathsaurx has disabled reputation
Castle armies: Defenders and Attackers

Okay i was going over to my friends house this weekend to play Heroscape. I was gonna bring my tiles, castle sets, and figures to his house and build an awesome castle battle! Problem is i dont know which armies to play.....

I need something within 800 for atackers and within 400 for defenders. Thanks for your help!

Dang it, I forgot this place existed.
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM

jakethesnake has disabled reputation
I had success this weekend attacking the castle. We actually played 1000 for attacker versus 500 for defender. These are the units I ended up using during the course of the game. Braxas, Syvarris, Nikita agents, Deadeye Dan, Charos, Saylind. That's 780 pts. Use Syvarris and Deadeye to sit outside the castle outside of range from your opponents units. Try and pick off as many people as you can to weaken his force. Use the Nikita agents as guards so if any of your units get targeted you have a chance with the smoke screen to escape harm. This is especially important when your getting your dragons into position for the final assault. The board we played on had some cover along one side of the castle were I was able to move Saylind up without taking any damage. I then summoned Charos who on the next 2 turns attacked the castle and wreaked havoc. I then placed all order markers on Charos until he was destroyed. Then either summon Braxas or if he's close enough, fly him into the castle. The army that was defending the castle consisted of 2 sets of the 4th Mass., Raelin, Airborne, Omnicrons, and Shotgun Sullivan. 495pts Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Wilkerson74 has disabled reputation
for defenders 4th mass and the snipers can be devestating. I played a game last night were syvarris was brutal as well, and ended up winning the game for my opponent who was defending.

Attacking I would use sentinels or minions. Althought their point value is 110, they usually hold up pretty well. Breaking down the door is damn near impossible....but if thats ur route you will definately need a heavy hitter...take ur pic.

AE can also work well, but can be victim to a bad initiative roll.

and don't forget good ol sgt drake. with his thorian speed and grapple gun...he is designed for castle assualts.
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
My daughter and I teamed up against my brother who defended the castle flag. His army was really tough...He used an all Valiant army with 4rth Mass, Knights, Sentinels and Charos. With all those figures at hand he was able to cover every hex on top of his castle, making it impossible for us to fly any of our units up there.

It was really frustrating, with all of those 4 figure squads in play he was able to hold the castle for a long time. We had Braxas on our side but we couldn't get her up on the wall, and she had no line of site to any of those figures from the ground. We also had Sgt. Drake, but he had nowhere on top to land with his grapplegun, either, so he was stuck at the bottoom of the castle for a while.

I was using Minions and I had to fly them over the wall onto ladders to get get them engaged to start fighting. In the end I had 1 minion left, my daughter had Sgt. Drake, and my brother was down to 1 4rth Mass. We had to eliminate all of my brother's figures to take the flag.
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX-127

I was using Minions and I had to fly them over the wall onto ladders to get get them engaged to start fighting. In the end I had 1 minion left, my duaghter had Sgt. Drak, and my brother was down to 1 4rth Mass. We had to eliminate all of my brother's figures to take the flag.
I had a similar experience with 4 squads of Minions attacking. They all went down to Q9!

And once I defended with a buttload of 4th Mass, but my opponent rendered their potency very useless by outranging them with Syvarris and Mimring. The dragon went down fast, but the elf was such a pain in the rear to take out. I eventually had to go outside the castle walls with my minutemen to hunt Syv down.
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Bobbo has disabled reputation
I think I have just discovered the lamest castle defense ever. This is assuming you use the Seige of West Barbicon scenario.

Defending army (650 points):
240 : 6 squads of Robo Rats
70 : 4th Mass

Fill in the rest of the army with whatever you want.

Ok, here is how it works. There are 22 castle spaces in this game. Place the 4th Mass on the highest castle spaces facing inside your castle. Fill every other castle space up with rats. After all the castle spaces are full, start on the ladders, spacing the rats out so there isn't any space for figures. The rest of the army goes on the ground.

Your opponent is stuck. They can't shoot the rats from the ground, because they don't have any LOS on them since they are tiny buggers. The fliers can only land in the little courtyard behind the castle, and will get munched by the 4th Mass throwing 5 attack dice each. The only way to get up there (since all the flying guys are melee) is to climb the ladders and battle the rats one at a time.

The army on the ground pretty much just opens the door, shoots, and immediately closes it again. Also, they kill the big dragons that come over the walls.

How do you attack a castle set up like this? My best guess is you have to fly over the wall with a big dragon and acid breath/fire line/other nasty attack and kill as many rats as possible. But those big nasties cost a lot of points that the attacker(s) don't really have.

I guess there are a couple methods you could use to attack something like this, but I bet none of them would succeed more than they would fail. Of course, it also relies on your having 6 sets of the rats, so whatever

note: I would never play like this.

I got nuthin...
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo
I think I have just discovered the lamest castle defense ever. This is assuming you use the Seige of West Barbicon scenario.

Defending army (650 points):
240 : 6 squads of Robo Rats
70 : 4th Mass

Fill in the rest of the army with whatever you want.

Ok, here is how it works. There are 22 castle spaces in this game. Place the 4th Mass on the highest castle spaces facing inside your castle. Fill every other castle space up with rats. After all the castle spaces are full, start on the ladders, spacing the rats out so there isn't any space for figures. The rest of the army goes on the ground.

Your opponent is stuck. They can't shoot the rats from the ground, because they don't have any LOS on them since they are tiny buggers. The fliers can only land in the little courtyard behind the castle, and will get munched by the 4th Mass throwing 5 attack dice each. The only way to get up there (since all the flying guys are melee) is to climb the ladders and battle the rats one at a time.

The army on the ground pretty much just opens the door, shoots, and immediately closes it again. Also, they kill the big dragons that come over the walls.

How do you attack a castle set up like this? My best guess is you have to fly over the wall with a big dragon and acid breath/fire line/other nasty attack and kill as many rats as possible. But those big nasties cost a lot of points that the attacker(s) don't really have.

I guess there are a couple methods you could use to attack something like this, but I bet none of them would succeed more than they would fail. Of course, it also relies on your having 6 sets of the rats, so whatever

note: I would never play like this.
I probably would if I had six sets of rats.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM

legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby!
I think using the Robo-Rodents as basically invisible defenders is brilliant!
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Thnx Jake and W74!
I devastated my friend in both battles!

For the defenders i used Omicron, Taelord, and 2x Warriors of Ashra. I took out my friends Charos (8 skulls, baby! Although he was already wounded....), Nilfheim, Kelda, Syvarris, and Theracus with my Omicron. HIs Raelin and Sgt. D.S. were eliminated by the WoA.

When attacking I used Jake's army with slight Modifications (i put in Nilfeim and Theracus instead of Braxas). Syvarris and Deadeye were successful in taking out 60 points worth of units until falling victim to Sgt. Drake (darn thhat Drake!) The highlight of the game was when Saylind went to the top of the castle (with one wound thnx to the Nakita) and summoned Charos and Nilfhiem (Dragon Power!) who eliminated everything.

Its was fun but probably not for my friend....

Old October 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
If this has already been suggested sorry,

Defenders

Taelord
Snipers x2

They would more than likely have height so there is 2 attack and with Taelord they would have +1, this could merritt more skulls per attack and with 3 attack could give you a better chance of getting at least 4 skulls,

Or you could always do 4 squads of Roman Archers and Taelord,

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM

The battle ended more than a week ago.....

Old October 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsaurx
The battle ended more than a week ago.....
And this thread still applies to anyone looking for Castle Defense/Attack armies right?

The post wasn't just for you but anyone who happens through. The title does just say "Castle Armies: Defenders and Attackers"

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion