Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:38 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: SPOILER TALK: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post

Hux - felt too young. Tarkin fulfilled a similar role amazingly. I felt like Hux almost had to try too hard. Like he was trying to seem powerful by shouting, whereas someone like Tarkin had no real need to shout, he was simply sovereign.
I think that is kind of the point with Hux. He is young and trying to prove he is worthy of his position.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:42 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:

Hux - felt too young. Tarkin fulfilled a similar role amazingly. I felt like Hux almost had to try too hard. Like he was trying to seem powerful by shouting, whereas someone like Tarkin had no real need to shout, he was simply sovereign.
I think that is kind of the point with Hux. He is young and trying to prove he is worthy of his position.
Or you know it is the 2000 and teens and every casting agent is only looking for fresh-faced youngsters. I'm amazed they let Poe on set being over thirty and all.

(famous actors not withstanding)

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:43 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:

Yeah, but it makes me wonder, what's the appeal of the First Order for yung uns who aren't brainwashed like the stormtroopers are? Maybe them rambunctious nazis just like stirring up trouble in the galaxy.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:34 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
[

Or you know it is the 2000 and teens and every casting agent is only looking for fresh-faced youngsters. I'm amazed they let Poe on set being over thirty and all.

(famous actors not withstanding)
That's more like what I felt. It's 2000 so we have women on both sides, women stormtroopers, women villains, a female lead, a black lead, lots and lots of young actors, everyone tends to be avoiding taking responsibilty (Luke runs away, Finn wants to jump ship, Han has been on the run, etc)

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 26th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Just saw TFA and was disappointed.

Yes, another planet destroying Death Star like weapon. Similar wave of fighters trying to stop it (though this time they had some inside help), all the while the rebel leaders are looking on helplessly and counting down to their destruction. Also, hiding a secret in a droid was kind of a re-hash. I get it though, as it's totally a marketing element to have a cute droid as one of the centerpieces.

Every time I saw Poe, I saw Ponch (Eric Estrada)from CHIPS, so that didn't help. He was also a bit to enthusiastic every time he blew something up. I could see it a little more from a youngster like Fin, but Poe is the best pilot in the fleet, I'd have expected a little more "act like you've been there before" attitude. Also, their reunion was more like long time buddies reuniting, rather than a couple guys spending a few hours together, using each other to escape.

Leia/Solo scenes made me want to puke. Though otherwise, I did love everything else Solo was involved with and his lines. He and Chewy were great, like days of old. Solo was the best part of the movie for me. Though it was kind of odd that after decades together, this was the first time got to shoot Chewy's crossbow weapon.

I liked Rey a lot too, she was the other bright spot of the movie for me. It was weird though that she just randomly uses the Obi-Wan Jedi mind trick on that one stormtrooper when she was shackled to that interrogation chair. It was also weird that she was sweating all the time, even outside in the snow.

Fin was okay, though a little too enthusiastic at times for me.

Ren was disappointing. His confliction wasn't convincing to me, I really didn't buy it. He had some good use of the force, but seemed like a weak fighter. He wanted to be Darth Vader, and even had a wannabe black helmet. For someone who was right there near the top of the food chain (even having his own fancy shuttle, with moving wings that seemed pointless), he seemed pretty weak. It didn't help his cause when Fin held his own against him for awhile, and Rey took it to him.

The chrome stormtrooper chick lowered the shields pretty quickly. Not very committed to the cause.

I did enjoy the dogfighting and other ship flight over land, with the sky in the background. Cool look compared to the all outer space look.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; December 27th, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Anyone want to take a swing at who Rey's parent(s) is (are)?

My bet is that she's related to Obi-wan Kenobi, probably as a grand-daughter. Here's my backup:

- Rey's accent: Rey and Obi-wan share an English accent. It's not evidence, I think, but it could be a clue/shout-out by the film-makers to a connection between the two. You might say that she's only using her normal voice and why is that indicative of anything, but John Boyega (Finn) also has a British accent, which he covered (or the film-makers asked him to).

- Rey's vision: Obi-wan's voice is the only one in her vision (when she touches the lightsaber) to communicate. Luke just yells Noooooo!, Vader breathes, Yoda grumbles from what I can tell. But Obi-wan says "Rey, these are your first steps".

- Rey's age: If we assume that Obi-wan had a kid about ten years after going into hiding, then that kid had Rey in their early twenties (I think my math is right here, since Luke is 23 in RotJ, & TFA takes place 30 years after that, so a child born in 9BBY would be 12 in RotJ, and if Rey is approximately 19 in TFA, that means this supposed Obi-spawn would be 23 at the approximate time of Rey's birth), then Rey could be his grand-daughter.

Anyway, there's a few reasons for my theory (not evidence, just convenient pieces of stuff).

I'd love to hear what people think of this mystery?
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

I think she is Luke's daughter.

Han and Leia marry and start a family soon after RotJ, begetting Ben Solo, aka Kylo Ren. Luke begins rebuilding the Jedi Order and marries a couple years later, begetting Rey. A young Ben Solo turns on Luke, decimates the fledgling Jedi - and possibly kills Luke's wife. Luke leaves Rey on Jakku to keep her out of the reach of Kylo Ren, and then apparently goes into hiding in Ireland. While on Jakku, Rey's caretaker dies, leaving Rey to fend for herself.

Edit: the hint for me was the voice-over in the trailer of Luke saying the Force is strong in his family from RotJ. It didn't make the final cut of the film, but it's enough of a hint for me.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old December 29th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
I think she is Luke's daughter.

Han and Leia marry and start a family soon after RotJ, begetting Ben Solo, aka Kylo Ren. Luke begins rebuilding the Jedi Order and marries a couple years later, begetting Rey. A young Ben Solo turns on Luke, decimates the fledgling Jedi - and possibly kills Luke's wife. Luke leaves Rey on Jakku to keep her out of the reach of Kylo Ren, and then apparently goes into hiding in Ireland. While on Jakku, Rey's caretaker dies, leaving Rey to fend for herself.

Edit: the hint for me was the voice-over in the trailer of Luke saying the Force is strong in his family from RotJ. It didn't make the final cut of the film, but it's enough of a hint for me.
Except that the one holding her arm is the guy who is ripping her off at the Junk store, so I doubt Luke (or anybody noble) intentionally left her in the situation she is in at the beginning of the film.
Old December 29th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
- Rey's vision: Obi-wan's voice is the only one in her vision (when she touches the lightsaber) to communicate. Luke just yells Noooooo!, Vader breathes, Yoda grumbles from what I can tell. But Obi-wan says "Rey, these are your first steps".
I thought that was Lor San Tekka (Max Von Sydow) saying that.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
I thought that was Lor San Tekka (Max Von Sydow) saying that.
We know it's Alec Guinness saying "Rey", and it's interesting how they added it in. Turns out they used Alec's line from Episode 4 when he said "don't be afraid" when talking to R2

I didn't catch it the first time, but they also brought in Ewan McGregor to say "These are your first steps".
Here's an article: http://www.slashfilm.com/you-can-hea...force-awakens/

In my opinion, she's Obi-Wans grandchild because during her vision his line had much more significance than Luke's "NOOOOOO" or Yoda's grumbles. I know this isn't much to go on, I'm hoping they'll explain it more in Episode 8.
Old December 29th, 2015, 01:41 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thoughts

The movie seems to be telling me she's related to Luke but I am warming up to the idea that she is not related to anyone. It works for a much better reason narratively but I'm not convinced it's where they're going.

~Dysole, who's read a lot of theories
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think they're keeping it in the dark on purpose, so that they could make her anybody's kid if need be. I'd also like to think that she's not related to anyone, but that's not how Star Wars works it seems.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies