Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Is Here

Several months ago, I finished the book, The Hunger Games. It is a book about 24 kids that are sent into an arena to fight to the death. The Capitol is run like a Dictatorship, so life is very hard for most people. The government uses The Hunger Games to keep the rest of the nation under control, and is just a reminder of the Capitol's superiority.

It is a book designed for Children 12+, but can be enjoyed by just about anyone. Despite how it sounds, it isn't very gruesome, as most deaths aren't really described that way.

I'm currently reading the sequel, Catching Fire and it is the best book I've read in a while. The author of the Hunger Games Trilogy, is Suzanne Collins, who also wrote the Gregor the Overlander Series, meant for younger children. And as a side note, the Hunger Games is being made into a movie, but I do not know when it will come out.

The books are very good, and I suggest anyone who hasn't read them, to try. And lastly, has anyone read the Hunger Games already?

Edit: I have a slight hint of what the sequel is about. It is very vague, and only someone who has already read Hunger Games will understand it.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by rednax; September 2nd, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Hunger Games

I enjoyed Hunger Games quite a bit, but I really hate "to be continued" endings - especially from a first book. I might give the rest of the series a shot after she finishes writing it.

~Aldin, hiding in the mud

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Good to hear you read the book, Aldin! I enjoyed it a lot, and loved the second book in the series even more. It has a lot more to it, than the first book, where the objective was just survival. In the second, you learn a little more about the main character, and involves more than survival (well, at least the kind the Hunger Games involved).

Is there anyone else who has read the book?
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

This reminds me a lot of The Long Walk by Stephen King (published under the Bachman Books originally). It's considered a short story but is easily one of my favorite King tales. With Hunger Games being from the same vein, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Off to the book store and the coupon that coincidentally came today.

-insert signature here-
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
This reminds me a lot of The Long Walk by Stephen King (published under the Bachman Books originally). It's considered a short story but is easily one of my favorite King tales. With Hunger Games being from the same vein, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Off to the book store and the coupon that coincidentally came today.
Glad to see you'll be getting the book. It's about average length (300-some pages) and is a pretty quick read since the font isn't very small.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

~Rednax, who Aldin-ishly could only assume that Hunger Game customs and scenarios would be all over this site, if it were more widely known
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Picked it up today, now I just need to get through what I'm currently reading (just 300 pages to go... 1000 pg book).

-insert signature here-
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Picked it up today, now I just need to get through what I'm currently reading (just 300 pages to go... 1000 pg book).
Glad to hear, nyys! I'm almost certain you'll enjoy it (and possibly the sequel).
Old September 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM

jameswards16 is surprisingly tart

Hunger Games is a very good book, and so is Catching Fire. I can't wait for the third. That 'to be continued' stuff ergs me, but at least there is something to look forward to.

-- James
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Glad to hear you read it. The next part is a spoiler, so don't open it if you plan on reading Catching Fire.

Spoiler Alert!

Anyone else who has read the book?
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Ripped through this one in a couple days (for me that's saying something). Very good book and I defintiely reccomend it to anyone who likes post apocalyptic crazyness that society creates when all the rules have been re-written.

I do have a couple gripes about the book.

1) That it was young adult. I think it could have been much more intense were it not toned down for the younger audience. Though even with it being toned down I'm surprised this is considered young adult considering the underlying theme (gory murder).

2)
Spoiler Alert!

-insert signature here-
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I enjoyed Hunger Games quite a bit, but I really hate "to be continued" endings - especially from a first book. I might give the rest of the series a shot after she finishes writing it.

~Aldin, hiding in the mud
This is what is selling me on not reading it until finished. Dealing with George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire's inconsistent releases leaves me weary of picking up any series that is not complete.
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
p-o'd exaderater

LeviofDoom is surprisingly tart

the day i checked it out from the library, my teacher decided to read it for read aloudso i decided to read Pendragon instead, since my Reading teacher is already reading it to us anyway. so far it is a great book. My favorite authors are Jonathan Stroud, and Garth Nix. You should definatly (despite it's cheesy name) Heroes of The Valley by Jonathan Stroud

My 2011 tourney record: 7-7
My 2010 tourney record: 7-9

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books