Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old March 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Re: BattleLore Discussion

Some quick-ish "theory-loring" notes for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post

AMAZONS
Amazon Shield Maidens (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Short Sword.
• Skilled: When attacking green and blue banner units, reroll one (only) banner color symbol for an extra hit or flag.

Amazon Archers (4 figures)
• Green Banner Foot Unit.
• Long Bow.
• Skilled: When attacking green and blue banner units, reroll one (only) banner color symbol for an extra hit or flag.

Amazon Panther Riders
• Blue Banner Mounted Unit (3 figures).
• Long Sword.
• Bold.
• Panther Roar: If any flags are rolled, reroll each for an extra flag or hit.
All very reasonable - though I wouldn't suggest limiting the skilled abilities to only blue and green banners. While it is a natural association for many to make (as it often is the case), red does not necessarily mean better than blue or green. I really like the Panther Roar ability, and I had imagined that a racial characteristic for some expansion to this game could/should be built around it - likely an undead faction of somesort, building around the idea of fear equating to the flag result.

Quote:
BARBARIANS
Barbarian Irregular Axe Wielders (4 figures)
• Battle Axe.
• Bold.
• Bear Skin: Ignore first Sword on Shield symbol rolled against them in melee
• Reckless: In melee, Barbarian Axe Wielders may never retreat. Each flag rolled against them is a hit. For each Barbarian Swordsman figure destroyed by a flag, roll one die before possibly battling back. Banner colors (only) count as hits on the attacking unit.

Barbarian Axe Wielders (3 figures)
• Red Banner Foot Unit: May move 2 and still battle if engaging an opponent’s unit in melee.
• Battle Axe: May reroll all Sword on Shield symbols for extra flags and hits until none are rolled or the target is dead.
• Bold.
• Bear Skin: Ignore the first Sword on Shield symbol against them in melee
• Reckless: In melee only, Barbarian Axe Wielders may never retreat. Each flag rolled against them is a hit. For each Barbarian Axe Wielder figure destroyed by a flag, roll one die before possibly battling back. Count any flag or banner color hit against the attacking unit.
Some work may want to be done on the die involved in Reckless, and Axes as a foot unit's weapon already have a "definition" of rerolling 1d anytime at least one bonus strike is not ignored (so may want to adopt that, or slightly change the name of the weapon, etc.), but those are fine. Bearskin would be a good racial/faction based ability, as would some form of Reckless, and then build around that for other units.

Quote:
GREENWOOD ELVES AND CENTAURS
All Greenwood Elves have the following power:
Forest Born: When in a Wooded Terrain Hex, a Greenwood Elf unit ignores movement and combat restrictions, and is considered to have one point of support.

Greenwood Elf Irregular Archers (4 figures)
• Long Bow.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Forest Trackers (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit: May move 2 and still battle.
• Reflex Bow.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Longbows (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Longbow.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Regular Infantry (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Long Sword.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Enchantress (1 figure)
• N/A; embedded only, added to an Elf foot unit; does not count toward number of hits that unit can take.
• Removed when banner bearer is killed.
• Beguiling: When an attacking unit rolls at least one Lore symbol and at least one banner color hit against the Enchantress' unit in melee, the attacker must change the banner color hit into a Lore symbol. The attacking unit may still collect a Lore Token for any Lore rolled, including the banner color hit, or activate any powers involving Lore Tokens.

Centaurs (3 figures)
• Blue Banner Mounted Unit.
• Reflex Bow / Long Sword (melee only).
• Melee Prowess: In melee, Centaurs use Long Swords and can score a hit on a Sword on Shield symbol.
I love the Forest Trackers - one way or another there has to be a unit like this when the elves make their appearance in BattleLore. Perhaps some work to be done on the Enchantress, but no suggestions right now - I certainly like the idea, if not everything about the execution at present. I lied, maybe it is fine as is: anytime a unit with an Elf Enchantress embedded is attacked in melee and a lore result is rolled against it, all banner color results that would be hits are instead collected as lore by the attacking unit (still need to work on the language here - this would work for battle backs and attacks, unless that isn't the intention). Anyway, not sure if that is what you meant, but if it is, I think it would work fine. And if it isn't, probably fine too

The Centaurs are going to be rough, but that's probably intentional

You've seen me comment about the Elf long bows on the FFG forums, but I've got a suggestion this time - instead of blue, have them be green, but also work as the reflex bows, do - no penalty on the move. Not distinct enough from the Irregular Archers, but perhaps both are not necessary. Maybe cut their numbers to three if you want to keep them blue.
Regardless, I am still waiting around to see what FFG does with this game before going whole hog on additional races and units. Richard Borg already has 6-7 (or more...) distinct races in the game, but the way I interpret the indications, those will not be appearing from the production of FFG. If that is the case, and if the rules for Richard Borg's armies aren't released in some other fashion, that's when I will be very interested in coming up with fan created customs. Still much, much prefer official releases that players can more easily agree upon.

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

You know I like them. How about those Undead?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:35 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I am resurrecting some custom BattleLore unit ideas, with perhaps a few twists.

Greenwood Elves
All Greenwood Elf Units have the following power:
Forest Born: When in a Wooded Terrain Hex, a Greenwood Elf Foot Unit ignores movement and combat restrictions, and is considered to have one point of support.

Greenwood Elf Irregular Archers (4 figures)
• Long Bow.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Archers (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Longbow.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Reflex Bows (4 figures)
• Reflex Bow.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Forest Trackers (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit: May move 2 and still battle.
• Reflex Bow.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Irregular Infantry (4 figures)
• Short Sword.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Regular Infantry (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Short Sword.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Elite Infantry (4 figures)
• Red Banner Foot Unit.
• Short Sword.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Enchantress (1 figure)
• N/A; embedded only in a foot unit; does not count toward the number of hits that unit can take. The Enchantress is removed when the banner bearer of the unit she is in is killed.
• Beguiling: The Enchantress' unit may ignore one banner color hit for each Lore symbol the attacking unit rolls. The attacking unit may in this case collect a Lore token for each ignored hit as well as for each Lore symbol rolled, as usual. If the attacking unit has a power activated by Lore symbols rolled during an attack, that unit may count both the Lore symbol rolled and the ignored banner as Lore symbols.

Greenwood Elf Irregular Cavalry
• Green Banner Mounted Unit.
• Long Sword.
• Forest Born.

Greenwood Elf Regular Cavalry
• Spear.
• Forest Born.

Unicorns and Centaurs
Where would the Greenwood Elves be without their forest friends?

Unicorns (3 figures)
• Horn. SoS bonus hit: Yes.
• Mystic Dance: When a Unicorn unit retreats, for every 2 Lore spent the unit may retreat one additional space. If a Unicorn is moving through at least one additional space, it may move through, but not stop in, occupied hexes. Note that a Unicorn unit is considered a Hero-friendly Hex for a Mounted Hero or a Hero with the Horse Vaulter skill.
• When in a Wooded Terrain Hex, Unicorns ignore movement and combat restrictions.

Centaurs (3 figures)
• Reflex Bow.
• Charger: If a Centaur unit's entire movement is one Countryside Hexes, it may move one additional space.

Next time, I will post ideas about Saurians. Eventually, Undead!

Last edited by Taeblewalker; January 5th, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:40 PM

Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby!

Has anyone tried the Battlelore Second Edition that is currently available? Any opinions? I'm considering it, but wonder what you think?
We have the first and some expansions but eventually get bored with it.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:56 PM

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvano the Wasabus View Post
Has anyone tried the Battlelore Second Edition that is currently available? Any opinions? I'm considering it, but wonder what you think?
We have the first and some expansions but eventually get bored with it.
I haven't tried it but I'm not impressed by the changes as I understand them. I don't like the larger scale and I don't like limiting foot units to three figures.

And I don't see how anyone can get bored with BattleLore.

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:19 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Curse Battle Lore Second Edition and Fantasy Flight down to the last generation, for ruining The Sacred Borgness of Battle Lore before we got half of what he has created for it! This, plus Hasbro's lack of follow up on Battle Cry, (but we know about Hasbro, don't we, Scapers) is the downside of his publishing his games with different companies. I had even bought FFG's Battles of Westeros (and its one large and several small expansions) when most True Battle Lore Believers boycotted it for replacing the real thing with "A Battle Lore Game' imitation, totally abusing their license the first time.

Except for that...

Last edited by chas; August 21st, 2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old August 21st, 2017, 01:18 AM

Here are my Wretched Legion (mostly Undead) customs.

Wretched Legion

Irregular Skeleton Infantry (4 figures)
• Short Swords.
• BoldAll.

Regular Skeleton Infantry (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Short Swords.
• BoldAll.

Elite Skeleton Infantry (4 figures)
• Red Banner Foot Unit.
• Short Swords.
• BoldAll.

All Zombie Units have the following power:
Head Shot: Zombies always ignore the first SoS hit from any source. Zombies always ignore the first banner color hit at range.

Fast Zombies (4 figures)
• Fists.
• BoldAll.
• Head Shot.

Average Zombies (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Fists.
• BoldAll.
• Head Shot.

Tough Zombies (4 figures)
• Red Banner Foot Unit.
• Fists.
• BoldAll.
• Head Shot.

Witches
• Wands. Range 2. Hit on Lore and Banner Color.
• Fly: May move over other units. May move three and still battle.
• Hex: When attacking an adjacent unit, you may spend two Lore to prevent the unit from battling back.

Reaper (1 figure)
• N/A; embedded only in a foot unit; replaces one figure in the unit and adds 1D. The Reaper is removed when the banner bearer of the unit it is in is killed.
• Reaping: When the Reaper’s unit is weakened and it destroys a figure it may spend two Lore to restore one figure to its own unit. It may only restore one figure per turn, regardless of how many figures it destroys.

Last edited by Taeblewalker; January 5th, 2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old August 21st, 2017, 01:20 AM

Here are my Saurians.

Saurians
All Saurian Foot Units have the following ability:
Marsh Walk: When in a Marsh Terrain Hex, passable Waterway Hex or Ford, Saurian Foot Units ignore movement and combat restrictions. Green Banner Saurian Foot Units with Marsh Walk may enter impassable Waterways, but they must end their movement in the hex. Battling into or out of an Impassable Waterway Hex is at 2D max.

Green Irregular Saurian Infantry (4 figures)
• Short Sword.
• Marsh Walk.

Blue Saurian Infantry (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Short Sword.
• Marsh Walk.

Red Heavy Saurian Infantry (4 figures)
• Red Banner Foot Unit.
• Short Sword.
• Marsh Walk.

Green Saurian Crossbows (4 figures)
• Crossbow.
• Marsh Walk.

Blue Saurian Halberds (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Halberd. Bonus Strike: Yes, and the first SoS symbol is not ignored, even against mounted units. Plus 1D when battling back.
• Marsh Walk.

Blue Saurian Trident Bearers (4 figures)
• Blue Banner Foot Unit.
• Trident. Bonus Strike: Yes. Skewer: When the defending unit is forced to retreat, roll one additional die and score an additional hit on a banner color or SoS.
• Marsh Walk.

Needletooth Swarm (2 figures)
• Teeth. Bonus Strike: No.
• Light-footed: A Needletooth Swarm may move 3 and still battle.
• Swarm: Any number of Needletooth Swarm Units may combine their attack dice when attacking a unit to which they are all adjacent. All participating units must be ordered normally this turn. Choose one unit to be the primary attacking unit; this is the only one that suffers any effects if the defending unit battles back.
• Strike Terror: Units that are forced to retreat from a Needletooth Swarm are considered panicked, even if they are normally Bold.

Rhinosaur Riders (3 figures)
• Spear. Bonus Strike: Yes. Plus 1D when battling back
• Strength of the Herd: A Rhinosaur unit provides two points of support to a friendly adjacent Rhinosaur unit.
• Ornery Charge: A Rhinosaur that performs a Pursuit Action may not reenter the space it started the turn in before Gaining Ground.

Therapod Riders (3 figures)
• Green Banner Mounted Unit.
• Halberd. Bonus Strike: Yes. Plus 1D when battling back.
• Cavalry Cutters: Roll +1D against Mounted units.

Pteranodon Rider (1 figure)
• Green Banner Creature. Move 2 (4 Flying). Killed by a critical hit. Bold but must (not may) ignore one flag.
• Crossbow. Range 3. Bonus Strike: Yes, except at point blank.
• Flyover (1 Lore): May play 1 Lore to fly over enemy units. Roll two dice for each affected unit. Hits are scored on banner colors and Bonus Strike.

Last edited by Taeblewalker; November 22nd, 2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old August 21st, 2017, 04:58 AM

Go TW!
Old January 30th, 2021, 10:30 PM

Any people out there still playing BattleLore first edition?

Old February 9th, 2021, 04:08 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

I want to start again, was eyeballing it the other day. I have a lot of it.
Old February 9th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I think it's a shelf toad somewhere in my house. Own it; it looks cool; never played it. It's just on a shelf, looking down at me disapprovingly.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games