Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old March 15th, 2024, 10:18 AM

CleverName is surprisingly tart
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

My first post since March 13th, 2015...

Please forgive my ignorance and this long post. I last played heroscape almost a decade ago with my young son. I am interested in playing again and helping my FLGS by being an ambassador for the game, in prep for the new version in August. I already teach games at the store. My plan is to re-learn the game and build a couple of demo armies and terrain sets I can transport to teach.

1) I need to catalog my old collection to see what I have. I imagine there a spreadsheet or program that can help with that; what do you recommend?

2) Once I know what I have, I can try to figure out good intro scenarios to demo/teach the game. I know that will depend on what I can build, but if you have some starting place for me, I’m all ears.

Thanks 🙏
Old March 15th, 2024, 10:55 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Welcome back!
Always been a fan of Gary's.
For starter armies I usually went with dragons, easy and look cool.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 15th, 2024, 11:20 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Welcome back!
For starter armies I usually went with dragons, easy and look cool.
And robots. Dragons vs robots really sucks in the newbies.

Avoid the complicated bonding/cheerleader/etc. armies to begin with. Although they tend to be better overall, a straight-up bashfest tends to be a better introductory experience.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old March 15th, 2024, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Tornado;2620253]Welcome back!

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at Garys page and I see the cool Tables, but I'm not sure how the cataloguing function works... Or are you scraping the data into your own spreadsheet? Or, I'm missing something...
Old March 15th, 2024, 12:32 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Hmm, I could at some point, generate a spreadsheet file using my xml source file. I'll add it to my priority list.

Right now, I'm focused on including all the VC characters before August.
Old March 16th, 2024, 06:58 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverName View Post

Please forgive my ignorance and this long post. I last played heroscape almost a decade ago with my young son. I am interested in playing again and helping my FLGS by being an ambassador for the game, in prep for the new version in August. I already teach games at the store. My plan is to re-learn the game and build a couple of demo armies and terrain sets I can transport to teach.

1) I need to catalog my old collection to see what I have. I imagine there a spreadsheet or program that can help with that; what do you recommend?

2) Once I know what I have, I can try to figure out good intro scenarios to demo/teach the game. I know that will depend on what I can build, but if you have some starting place for me, I’m all ears.

Thanks ��
Excel is probably as good of anything for cataloging. I remember an app with a collection tracker back in the day, but I haven't seen anything like that for a long time.

As for terrain, I sort everything by size and type, but a lot of people sort by Master Set. Most maps are designed using a set number of Master Set's worth of terrain.

When I teach someone new, I send them Sir Heroscape's How to Play video to watch ahead of time. That shows the basics and makes learning the game, day of, much quicker. But if you're teaching people at random in a game store, obviously you don't have that head start. I don't know if one exists but perhaps typing up a quick guide of the rules and turn order would be useful.

As for armies, provide small armies on small maps, potentially, just using RotV units or just unique units. Though 2x common squads and one bonding hero wouldn't be too overwhelming.

On a second or third playthrough, if people want to pick their own army I tell them to just pick out units that look cool and not worry about synergy or bonding or anything.

OG Heroscape collection completed on 6/21/2016!

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!
Old March 16th, 2024, 09:29 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Thanks 🙏
As you say, I think the answer to 2 will depend on the answer to 1. But you'll probably want to keep it small, but also have a nice-looking map with LoS blockers. Once you have your terrain sorted out, let us know and you'll get recommendations for cool-looking maps.

I look forward to hearing updates about how this is going for you. Thanks for sharing!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I just ran into another issue. Two of my terrain tiles shattered while trying to disassemble a setup. They have been stored for several years. Maybe I’m just a klutz, but have you heard of them becoming brittle over time?
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I just ran into another issue. Two of my terrain tiles shattered while trying to disassemble a setup. They have been stored for several years. Maybe I’m just a klutz, but have you heard of them becoming brittle over time?
I believe every person on this site has had that happen, welcome to the club.
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Keep your terrain out of strong direct sunlight as much as possible. The solid (non-sparkly) water is usually the first to go! The snow is the first to fade--from white to yellow/brown.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's