Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 4th, 2017, 01:32 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

"Its gettin' pretty crowded in my sky!"
--Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Firefly The Game by GF9 is what I play; its the "old" board game. You captain a merchant ship around the 'Verse, doing jobs for the contacts from the TV show, racing to complete various actions before your opponents in their own ships. There have been, depending on how you count them, at least 8 expansions, 2 promos, and 2 game mats.

There is also a card game--Firefly Out In The Black. And another, Firefly Tall Card, a combination of Poker and Mah Jong.

The new board game coming out soon is also by GF9: Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browcoats, which is a ground adventure game with character minis. There was an older board game about adventures planet side called Firefly: A Fistful of Credits.

And of course there is Firefly: Shiny Dice, Firefly Clue and Firefly Monopoly.

There is even a print and play called Serenity!

Last edited by chas; September 5th, 2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old September 4th, 2017, 02:03 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Those interested in Kolakoski's new Game of Thrones Finale scenario for Heroscape: The Undead Invasion, may want to check it out on the New York City Gang of Four's thread here:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...=49667&page=48

Technically its a Heroscape variant, but for a subject dear to the hearts of many here who also play various games on the subject such as Game of Thrones (the board game or ccg), Battles of Westeros, The Iron Throne, etc...
Old September 4th, 2017, 03:58 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Is Firefly a card game or a board game?
Board game. Some friends of mine play it. I get the impression that it's a longer game too.
It is a longer game (generally 3-4 hours), with the set up time contributing to that (lots of stacks of cards to shuffle), however they did release a 'faster play' idea with one of the ship expansions that we have just started using for every game that helps. What you do is pick one pile of supply planet cards and use a system to somewhat randomly distribute X cards to each player where X is the number of players before the first round. So if you are playing a 4 player game, then everyone will be starting the game with 4 'free' items. It helps you get a jump on attempting the jobs when you start the game with a crew member or two, and/or some equipment. You can also pick easier or harder story cards to try and influence the game length. I think my shortest game has still taken 2-2.5 hours.
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Last night at game night I played:

The Godfather:Corleone's Empire - This is a pretty cool and thematic worker placement game. There is also an area control aspect of it that is cool and a good bit if "take that", which is really thematic, as you can take out other player's pieces and send them to the fishes.

Deckscape: The Fate of London - My friends are really big into escape rooms, and done some really interesting ones in Chicago. Now they make small games that are like escape rooms, but you can play it anywhere. This game had a neat theme of us having to save London from some bombs that were set to blow up and wipe the memory of all the important people, so that these others could take over. It was set in the late 19th century. Lots of cool puzzles and clues to make use of. These are fun games, but once you have played it, then you know how to get through it, so it's kind of a one and done type thing, unless you wait like 5 years to play it again. However, it's something you can give to a friend or family member to try with some friend of theirs too, to make more use out of your purchase.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:57 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
What you do is pick one pile of supply planet cards and use a system to somewhat randomly distribute X cards to each player where X is the number of players before the first round. So if you are playing a 4 player game, then everyone will be starting the game with 4 'free' items.
Is there somewhere to read more about this? Or can you elaborate? You randomly select one of the planets? Then randomly deal out a number of cards to each player from that one planet equal to the number of players?
Old September 5th, 2017, 01:44 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I played Massive Darkness, Darksouls the Board game, and a game of frostgrave over the weekend.
-I really loved massive darkness. I still have not received mine but am super excited to get it. The 3d Doors and bridges along with the 3d treasure chests and columns look super cool. The game took a while but I really enjoyed the mechanics. I think we house ruled that you could only pick up one treasure per action though.
-Darksouls. I liked this game as well. It has a slightly higher learning curve at the beginning with all the different symbols but was still less so than Swords and Sorcery. It was fun, took a few hours, but we ended up beating the gargoyle mini boss. It really did feel like a video game.
-Frostgrave. I love frostgrave. The mechanics are super fun. Combat is really quite easy, and the terrain I've built for it is super cool and fun. I started a new summoner wizard to fight my one brother that had a level 6 wizard. I was completely owned. Not so much that he was more leveled than me, but just because he rolled an 18-20 on every roll of the game in combat except for two times. We played the keep scenario, and I did a few bad moves with the warp system that put me in horrible places. No monsters came out, but I did spawn a zombie helper, and a minor demon helper that both died just the same. I ended the game with only 2 guys getting off the board with treasure with all the others ko'd. Luckily none of my crew were killed and only two knocked off for a round. I told my brother he'd have to take on my higher wizard next time.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 5th, 2017, 04:27 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Had some fun gaming with family this labor day weekend:

5x Kingdomino

Continue to really enjoy this one. Plays fast, yet with some fairly meaningful decisions. Sure was a big hit with all of us. Only downside is that it only plays 4 which is a problem for us at times when we have 5 or 6. Queendomino to the rescue (and no I'm not joking, Queendomino is an already announced soon to retail expansion).

2x Barenpark

Really liking this one too. Fairly quick playing, but some tough decisions with the spatial reasoning of how to fill up your park and what tile shapes you want. I'm liking this "new" wave of games that utilize this almost tetris like tile placement such as Pathwork, A Feast for Odin, and now this.

1x Dixit

A bit older game that we hadn't played in awhile. Such interesting and odd artwork in this one which is half the fun of playing it in my opinion.

2x Hanabi

We hadn't played this in awhile and didn't do so good, especially our 2nd game. Had a pretty bad distribution where a lot of the 3's and 4's were out early but very few 1's that let us start playing anything. Probably one of our worst results ever. But as usual we still had a good time trying to clue each other in to what should be played.

4x Bang! the Dice Game

Just some quick simple fun. This dice game has really replaced regular Bang! for us since the rounds are nice and fast whereas in the full game a player can get eliminated and have quite the wait before the game ends.

Else tonight at my game group I've got a few people on board to play Le Havre which I'm really looking forward to. I've played this via the iOS app several times and really like it (as I do with most of Uwe's games) but never actually have played it in real life. I got a copy of the recent reprint at gencon and am excited to actually play the physical version!

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:20 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Quote:
What you do is pick one pile of supply planet cards and use a system to somewhat randomly distribute X cards to each player where X is the number of players before the first round. So if you are playing a 4 player game, then everyone will be starting the game with 4 'free' items.
Is there somewhere to read more about this? Or can you elaborate? You randomly select one of the planets? Then randomly deal out a number of cards to each player from that one planet equal to the number of players?
You have one player choose a deck, then that player deals out face up X cards from the top of that deck where X is the number of players. The person who flipped the cards over then chooses one card to keep, the person to their right then chooses a card, followed by the player to their right choosing a card, and so on until everyone gets one card. Then the deck is passed the the person (so that you only use one supply deck) to the right and the process repeats itself until everyone has chosen first once. When picking last you can sometimes get crap you don't want but you also get to pick first once and you usually get something pretty sweet. It is also interesting in that you sometimes get something you never would have considered spending the money on but since it is a free card you take it and then discover it actually came in useful. Stripping one supply deck of most of its cards also results in the players generally not returning to that planet very often unless they need to for a job. As such we generally try to pick a supply planet/deck that is off to one side out of the way or does not share a planet with a contact.
Old September 6th, 2017, 06:49 AM

Or you can just 'double' prime all of the supply planets (6 instead of 3 cards start face up) and then let players pick some. That way one deck does not become depleted.
Old September 6th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I got to actually get in some Massive Darkness last night at a friends house that has recieved his pledge. It was quite fun. We house ruled how treasure is picked up minimizing how much transmuting was per player. The game took a few hours with 4 of us playing our first game. I found the game to be challenging enough. We had almost died and that was on scenario 1. Ill be playing my copy of darksouls the board game for the first time today. I cant wait until I get my massive darkness pledges.
My buddy Chris just got his Massive Darkness yesterday, so hopefully you'll get yours soon TREX

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:05 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Quote:
You have one player choose a deck, then that player deals out face up X cards from the top of that deck where X is the number of players. The person who flipped the cards over then chooses one card to keep, the person to their right then chooses a card, followed by the player to their right choosing a card, and so on until everyone gets one card. Then the deck is passed the the person (so that you only use one supply deck) to the right and the process repeats itself until everyone has chosen first once. When picking last you can sometimes get crap you don't want but you also get to pick first once and you usually get something pretty sweet. It is also interesting in that you sometimes get something you never would have considered spending the money on but since it is a free card you take it and then discover it actually came in useful. Stripping one supply deck of most of its cards also results in the players generally not returning to that planet very often unless they need to for a job. As such we generally try to pick a supply planet/deck that is off to one side out of the way or does not share a planet with a contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Or you can just 'double' prime all of the supply planets (6 instead of 3 cards start face up) and then let players pick some. That way one deck does not become depleted.
Hmm, how about have the player who is choosing first, chooses the planet. So each time you draw a card, you could potentially be drawing from a different planet's supply.
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:45 PM
C3G Landlord

We talked about adding that option, to switch between decks, but we have not done so yet. I feel like that could result in player searching for say River, then once she pops up the players switch decks and start searching for Veera. It could result in too many strong cards getting put into play right away or even someone getting screwed out of Yolanda/Bridgette/Saffron when two of the three get pulled before the game even starts.

On a different note, I happened to stop by the comics/game store yesterday and they had the Star Wars: Rebellion Expansion so I quickly picked it up. Not sure when we will get around to playing it but I browsed through the rules and they made some changes to how combat works. Now you only draw one tactics card each and play them right away at the start of the battle, then the combat rating for your leaders is used to reroll dice once instead of drawing cards and the crossed light-sabre symbol when rolled can be used to remove one damage from a ship (which you now don't clear off until the end of the round so you can actually save a ship from being destroyed). They also introduced a new green die that has a different combo of symbols on it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games