Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 6th, 2016, 10:28 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Just picked up Bioshock Infinite:The siege of Columbia yesterday on their memorial day sale for 19.99. I just looked today, It jumped back up to 40 bucks. Also picked up Imperial Assault: bespin gambit. @Porkins , have you tried skirmish mode on Imperial Assault. I love that game for the skirmish alone, I have not even tried the campaign. You can even use your HOSS figures as extra squads in the game. (I just paint the rings of their bases to distinguish them. Also, Killing some more zombicide: black plague with my brothers. I just finished designing some LOTR survivors: Legolas, Gimli, Frodo, Sam, Gollum, and Gandalf. Very fun game.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:21 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

THE CHAS GAME EVENT HORIZON (Summer/Fall 2016)

June: Mare Nostrum Empires The game has recently sailed from Shanghai, been received by Academy Games in the Midwest, and started shipping yesterday! I expect to have it in about a week, and have already set up game dates to play it with pals. This Kickstarted revised design has been a very long time coming, and will be gratefully received. I was involved in editing the rules and will be getting all of the bells and whistles of the Atlas Expansion Box, but not the expensive add-ons.

This will include the two player version (Rome vs Carthage with Barbarians), the six player version (with Atlantis), and multiple scenarios for the possible number of players in between (3-5). In effect, this combines the model of the old game basic (Mare Nostrum) with its old Mythology Expansion. This game is different from the old version, including more ways to win and a shorter playing time. Although the original designer has thrown in everything but the kitchen sink this time, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps coming up with new scenarios and other things to explore his new product even further in future years.

July: Command & Colors Epic Napoleonics (Expansion #6) I've been initiating several of my new buddies in the recently started local gaming group into the mysteries of various C&C Games, so I'll have more of a player pool to draw on for the two new multiplayer formats in this upcoming expansion. I have it "preordered" in GMTs P500 program.

August: Nothing

September: 1. Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution I've pretty much committed to this, my 8th C&C game. I was hesitant on purchasing The Great War at first, but now I really enjoy the latest Richard Borg design, and am playing the Tank Expansion, which I don't even own yet, by using rules and scenarios posted on the fan site www.commandsandcolors.net. The new ARW game will have yet more innovative but simple period variants on the C&C basic rules, and will included two new scenarios on the largest action of the war, The Battle of Brooklyn (aka Long Island), which took place not far from my place here in "Da Garden Spot A Da Woild!"

September: 2. Magic The Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers Shadow Over Innistrad (Master Set Two). Is that the longest game title in existence? Finally, the game will have enough components for the key aspects of army building and spell deck building. For me, the game will be just starting out now, with enough to play without being combined with regular Heroscape to be interesting on its own! Of course, combined games will continue to be fun.

Last edited by chas; June 7th, 2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old June 7th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Alright thanks for the responses guys!

@Matthias Maccabeus - thanks for that awesome breakdown! You rock! And as far as Epic is concerned, I'm just looking to pick up more sets of Tyrants to deckbuild. And also good to know that a few are very Euro, definitely don't want those. Also Rebellion is too pricy if it lacks replayability.

@MementoMori - good to know Arcadia Quest isn't great with two. I was worried about what I'd get for the price, but if it isn't good with two I certainly won't get it.

@TREX - I'll probably hold off on Zombicide for a while as I have Dead of Winter: The Long Night pre-ordered. Also I can't wait to play Imperial Assault, it's just my dad and I have been playing the mess out of X Wing.

@Lord Pyre - Haven't played either Arkham or Eldritch, but figured Eldritch was the better one to go with.

@Yodaking - Again, Rebellion looks just a tad expensive for my tastes.

@Porkins - good to know War of the Ring is better. And Space Alert and Flash Point I just want as quick filler games, don't have to be great, just fun enough. Imperial Assault I bought mainly for skirmish mode.

Thanks again everyone!
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:02 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
@Yodaking - Again, Rebellion looks just a tad expensive for my tastes.
No doubt, I had had my eye on it for a while and already decided it was the next game I was going to buy. So even though the $100 sticker price was a bit of a shock when I saw it in the store I splurged on it anyway. That sad part is that just a few days later I went to a Comic-Con in Madison and one of the game booths there had a stack of them for $70, if only I had waited a few days I would have saved $30.
Old June 8th, 2016, 07:52 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

SPACING OUT?

I've played a pal's copy of Star Wars Rebellion once as each side now, and enjoyed it (losing both times). its lots of fun, and very thematic.

I'm now looking at Star Trek Ascendency, (GF9) which looks like it will be good, and is coming out at GenCon. I'm not rushing to buy it myself, but will certainly play it if the opportunity arises. I still love my Star Trek Fleet Captains, and can only hope, although nothing's been announced, that they finally do another expansion for the September

50th ANNIVERSARY OF STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES

Can there possibly be more Star Trek games produced than ever before this Fall?

Set your credit cards on stun!
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

On Monday night we remembered the anniversary of D-Day by playing Memoir '44 with the D-Day Landings expansion, with 3 huge paper maps for Juno, Gold and Sword beaches where the British and Canadian forces landed. We had 4 players per side, where each side had a field commander on each map, plus a supreme commander who would hand out the order cards to his commanders as well as try to give us reinforcements.

I was the German field commander for the Sword Beach map, where not only did I have to deal with the landing forces, also the British Red Devil paratroopers that had landed behind my lines. Defitely the busiest and most stressful action on my map. Fortunately, I was getting the bulk of the reinforcements, in particular, tank units that I brought in from the side of the map.

The first to get 41 VP'S and hold them through the end of a round would win. We'll it went a good 3 1/2 hours and the Allied forces had gotten to 41 VP'S. But sine they had initiative, we had our turn to take back some of their VP's and hopefully get enough to win or at least extend the game. We were down by 6 or so and one of our commanders took back a VP, then another got 2 VP's. I was last to go and moved some infantry to gain control of a bridge again in the rear for an easy uncontested VP. Then my only course of action to be able to get the final 2 VP's for the win, was to push the British off Pegasus Bridge and gain ground with my Armor to gain control of the bridge for a VP and then destroy the British unit for the final required VP. We'll it worked out that way, and after I gained ground and control of the bridge, I had 3 dice to roll against a 2 tank unit and I rolled 2 tank symbols and a star. Just enough to finish off that unit and get us to 41 VP'S. The allies had lost 4 of the ones they had because of us regaining control of bridges or beaches. Great ending.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 9th, 2016, 07:18 AM

Played a game of Age of Conan yesterday, with the new Adventures In Hyboria Expansion for over seven hours! Its a long game with some fiddly rules, although the expansion does improve it in interesting ways. The score was satisfyingly close with an exciting finish. Sherman Davies won (41) , I came in second (32), another pal from Brooklyn (29) and Taeblewalker (26).

We're playing with a rules mix that includes most of the expansion, but not its Options or the Kickstarter Edition extras. When we started playing with it all we got overwhelmed with new rules, although none are complex. There is a learning curve, and we're still figuring things out in this, the fourth play of the new version for some of us.

UPS says Mare Nostrum Empires should be here Friday, and I'll be running a game of it next Wednesday. Like Conan, its been a long time coming, and is also a Kickstarter design. The first guy to receive it says he really likes the Summary Sheets, so that sounds good.

Richard Borg just made some rules clarifications call for The Great War Tank Expansion. So I've updated the FAQ in the bgg Files section. I just played Scenario 30: Cambrai (St. Quentin Canal), a very interesting scenario which features Waterways and Bridges for the first time. It was so good that even though I'm just solitairing, I couldn't put it away without playing it a second time. Each side won one game so far: Germans and British!
Old June 9th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I was originally supposed to get Mare Nostrum Empires yesterday but it got rescheduled for today. Hopefully it doesn't get rescheduled again. A few others in my game group ordered it as well.

I'm glad Richard Borg clarified those questions on BGG for the Tanks expansion.

Old June 9th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I went to a game night last night for the first time in awhile. I'd recently received my Knight pledge for Zombicide: Black Plague, so I brought it along. We played the first two scenarios, adding in some of the promo characters for the second game. Although I probably prefer the modern setting, I definitely think Black Plague is a better game than Zombicide. The addition of armor and changing the rule that has you automatically hit your allies when shooting into a crowd really opens up options. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to trying out the Wulfsburg expansion (and of course, I had to back Massive Darkness on Kickstarter).

We finished with two games of Legendary Encounters: Predator, playing as predators and using the city setting. I'd played this a few times, and I think this is an excellent game for anyone looking for a thematic deckbuilder. I love that you have basically two different games in the box, one - a cooperative one, with the humans against one predator, and the other - a competitive game, where you play as predators trying to score the most trophy kills. My favorite is the competitive version, mainly because it has a tons of interaction and allows you to duel the other predators. Upper Deck did a great job with this game (although I enjoy the theme of Aliens more, and I want an alien expansion that allows players to play as aliens hunting colonial marines).
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:52 AM

Hahma,

Nice photos on the M44DDL! I didn't attend the six map one held around here this year, but I do enjoy playing it with one map, three, or all six! I hope they continue expansions for Memoir 44. The War In China, which started in 1937, has only been covered by fan scenarios. But there are lots of other things WWII they could do as well. I'd love to see Operation Olympic, the hypothetical Invasion of Japan in 1945, which I've done with Mr. Borg at a convention. The Americans had heavy Pershing tanks (played as Tigers), and the Japanese had suicide speedboats! It could be done on the same amphibious landing scale as DDL!

The upcoming C&C Tricorne: American Revolution has only two scenarios on The Battle of Brooklyn. Other than that, it looks pretty good!
Old June 9th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

@Hahma , fantastic battle report, and love the pics! I see you folks used dice for marking units, which I did myself during the only time when I played it against my dad and brother (and we played on the other three maps). I'm not certain my legs could hold out sitting on the floor that long. I have to sit on the floor when I visit my nephews for gaming, and I need a forklift to get back up.
Old June 9th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
@Hahma , fantastic battle report, and love the pics! I see you folks used dice for marking units, which I did myself during the only time when I played it against my dad and brother (and we played on the other three maps). I'm not certain my legs could hold out sitting on the floor that long. I have to sit on the floor when I visit my nephews for gaming, and I need a forklift to get back up.
I started on the floor, but dragged a chair over to sit on while waiting between my turns. I just about needed a forklift to get up each time. The one picture shows the young kid (20) that I was pitted against. He didn't needed a chair He's studying to be a professor of history and has been very good at Memoir, The Great War and Sergeants Miniatures Game. Really good kid.

We had to use dice for most units to keep track of damage and had to use some black dice for barbed wire by the beach here and there for lack of enough wire pieces. We also had to use some Japanese figures for British since they were similar color.

Fun game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games