Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 14th, 2019, 07:31 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Is it even possible...

Hey! I had the same question, and sought to answer the question through trying and trying to perfect the ultimate all-Hero army and winning with it at a tournament. However, I wouldn’t allow myself to build with Q9 or RotV Raelin, and I had access to SOV/C3V units. In the end, I finally achieved my goal just last month, as @BiggaBullfrog mentioned above.

The lynchpin of the army is Rygarn, and my next two must-haves IMO are Asterios (anti-squad) and The Varja (anti-range and anti-OM sink armies). You’ve got 130 points left over (in a classic 500 point format, anyway), and I usually went with Kaemon Awa for his special attack, and Isamu. But now we have Bol, and he’s better in this army.
But other decent options at 130 are Krug, a Fen Hydra, Ashi-Dhulu, and Agent Skahen. Oh, and Hatamoto Taro, of course.

To answer your question, yeah, it can be done. But you don’t have room for much error. And the glyph of Kelda being in the glyph pool helps too. Haha.
Old February 14th, 2019, 10:43 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post
Hey! I had the same question, and sought to answer the question through trying and trying to perfect the ultimate all-Hero army and winning with it at a tournament. However, I wouldn’t allow myself to build with Q9 or RotV Raelin, and I had access to SOV/C3V units. In the end, I finally achieved my goal just last month, as @BiggaBullfrog mentioned above.

The lynchpin of the army is Rygarn, and my next two must-haves IMO are Asterios (anti-squad) and The Varja (anti-range and anti-OM sink armies). You’ve got 130 points left over (in a classic 500 point format, anyway), and I usually went with Kaemon Awa for his special attack, and Isamu. But now we have Bol, and he’s better in this army.
But other decent options at 130 are Krug, a Fen Hydra, Ashi-Dhulu, and Agent Skahen. Oh, and Hatamoto Taro, of course.

To answer your question, yeah, it can be done. But you don’t have room for much error. And the glyph of Kelda being in the glyph pool helps too. Haha.
And I had to be on the receiving end of it but yes it can be done. I'll actually be posting the video of this game this weekend.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 14th, 2019, 11:02 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Rygarn, Asterios, and The Varja sounds like a great base for an army, and Kaemon never disappoints. I'll have to try that one out sometime. It's also the perfect chance to use Bol instead of Isamu, which is a plus in my book.
Old February 15th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby!

@The Duke that is so cool! Your army build is really a thing of beauty with how it all works together. My biggest fear with this approach would be an opponent who has multiple units of a ranged squad. I love how the Varja counters that by preventing an opponent from sinking all of their order markers into that squad in order to ping away at my heroes from a distance. And I can see how the versatility provided by Rygarn would be critical. I have to try him out.

I was considering running an all heroes build for the upcoming Michigan tournament which requires 250 out of the 500 points in an army to be Large/Huge. I would think that all heroes would stand a better chance in that format than a standard format. The catch is that there is no C3V/C3G allowed, so I would be restricted to classic scape. The build I was considering was Nilfheim, Tor Kul Na, and Atlaga. I like Nilf and TKN because they can both handle squads as well as heroes pretty well. And then I figured during a 5 round tournament Atlaga would be likely to win me at least one match with his Bolt. I don't think I'm actually going to run this army, but it got me to thinking about this question in general.

I appreciate all of the responses. It never occurred to me (thanks @Aldin ) that one of the many reasons going this route is difficult is that heroes can take multiple wounds from a single attack. It's obvious now, but I hadn't considered that aspect before. Killing squads requires lots of potentially wasted skulls. I guess that's just one more reason Squadscape is a thing.
Old February 15th, 2019, 08:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
@The Duke that is so cool! Your army build is really a thing of beauty with how it all works together. My biggest fear with this approach would be an opponent who has multiple units of a ranged squad. I love how the Varja counters that by preventing an opponent from sinking all of their order markers into that squad in order to ping away at my heroes from a distance. And I can see how the versatility provided by Rygarn would be critical. I have to try him out.

I was considering running an all heroes build for the upcoming Michigan tournament which requires 250 out of the 500 points in an army to be Large/Huge. I would think that all heroes would stand a better chance in that format than a standard format. The catch is that there is no C3V/C3G allowed, so I would be restricted to classic scape. The build I was considering was Nilfheim, Tor Kul Na, and Atlaga. I like Nilf and TKN because they can both handle squads as well as heroes pretty well. And then I figured during a 5 round tournament Atlaga would be likely to win me at least one match with his Bolt. I don't think I'm actually going to run this army, but it got me to thinking about this question in general.

I appreciate all of the responses. It never occurred to me (thanks @Aldin ) that one of the many reasons going this route is difficult is that heroes can take multiple wounds from a single attack. It's obvious now, but I hadn't considered that aspect before. Killing squads requires lots of potentially wasted skulls. I guess that's just one more reason Squadscape is a thing.
I think for that format, you're probably better off with Nilf, Major Q10, and either A) Cyprien and Isamu (for 4x Stingers/other range common spam) or B) Eltahale and Marcu (for Q9/other bigs). Q10 is nice because he gives you resistance to Marrden Hounds' plague and a sturdy body with a long range and a powerful special attack. Cyp and Eltahale are both great, so just choose the one who you prefer and/or think will be more helpful based on predicted matchups (I think I may lean Eltahale, but she is one of my favorite figures).

I'd be wary of relying on Atlaga to win you a game, especially when your army currently lacks an answer to Hounds. I've run Atlaga in tourneys before and he always underperforms; he's very fragile, and the one time you hit the Bolt, it will be on a cheap squaddie.

Last edited by OEAO; February 16th, 2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: The army I'm considering for GC ME is almost all heroes...
Old February 16th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby!

Dangit @OrcElfArmyOne ! Just when I thought I had convinced myself not to do this, your advice has me considering it again. I can see what you're saying about Atlaga. I think I was just looking for a good excuse to run him in a tournament. Your army is definitely a better way to go. I love Q10 and with the likelihood of hounds in this format that would be a great counter. Tough choice between Eltahale and Cyprien. I'll have to play test this a bit and see how it goes. Thanks for the comments.

BTW I love your updated version of the power rankings. One of the best threads on the forums.
Old February 16th, 2019, 11:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
Dangit @OrcElfArmyOne ! Just when I thought I had convinced myself not to do this, your advice has me considering it again. I can see what you're saying about Atlaga. I think I was just looking for a good excuse to run him in a tournament. Your army is definitely a better way to go. I love Q10 and with the likelihood of hounds in this format that would be a great counter. Tough choice between Eltahale and Cyprien. I'll have to play test this a bit and see how it goes. Thanks for the comments.

BTW I love your updated version of the power rankings. One of the best threads on the forums.
Thanks for the kind words! When I have more time I'll get back on writing unit descriptions.

At the end of the day, run what you want; however, I think I'd rather have at least some other Kyrie if I was running Atlaga. And again, either way between Cyp and Eltahale should work well, either test a few games or just pick the one you are more comfortable with or like more.
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:39 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Bolt From The Blue

I think Atlaga is best when paired with minions, but he was incredibly useful in the hex limit tourney I played in (no point limit, but you got more hexes the lower cost your units) where I basically suicided 7 move Runa into opposing start zones and he bolted a Krug. But this was a weird tourney and don't take it as results for the best way to play typical games. Treat Bolt like a bonus.

Personally, I'm always tempted to run dwerrow (dwarves for those of you who don't like archaic plurals) when it's a must be large/huge tourney. I like the Q10 suggestion as well. I don't like Cyprien against swarms but he is able to be incredibly mobile and wouldn't be a bad choice. I wouldn't run TKN without grubs. Personally, if I was building an army for this, I'd run dwarves x2, Q9, Krug/Hydra, Zeta. (Possibly dwarves x3, Q10, Krug/Hydra, Marcu or dwarves x2, Q10, Krug/Hydra, Heirloom)

If you want to stay all heroes though I'd go Q10, Eltahale, Hydra, Heirloom. Bunch of multiple attacks and range and everyone hits pretty hard with good durability.

~Dysole, who loves creating army ideas
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Ooh, Heirloom's a good call. I remember him being one of my favourites in the year prior to discontinuation.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 17th, 2019, 02:22 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post

And I had to be on the receiving end of it but yes it can be done. I'll actually be posting the video of this game this weekend.
Just watched it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 17th, 2019, 04:36 PM

Yeah @Dysole I'm thinking dwarves will be popular in this format. They definitely make sense. Although the cost of the axegrinders (real world $) and the rule against C3V may keep that in check. I'm also expecting to to see a lot of Q9 builds.

And I'm with you on thinking up armies. I spend an inordinate amount of my limited time and (very limited) brain power doing just that.
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:56 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

The three official dwarf heroes are all really strong already, so you might still be able to run a dwarf build. But Q9 and probably Q10, are super good here. So really, you’ll need a counter for them.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion