Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:30 PM

anagrams_are_just_grams Woo who?
Re: Orc's Power Rankings

For the most part I think a lot of these changes are "correct".

Raelin is for sure the best piece to ever be in this game. Creating a whole new letter grade is appropriate.

Warriors at A+ is a good spot for them. I've never seen them not kill their point value, and they are just too consistently good to not be among the best.

10th should've been A this whole time. In my opinion in a 18 figure game I see them as being better than the 4th, and in 24 hex I think the 4th are better. Regardless since the redcoats are pretty much clones with slight differences, they should be in the same grade. Marcu/MBS/Nerak should've always been A's. They are too good for their points not to be and both MBS and Nerak bond with multiple elite squads, and Marcu is amazing for soaking up the wound glyph and is perhaps the best filler in the game. Him or Isamu. I do have some thoughts about the A's in general. I think blast and glads can be dropped to A- nowadays. The meta focusing on figure limits is enough to justify this. Not being able to play 3 squads of both really hurts them. Mario stingers can be dropped down as well. They 4th/10th, knights/heavies, and kravs all really put the hurt on them and while they are good, I feel that they are a behind those. I might get flack for saying this, but I feel like the Hydra could be dropped to A- as well. The Hydra is the piece I fear the most of anything, but its a very high variance unit, and a single bad defensive role can just cripple it. I think it would be fine left as an A, but because of the consistency it feels a lot like cyprein or the airborne where when they go off they go off, but other times they let your down.

I see eltahale getting the respect she deserves with that A-. One of my favorite pieces for sure, and I think thats the right spot for her. Mezzos makes sense as A-. Romans can be hurt by the figure limit but the lowish point totals help. They probably have one of the best if not the best selection to bond with so A- is appropriate. Not sure about blades but I can see it as either A- or B+.

B+ has a lot of changes. Eldgrim and fire elemental dropping makes sense. Firestorm is good, but its rare because buy a dozen fire elementals is expensive and hard to do. Frost giant at B+ is woke. He is criminally underrated. He can go toe to toe with almost any hero and come out on top or come out even and for his points that makes a lot of difference. Trading frost giant for nilfheim or TKN is great. Marrden Hounds up to B+ is right I think. They'd be A- if they were more consistent. They can really do a number on a lot of things. Nakitas up is also a good choice. Tarns and Ashra are sleepers and are really good as tech. I don't think MacDirks should be up at B+. I can see B- or B, but B+ is an overcorrection from ranking them at C+. Dropping Drake Sotm was about right. A- was overrating him. Dividers at B+ makes sense too, they're good but they only get 3 attacks in melee per turn.

Gladiators at B makes sense. They have good stats but their total numbers are meh. 11 gladiators at 500 is just too few especially considering braxas/TKN/hounds/cyprien all exist. Drake Rotv down makes sense. Ornak is a solid B. He's amazing in one specific format, and he's decent in RTW, and underrated overall. Unpopular opinion, but after Sir Gilbert he's the next best flag bearer, which leads me to my next point. Thank you for putting Laglor at B. Laglor is the most overrated piece in the game. He helped one army win gencon once a decade ago, but maps have gotten smaller and less open since then, people have gotten better at playing the game, and melee is more powerful because of both of those things. Laglor's boost on paper looks good because its a +2 range, but unless a figure is standing 8-9 spaces away it really doesn't make much of a difference. 110 points for maybe a couple attacks at that range is not worth it. I guess its good sometimes, but laglor hasn't put in work in a loooooong time. Sonlen is kinda underrated. He has the potential to do a lot but isn't consistent enough to get his abilities to go off enough. B is appropriate. Othkurik is the 2nd worst dragon. B+ overrated him. Warfordged down is about right. Their abilities are decent, but auto wonders eat them up, and switching is occasionally decent, but a decent opponent can play around it I think.

Shurrak down to B- is fair. He's good but expensive and too situational. Siege is in the same boat. Wolves up is a good move. They are incredibly inconsistent, but a special attack of 5 that improves positioning is good. Werewolf Lord can be bumped up. He is really underrated tech. If he wounds TKN or a key bonding hero, your opponent has to fight an uphill battle. Breaking up bonding armies for 140 points is really underrated. The fact he can moon frenzy is icing on the cake. I could see him at B+, but B is probably more accurate. He's only good as tech against bonding so if your opponent isn't playing bonding he's meh, but if they are he can unleash the top 10 anime betrayals left and right.

This ranking is woke. I agree with probably 90% of the changes. I really like the direction the meta has shifted to with more formats encompassing the possibility of playing your own units, and having a figure limit. I think it makes the games more hero centric, and more oriented to skill. This+the state of the meta address were both good reads. Thanks for writing these up.

Last edited by anagrams_are_just_grams; May 10th, 2018 at 11:57 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion