Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old March 27th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Pillars of Eternity (PC)

Loving it so far. Anyone who spent a significant amount of time enjoying Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment owes it to themselves to check this out.

They've addressed some of the more interesting "problems" that CRPGs have had in the past. For example, encounter experience. Instead of earning experience for defeating foes, experience is earned for filling up the bestiary entries. Once the entry is full, no more experience from that type of foe. It makes good intuitive sense not to allow a 10th level Paladin to farm rats for experience. At the same time though, you can get experience for weaker foes you simply haven't faced often.

Also addressed is the strangeness of how health typically works in CRPGs. Here, there are separate health and endurance bars with endurance as the item that's depleted and restored during combat and between rest periods. All magical healing is focused on restoring endurance during combat. The much larger health value is also depleted when endurance goes, but for the most part it can only be restored by resting - which can only happen at an Inn or with camping supplies that are a limited carry item with the limit based on difficulty level.

New race types to play around with. Newish stat types (though they'll look pretty familiar) and new ways they work (e.g. Might determines magical as well as physical strength). Newish character classes, solving the old Ranger issue by using a spirit link to cause the Ranger and their animal companion to share health and endurance.

Really cool stuff!

~Aldin, enjoying it

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Pillars of Eternity (PC)

Thanks, Aldin! I'm between PC games at the moment and I *loved* Icewind Dale. This looks like it might be just the thing.

Is it a big world?

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:15 AM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Thanks, Aldin! I'm between PC games at the moment and I *loved* Icewind Dale. This looks like it might be just the thing.

Is it a big world?
It was released yesterday and I'm only a couple of hours into it (with at least an hour of that on character creation). It feels like the world is big, but the early areas are very manageable. After leaving the starting areas, I was presented with an overworld map reminiscent of Baldur's Gate that has enough scope to it to feel like there must be dozens of hours of adventuring ahead of me. It's also one of those games that feels like it's got a lot of different ways to do things - which means that I'm almost certainly going to be replaying with some other character concepts if the whole thing holds up as well as the early experience seems to indicate.

Here's a quick set of character impressions:
Ranger: Picked it. I've always enjoyed Ranger classes. Like I mentioned earlier, companion and Ranger share health/endurance - which is sooooo cool!
Paladin: These guys are devoted to a cause and through their will their faith in the cause has varying effects depending on the cause. They can kinda be the classic do-gooder types, but have way more variety.
Cipher: Cool new mentalist-style class. This is one of the two classes beside Ranger that I wanted to go with. Lots of buff/debuff stuff and mentalist hijinks.
Chanter: A fresh take on the Bard with the ability to set up linked phrases for varying effects and interrupt them for invocations - powerful magical utterances which can only be used rarely. This is the other class I really want to try.
Monks: These guys terrify me. PoE monks absorb damage as wounds and then use the wounds to power attacks. Hard for me to wrap my head around.
Barbarians/Fighters/Druids/Wizards/Priests/Rogues: Pretty typical. You'll intuitively understand how these guys work for the most part. All Druids are shifters.

So, yeah, need to play more!

~Aldin, excitedly

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:29 AM

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Does the way Might works make it possible for a magic user to carry around all the stuff he finds? Unlike in virtually every other RPG, ever?

= =
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I like the experience work around. I would have to try the health tweak to decide if I like that one. Generally I do not like the 'forced to rest' mechanic.

Thanks for the review. Chanter sounds awesome!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:25 AM

So... no weight limits, I don't think, but a limited number of inventory slots. Small stuff like lockpicks stack, while big stuff like torches don't. I don't have the best feel for the way magic and combat work yet, but I can sketch it out:

There are a bunch of different damage types, both physical and non-physical and everyone has both a defense value against each type and a damage threshold against each type. There are modified by stats, abilities and protective gear. So say you get attacked with a slashing weapon and you have a slashing defense of 10 and a slashing damage threshold of 5. The defense helps you avoid the hit (there are crits, hits and glancing blows and I don't fully understand what each does yet), but assuming it hits, the damage threshold of 5 is subtracted from the damage done.

Might powers damage and intelligence powers range and duration for areas of effect. To see how weird that can be, consider the Barbarian. Barbie has an ability called Carnage that causes follow through damage to enemies in range after a successful attack. The amount of damage is might-based. The range in which the damage is caused is intelligence based. Chanter phrases linger - and the length of time they linger is intelligence based. So a smarter Chanter will be able to string together more simultaneous effects. I think.

As for forced to rest... there's an achievement for resting fewer than 10 times in a game, so I imagine that it's possible not to rest terribly often. In BG/ID it was common for some players to rest after every battle, breaking the flow of the game. I think they're trying for a middle ground where damage matters and long term effects need to be managed - but also where you can keep pushing through several encounters without stopping. The game does feature fatigue, which causes your abilities to deteriorate after long periods without rest or after exerting yourself, but it also provides an Athletics skill which slows the onset.

TAFN

~Aldin, enjoying the conversation

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That sounds like a happy medium on the 'rest' mechanic.
So your character is solo I take it, no party members?
That is a ton of classes for a single character game.

This sounds like one I would I like. I may have to check it out. I am planning on picking up a new PC when/if the new Kingdom Under Fire comes out.
Does it have strong hardware requirements?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 27th, 2015, 12:06 PM

So it is party based, though for the most part you can choose to solo if I understand correctly how it all works (you get some party members assigned during the very first part of the game, but my understanding is that you ultimately get to choose).

Spoiler Alert!

You control your character and you can find NPCs to recruit in various ways and there's also eventually some way to hire the exact party components you want.

I'm running a decentish system and it runs and looks great. Recommended tech specs are:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz or AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Video: AMD Radeon HD 7700 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Memory: 8 GB RAM
My system is just a bit better than that.

~Aldin, technically

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 27th, 2015, 01:08 PM

That setup sounds like Dragon Age, which I also liked.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games