Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old March 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter

So during a discussion about nick names and why you chose them, I said why I picked mine, and it involved a clan and X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter or XvT as it was pretty much known exclusively.

The story was here
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=7178
And on the third page Draconious said he also played,

SO I was wondering who else played XvT?

Back in the day when I was about 14-17
I was apart of a clan called LSF (Last Starfighter League), mostly known only by its clan tag.

We were one of the biggest 5 clans, with TRA and TFA the biggest probably.

We also took part in WoW (Week of War) regularily, we did fairly well, you can see old stats for WoW at BattleStats.com a HUGE archive of WoWs for tonnes of games.
WoW was basically the world championships for many games.

So, who else used to live and breathe XvT

::Nathan Hoel::
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
Re: X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter

I only played X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter a bit, though I did play Tie Fighter through from start to finish several times. I loved that game.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
As i said in the thread, I made the ship patch, using other hacks for other Xwing games...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/draconious/XW

played it a few times, I recall joining a game with 4 ppl once, and being connected for 6 hours.... before starting the next game lol
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Dreaded Gazebo has disabled reputation
Re: X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
I only played X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter a bit, though I did play Tie Fighter through from start to finish several times. I loved that game.
Same here. TIE Fighter was awesome. I also enjoyed the more recent X-Wing Alliance. Great games, wish we could see Star Wars games of this quality again!
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
I played the single player versions of all of those star wars flight sims. Those were great games. It's a darn shame that the space flight sim genre has all but disappeared. Wing Commander - X-Wing/Tie-Fighter - and tangentially the MechWarrior games which were the same idea but with different physics because of the vehicle differences. Those were my favorites from that genre. Wing Commander Prophecies is still pretty fun to play now and holds up well.
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Arbiter of Peace

FreeSpace 2 was a great flight sim too actually.. Way ahead of its time for graphics.

Tie Fighter was by far the best story I've played in a flight sim, and top 5 games ever played period.

Old March 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch
Tie Fighter was by far the best story I've played in a flight sim, and top 5 games ever played period.
The combination of great story and great gameplay made Tie Fighter a richly rewarding game. Man, how I even loved those debriefings with the Imperial officer after each mission. He couldn't have looked more authentic and his comments really made things seem that much more "real". It really made me feel like I was a part of the game (especially as I was always such a huge Empire/Darth Vader fan). The cutscenes were great too.

BTW: I'm not sure how many of you Tie Fighter fans are aware of this, but there was actually a Tie Fighter Gold released which is the original Tie Fighter using the spruced up in-game graphics engine of X-Wing vs. Tie. I think I need to get my hands on it, as all this talk is really making me want to play.
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
I played a lot of X-Wing. I played the living hell out of Tie Fighter. I missed out on X-WvsTF, though. When I finally did get it it was after playing the hell out of X-Wing Alliance. X-WvsTF was just not up to par after playing X-WA, IMO. I'm sure I would have loved it had I bought it when it came out.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
FreeSpace 2 was a great flight sim too actually.. Way ahead of its time for graphics.

For me it's the first two Wing Commanders all the way! Man that was an amazing game with an awesome storyline and great mission design. The whole game engine was way ahead of its time too. Consider that Wing Commander I came out in 1990, two years before Wolfenstein 3d, and had full 3 dimensional movement and targetting (compared to Wolfenstein 3D's essentially 2-dimensional movement and targetting with the vertical dimension being really an illusion of sorts). All of the characters had interesting personalities and actually behaved differently in combat based on the personalities they expressed in the cutscenes. It had a branching plotline based on mission results, components getting damaged in the ship and effecting flight capability, promotions and medals based on performance, selection of ship type and weapon payload before mission start, the works.

The first one was a better game I think, but the second one had a really great storyline full of betrayal, romance, dishonor and redemption - all of these cinematic things that are common now but at the time it was really way beyond almost anything else in this department.

These two games established the "norm" for the entire genre to follow and did a darn good job of it too. I still think that they were the best of them.

Oh, and it was all about the mass drivers...oh yeah!
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Arbiter of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc
I played a lot of X-Wing. I played the living hell out of Tie Fighter. I missed out on X-WvsTF, though. When I finally did get it it was after playing the hell out of X-Wing Alliance. X-WvsTF was just not up to par after playing X-WA, IMO. I'm sure I would have loved it had I bought it when it came out.
XvT is still played more than XWA, mainly because XvT network code and MP dymanics are better.

I went down a memory lane kind of thing and checked out some places I used to go to. All of them dead, but I did see some other clans still play, thats nuts. The game came out almost 10 years ago.

Old March 9th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
I went down a memory lane kind of thing and checked out some places I used to go to. All of them dead, but I did see some other clans still play, thats nuts. The game came out almost 10 years ago.
Old games rule. 10 years old and outdated graphics? Doesn't mean anything to me. Hell, I've played Fallout 1 all the way though about 5 times in the past few months.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Tie Fighter was one of the first games I bought with my first PC purchase. Loved that game. Space sims are my favorite genre and, like a poster above, I am perturbated and conflummuxed by the lack of good space sims these past years. Apparently it's all about aggro and lvls now.

Kids today.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games