Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 13th, 2016, 03:28 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

JohnGee,

You are, of course, invited to my C&C Epic Napoleonics games next month.

Chas

Last edited by chas; June 13th, 2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old June 13th, 2016, 03:45 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Whoooohoooo.... thanks Caps. I am *NOT* into RPGs in at all, but I do like many of the appropriately sized (scaled) figurines that have been produced for the D&D Minis, Star Wars Minis, and Pathfinders games and I am already speculating about possible new custom units for HeroScape, like maybe robots, soulborgs, aliens.
Yes, it would be great if the Starfinder line gives us some sci-fi themed miniatures.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 13th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Been playing a lot of X-Wing with my dad since we started at Christmas. Really love the game!
<~snip/snip~>
That being said, what can you guys tell me about the following games, including value for what you pay, as well as any other suggestions you might have? I like games that have a lot of theme, and generally combat oriented. I really dig Fantasy universes. Thanks!

I can only comment on the FEW games that I have actually played or heard about, but I pretty much agree with @Porkinsand @TREX regarding "War of the Ring," "SW: Imperial Assault," and "Zombicides" . . .

__?__ Arcadia Quest
__?__ Defenders of the Realm
Descent 2.0 ... +3 ( cool dungeon crawl with elves & orks, etc. )
__?__ Elder Sign
__?__ Eldritch Horror and Foresaken Lore expansion
__?__ 5x Epic Card Game Tyrants Expansion
Flash Point Fire Rescue [with expansions] ... +2 ( light fun, great intro to a family friendly co-op mechanic )
__?__ Fuse
__?__ Ghost Stories
__?__ Legendary: Marvel
__?__ Legends of Andor
__?__ Mage Knight
__?__ Millennium Blades (however some friends are really into it now)
__?__ Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island
__?__ Sentinels of the Multiverse Enhanced Edition
__?__ Shadows of Brimstone
__?__ Space Alert
Star Wars: Rebellion ... +7 ( haven't played yet, but heard great things about it )
__?__ Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King
The Battle of Five Armies ... +4 ( War of the Ring is better unless you're a Hobbit )
War of the Ring 2.0 ... +5 ( great LOTR theme, very strategic to plan multiple battles all across a map of the whole of Middle Earth )
Yggdrasil and Asgard expansion ... +1 ( only played once, couldn't relate to Norse mythology )
Zombicide: Black Plague ... +8 ( very challenging and fun co-op game that puts the populat "Zombicide w/expansions) theme into the Middle Ages similar mechanics with different terminology, ie. flashlight becomes torch, rifle becomes long bow, shotgun becomes crossbow, etc.)

I'm adding: Star Wars: Imperial Assault w/exp's ... +6 ( Fantasy Flights did a great job at refining their Descent and placing it in the Star Wars universe, which will remain a popular theme this year and next as Disney releases the new SW movies )

The +1 thru +8 are the rankings that I would place on these games.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; June 13th, 2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:11 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

Summer is Comming™ and got a few supply for the short nights and good weather.

Codenames
Dixit: Odyssey
Ticket to Ride a couple of versiones that didn't own
Imperial Assault: Twin Shadows
Russian Railroads
Le Havre
Puerto Rico (oldie, but didn't own a copy)
Pandemic Legacy

I expect to have a incredibly awesome summer. In the case of the shop owner the happiness was immediate.
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
@Hahma, fantastic battle report, and love the pics! I see you folks used dice for marking units, which I did myself during the only time when I played it against my dad and brother (and we played on the other three maps). I'm not certain my legs could hold out sitting on the floor that long. I have to sit on the floor when I visit my nephews for gaming, and I need a forklift to get back up.
DITTO! I completely agree with Davidhsl's comments (including one about needing a forklift), just too lazy to type that many words... hehehe - looks like it was a great reenactment of the battle (something that I've always wanted to try) and a FUN event.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
@Hahma, fantastic battle report, and love the pics! I see you folks used dice for marking units, which I did myself during the only time when I played it against my dad and brother (and we played on the other three maps). I'm not certain my legs could hold out sitting on the floor that long. I have to sit on the floor when I visit my nephews for gaming, and I need a forklift to get back up.
DITTO! I completely agree with Davidhsl's comments (including one about needing a forklift), just too lazy to type that many words... hehehe - looks like it was a great reenactment of the battle (something that I've always wanted to try) and a FUN event.
Thanks John. It was fun for sure, though the knees were barking.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:46 PM

I've temporarily abandoned Star Wars: X-Wing because the younger players in the local league have all embraced the "Meta" and become very competitive. My generic squadrons don't stand much of a chance against the Fell, Vader, Palp combinations etc.

Meanwhile, last week I got to play the first scenario of the Star Wars: Imperial Assault for the fourth time and this group is interested in continuing with the campaign. Meeting only bi-monthly means this could take a while to complete. Recently I also played "Small World," "Here Kitty, Kitty," and "Red Dragon Inn," which might have been better if we had actually been drinking the potions and chasers,

The best event for me was to finally attend NJCON-8, in Edison New Jersey which I've been hearing about for past seven years. A fairly small convention. I'd estimate only about 100 attendees on Friday, I could make it Saturday also. It's strictly War Games oriented for serious Grognards, but I got to meet several guys that I've been chatting with on-line and played "Dust Tactics" for 2 1/2 hours as the Americans in a three way Sci-Fi battle. By round #3 the Russian player asked me for a truce between us, so that we could combine forces against the Germans. Their superior technological war machines (and zombies) devastated both of us. Although none of us had played previously, the young guy playing the Germans was very familiar with WH 40K.

Old June 13th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I've temporarily abandoned Star Wars: X-Wing because the younger players in the local league have all embraced the "Meta" and become very competitive. My generic squadrons don't stand much of a chance against the Fell, Vader, Palp combinations etc.

Meanwhile, last week I got to play the first scenario of the Star Wars: Imperial Assault for the fourth time and this group is interested in continuing with the campaign. Meeting only bi-monthly means this could take a while to complete. Recently I also played "Small World," "Here Kitty, Kitty," and "Red Dragon Inn," which might have been better if we had actually been drinking the potions and chasers,

The best event for me was to finally attend NJCON-8, in Edison New Jersey which I've been hearing about for past seven years. A fairly small convention. I'd estimate only about 100 attendees on Friday, I could make it Saturday also. It's strictly War Games oriented for serious Grognards, but I got to meet several guys that I've been chatting with on-line and played "Dust Tactics" for 2 1/2 hours as the Americans in a three way Sci-Fi battle. By round #3 the Russian player asked me for a truce between us, so that we could combine forces against the Germans. Their superior technological war machines (and zombies) devastated both of us. Although none of us had played previously, the young guy playing the Germans was very familiar with WH 40K.
Sucks that the X-Wing got too competitive and meta, that's why I don't game in stores, as it seems to be more competitive than I like. I like to win of course, but in a more casual atmosphere.

I heard about some wargaming con in NJ. I joined a FB group called Tabletop Commanders. Lots of cool grognardy stuff there, and there are also some incredible dioramas that get posted on there as well.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/433810...?ref=bookmarks

There is also No Offense Wargaming

https://m.facebook.com/groups/102120...?ref=bookmarks

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:48 PM

@Hahma

Thanks for the info and <links>. I will definitely check them out when I get a chance. I think it was the dioramas that I saw at the West Point museum while on a Cub Scout field trip in the '50's, as well as some pic's in an old history text book that my parents had that got me fixated ("hooked") on wanting to play war games with miniatures (~~lol~~)

I don't mind loosing in a game, especially if it's a close one that could go either way on a dice roll, but the 100+ upgrade cards and power creeping pilot abilities in X-Wing is difficult to keep up with. And I've been playing against "kids" who have grown up with not just the six movies, but all of the video games and all of the novels, and all of the toys, etc.

@chas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
JohnGee,
You are, of course, invited to my C&C Epic Napoleonics games next month.
Chas
Thanks aaaaaagain for the invite. I luv ya like a brother and hope you know that I would be there if it were more feasible, but the bridge and tunnel trolls are quite a deterrent (hehe) and my bones ache after only one hour in a car seat (haha). At this point I doubt that I will even make it to Islandscape next month. But when I win the lottery and can hire a chauffer, it will be a different story (LOL)

Old June 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Johngee , if you get a chance, I would definitely try out the skirmish mode on Imperial assault. I would happily buy that game for the skirmish alone without the campaign. My copy of The Bespin Gambit should get to my house in a few days from coolstuffinc, Along with Bioshock Infinite: Columbia. I look forward to trying that one out as well. Also, went to Rumble in the Burg Tournament on Saturday for Heroscape and took second place. Right behind @dart48 , I did prompt him in to using his winnings on a core set of Imperial Assault (That you can double use the minis for HOSS as well.)

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

All Things Zombie: Final Fade Out (ATZ)

I've been obsessed with Two Hour Wargames recently. Normally I play these games solitaire. I have attempted to introduce family members to the system on a couple of occasions. However, I've become so accustomed to quickly rolling dice and interpreting the results that the other folks are left just staring at me and wondering what is going on.

This time, I introduced ATZ to my dad by setting up a scenario where he had to make it to the voting booth to cast his vote. He's obsessed with politics (and has pretty strong opinions), so I thought this would be a fun setting for him. I used Google Earth to capture images and print them on 14 sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" paper for the map (about 4' long) and used Memoir 44 figures to represent us and the contacts (mostly zombies).

Complete session report posted here:

http://site.twohourwargames.com/foru...php?f=7&t=2654

All Things Zombie: Mass Hysteria

If most Two Hour Wargames reflect those moments where the poop hits the fan, this game represents moments where elephant dung is tossed into a jet turbine. It's that nasty! This is a unit-based game where you're pitted against massive hordes of zombies instead of the zombies being scattered about in ATZ. The reaction system in Mass Hysteria is designed in a way where it's extremely likely your forces are going to poop their pants and run away (and who can blame them?), and the force generation will easily dump a massive group of zombies all over the place. It reminds me of a combination of Pac Man and a very bad acid trip (though I never did drugs).

Session report, played solo:

http://site.twohourwargames.com/foru...php?f=7&t=2658
Old June 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

David,

Sounds more like the New Yory City subway in rush hour!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games