Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

View Poll Results: Which two armies should I play?
I 0 0%
II 1 16.67%
III 1 16.67%
IV 5 83.33%
V 2 33.33%
VI 2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 14th, 2017, 11:48 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Toril Army Poll

Well met!

The Gang of Four meets once again on Wednesday next, as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Hey guys. I've decided on my scenario. It will be a 600 point kill'em all. All of your units must be from the same world, so it's a War of the Worlds scenario like they have at GenCon.

Quote:
Ok. First of all I'll say that only Kurrok is from Toril instead of all the Eberron units. Secondly, while I still haven't chosen/designed the map, I'll be sure to include some dungeon and/or shadow for the Drow.

Edit: 10 round limit sounds good.

Below are the armies I am considering:

I
210 Drow x 3
140 Othkurik
Skeleton Archers x 4
75 Cormin the Dark
60 Elaria
605, 21 spaces

II
140 Drow x 2
140 Othkurik
120 Greenscales x 2
120 Skeleton Archers x 4
60 Elaria

25 Chainfighter
605, 24 spaces

III
150 Skeleton Archers x 5
140 Drow x 2

140 Master of the Hunt
90 Myrddin

60 Elaria
25 Chainfighter
605, 20 spaces

IV
180 Greenscales x 3
150 Skeleton Archers x 5
140 Othkurik

75 Cormin the Dark
60 Elaria
605, 23 spaces

V
210 Drow x 3
140 Othkurik
120 Greenscales x 2
75 Cormin the Dark
60 Elaria
605, 19 spaces

VI
210 Drow x 3
Skeleton Archers x 6
80 Estivara
75 Cormin the Dark
60 Elaria
605, 24 spaces

As two games (at least) will be played, please pick two.

Old August 14th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Toril Army Poll

It's hard saying. All of the armies feature similar units (which says what units you'd like to play ). At this point I'd just go with 4 and 6. These two armies feel the most different, giving you a second chance if the first game flubs.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 14th, 2017, 03:00 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
It's hard saying. All of the armies feature similar units (which says what units you'd like to play ). At this point I'd just go with 4 and 6. These two armies feel the most different, giving you a second chance if the first game flubs.

Very interesting . . .

Flameslayer93,
it appears to me that III is the most unique, as it is the only one featuring Master of the Hunt and Myrrdin.

I'm curious in general about the rationales for each vote. Some factors I'm considering:

1. The terrain. Armies I and V (identical except for Archers versus Greenscales) have the highest % of points advantaged, Armies III and IV the lowest.

2. Elaria. She is most useful in Army VI, and the least in Army IV.

3. Range versus melee. Army V has only Othkurik for a ranged attack. Army III is primarily ranged. Which Army has the best balance? Which can handle the widest array of threats?

4. Archers. What is the optimum range of numbers of squads (minimum/maximum) to field.

5. Card efficiency. Armies IV and V are the most efficient, while Army III is the least. The 10 Round limit and the size of the map may make it difficult to bring up all my units.

6. Free for all. With four Players, the Round limit, and victory being determined by points killed, do I want more range (versus melee) than I ordinarily would?

Old August 15th, 2017, 11:33 AM

Well met!

Quote:
Here's a map I modified from a two player map I found on the site. There is a nice amount of dungeon and shadow, plus some lava field. Here's the link.

Here is the original Wyrmwalk by Panopticon:

Apparently, additional Start Zones are placed on the short ends of the map.

This is a relatively small map. Good for Othkurik and melee. How good/bad for the Tomb Skeleton Archers . . . ?

Old August 15th, 2017, 12:37 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

The Skeleton Archers are really bad : (

They need height for sure but since they only have 4 move - sometimes getting there can be a challenge. You do get to move 4 of them (if no one shoots back) and then once they are in position you can attack with all 4 .. but it does take some time to set up.

They are 'Guards' but not sure if you have room for Warden 816 (or if he fits the homeworld theme).

--

I played 3 games with Othkurik + Greenscales a few weeks ago. The army went 1-2. The young black dragon is a little fragile but he makes an excellent assassin if you can pull off the lurking ambush (fly 7, attack 7 - maybe 8 if you get height). You just have to be careful to not over-extend him (especially with a short range breath weapon).

--

The Deepwyrm Drow can be more competitive with Shadow or even just Dungeon hexes. Hide in Darkness is great for that random awesome roll to not take any damage - except it won't work against special attacks. Try to eliminate any special attackers first so the Drow can be at their best.
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:17 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
The Skeleton Archers are really bad : (

They need height for sure but since they only have 4 move - sometimes getting there can be a challenge. You do get to move 4 of them (if no one shoots back) and then once they are in position you can attack with all 4 .. but it does take some time to set up.

They are 'Guards' but not sure if you have room for Warden 816 (or if he fits the homeworld theme).

--

I played 3 games with Othkurik + Greenscales a few weeks ago. The army went 1-2. The young black dragon is a little fragile but he makes an excellent assassin if you can pull off the lurking ambush (fly 7, attack 7 - maybe 8 if you get height). You just have to be careful to not over-extend him (especially with a short range breath weapon).

--

The Deepwyrm Drow can be more competitive with Shadow or even just Dungeon hexes. Hide in Darkness is great for that random awesome roll to not take any damage - except it won't work against special attacks. Try to eliminate any special attackers first so the Drow can be at their best.

Hard to know how the map and the nature of a 4 player free for all affect your analysis. If my army is in one of the original Start Zones, the Skeletons can move onto height on the first turn.

Old August 15th, 2017, 01:37 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

Quote:
Here's a map I modified from a two player map I found on the site. There is a nice amount of dungeon and shadow, plus some lava field. Here's the link.

Here is the original Wyrmwalk by Panopticon:

Apparently, additional Start Zones are placed on the short ends of the map.

This is a relatively small map. Good for Othkurik and melee. How good/bad for the Tomb Skeleton Archers . . . ?

With this map in mind, army II looks pretty good. The Drow have plenty of dungeon and shadow to pull off hide in darkness, which also benefits from Elaria. Greenscales bond with and give a protective screen to Othkurik. Othkurik himself can assassinate key figures with plenty of shadow to aid lurking ambush. The skeleton archers can pick off targets with a potential 4 attacks from 7 range. And who doesn't like the idea of chain grabbing a figure onto lava?
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:58 PM

Well met!

To
@HEROSCAPERMTL, @obfuscatedhippo, @Airborne Elite 5, @flameslayer93, and @Scaperedude, and all other interested parties:

Now we have a map (
Wyrmwalk by Panopticon, modified by Taeblewalker for 4 Players (see link)).

It's very much smaller than the Gang usually plays on. Questions:

1. The Drow Chainfighter versus Cormin the Dark. Sorry
HEROSCAPERMTL, but the Chainfighter cannot throw units into Molten Lava, as they must end up on a same level space as the Chainfighter. However, he does save 50 points over Cormin, allowing for a wider variety of units in armies containing him. The armies featuring Cormin are generally more efficient, as the Chainfighter is essentially just filler. Cornin's Facade works optimally when there are cheap units around with which to switch positions. Obviously, the Tomb Skeleton Archers are the most expendable, mitigating against Army V.

2. Are the
Tomb Skeleton Archers really that bad? obfuscatedhippo feels they are. Is he right in this context (see above)? Their move of four doesn't seem like much of a problem on such a small map, and their range of 7 is very good.

3. Drow versus Greenscales. Is it desirable to have both in the same army with Othkurik? Are the Drow alone good enough to screen for Othkurik on such a tiny map, or does the Greenscales' OM efficiency make them better, if fielding one or the other, but not both?

4. Master of the Hunt and/or Myrddin. How viable, in this context?

5. Army VI versus Army I. Why all the love for VI, and none for I?

Old August 15th, 2017, 05:06 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

@kolakoski I was kinda hoping there was shadow tiles adjacent to molten lava tiles... could always chain grab a figure onto lava field though

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion