Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G Project
C3G Project A Place to gather C3G threads without interfering with other Marvel Customs creation

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: C3G Discussion Thread (Comics Customs Creators Guild)

I felt it was time I made my presence known again. I was planning on walking around in tights just to draw attention but I felt that these Guild characters needed to know that they weren't the only pros in town.

I walked passed the alley where they were all crouching and whispering about their plans in the dark. Purposely allowing the dim street lamp to catch my profile, I stood in the open and lit a match. I wasn't planning on smoking up, that stuff will kill you eventually. I just wanted to draw their attention.

"Debating about symbols again." I stated more than asked.
"It's him again", one of them whispered.
I ignored him and continued.
"Symbols are bad news, I'm not a fan."
"Are you suggesting that we don't go with the wing?" one of them asked.
At first I didn't answer. I waited until the match died.
"I said they were bad news. What I didn't say, was that they might be necessary."
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

I am even more interested in how Necro or myself will feel if the entire group says yes to the idea.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

lol, so another vague stance, thank you, MattHelm. :P
As to Griffin's question, I think you, Griffin, would probably go along with it all right. Now Necro I'm not sure about ...

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

To translate my last note:

- I'd rather do everything possible to avoid the symbol.
- I'd even suggest that one of you grammar geniuses come up with a condensed, correct way of spelling out the flying power. I'm sure Hasbro has changed the wording on few things (didn't Flight become Flying... haven't I also seen the same ability described in two ways?)
- But I could live with the wing, if enough people wanted it, and we can find more examples than just Superman (as mentioned NM24 Supes made the grade without it) that would need it.
- If I did live with the wing, I'd almost have to say that it can't be on a card with the Super Strength symbol because the two side by side just looks ridiculous.
- But as I said, I can live with it as members like GreyOwl have created great cards with it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

But if it came to a vote, and you were a tie breaker, am I right to think you'd vote "no" MattHelm?

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Captain Underpants

I thought I felt the sweat drip down my brow when he asked the question. "If" there was tiebreaker. Now why would he want me to answer that prior to an actual tie unless he was trying to get me to tip my hand.

I raised my sleeve to wipe what I thought was sweat. Lucky me, I didn't even notice the bird over head but aparently he noticed me.

On a tiebreaker today... I would vote "No". I hate to waiver but my fellow Hero Support member Balantai makes one solid argument. Magneto may be an issue... give me some serious candidates and I may reconsider the position. And throw in some pork if you really want my vote. But keep the swine flu to yourself.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
For the Special Attack, from what I can tell, all official special attacks continually say 'Special Attack' after the name of the attack in the text.
I've always thought that was rather unnecessary. If you're already naming the ability, why do you have to say "Special Attack" after it? It's official, sure, but it's a waste of space, IMO. Whether PK adds it or not is OK with me.
I am shocked that you would have this double standard.
Ha! I knew that was going to find its way over here. That's how I create my customs, but when I'm trying to make them 'official', as we're doing here, I make changes. My NM24'd Rogue, for example, said "d20" instead of "the 20-sided die", another preference, but changed it when someone requested the card be more official.

So for the official C3G cards, I think it needs to be spelled out (though I also still believe Hasbro was wrong for doing so ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
All abilities are nothing more than "some additional rules associated with this guy".
I know, I was just saying I look at it differently is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Now, can we fit that on a card along with a Heat Vision power, flying spelled out, and some sort of power to make him last longer?
So the opposite of Quick Release, then?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM

*sigh* I knew there was going to be an ED joke, I just knew it.

Well, OK, that's not technically an ED joke, but it's in the same realm.

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

My opinion is that nothing is wrong with the flying symbol. With classic HS, there was no need because it wasn't as prevalent as it is with superheroes. When Marvelscape came out, they had to keep writing it out to maintain compatibility and consistency with what came before. But they did set a precedent with using a symbol for an ability that they foresaw as being very common. Like it or not, they did set the precedent. If you think that somehow Superstrength is not an ability (which I disagree with), then is it okay to use symbols for other things of that type, however you define it?

I also don't think the reason to use the flying symbol is only to save space so you can fit more powers. I have plenty of customs that use the flying symbol, but have only 1 or 2 other powers that don't come close to filling up all the space on the card. It's just a shorthand, since it's a very well-understood power. There's no need to write it or read it over and over again.

Part of the problem is that people tend to make assumptions about certain "rules" Hasbro/WOTC has about creating figures purely based on past data. Just because they have never done something before doesn't mean they're against it. One good example is if you look at one of the old HS Codexes, there's an article in there about creating the most "official" customs. One of the things it mentions is that figures should ALWAYS add or subtract from their own stats, but should NEVER have abilities that cause other figures to roll less dice. But then out comes Marvelscape, and Spider-Man's Spidey Sense violates that rule. Because it was never a rule for Hasbro/WOTC, it was just an assumption made by fans. Remember, we really have no idea what their rules are as far as creating figures. Before Marvelscape, you could easily have argued that no figure should have a symbol, or a subtitle, or every figure had to belong to one of the general's factions. Before Marvelscape and Swarm of the Marro, you could have argued that all official-looking cards had to look like one of the 5 standard templates. But then came the variations with vines, and the Marvel cards that were all different colors. You could have argued that all classic cards had to belong to one of the 5 generals, but then came Aquilla. Before the vampires came out, many people argued that you should NEVER have more than 3 abilities on a card, but then Hasbro released one with 4.

So what it comes down to, is how do you define "official"? Is it only mimicing things that have already been done, or is doing the kinds of things that have been done? It's a subtle difference, but if the answer is the second one, that means (just like Hasbro) you too can create a new general, decorate the card templates with vines or other things, start adding symbols or other pieces of information (subtitles) to a card, or remove pieces of information that you don't find relevant (factions), etc.

All that being said, I still wouldn't use a symbol for a power that only appears on one card, or two, or even 5. Maybe not even 10 or 20. But things like Flying and Superstrength are going to be on a lot more cards than that when dealing with superheroes. It may not be an exaggeration to say it is going to be on over 80% of cards. But when you have something that so completely permeates a certain genre, it only makes sense. For example, Necroblade uses a "force symbol" (sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you call it ) on his Star Wars customs. The idea of the force permeates that genre so much, it only makes sense. I don't personally use a force symbol on my Star Wars customs, but that's mainly because I didn't think of it in time. I thought his was a good idea when I saw it, but didn't want to copy it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh, on another topic...I completely missed the vote on the Superman image, but I wanted to add something. I think whenever possible we should try to avoid using the same picture as one already used on someone else's custom. The picture is the most noticeable part of the card and it would create confusion, I think.

So even though I didn't get to vote on the image, I like that picture but I didn't think we should use it because I'm pretty sure someone's custom is already using it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Well said, GreyOwl. Sounds like we have a hero and a sidekick pretty solidly on each side of the fence, with two heroes kind of in between, but probably leaning in opposite directions. Which means what Whitestuff, Garada, and Markb have to say should be pretty interesting. I have Garada pegged for a "no symbol" type of guy, though, after reading what he had to say about subtitles.

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM

I agree as for the art for the most part, GreyOwl. But since that image is used on both Griffin's and my Superman and we both OK'd it, I don't think we'll mind. And it just suits the World's Finest so well (same with the Batman, which has been used on cards as well). Beyond those two, though, which I like for special reasons, I very much support what you're saying as criteria for art.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G Project