Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old April 22nd, 2018, 11:32 AM

magiclantern is surprisingly tart
Guide for newbie

I'm looking to get into Heroscape and due to age of the game, it seems very difficult to get any master sets for a reasonable price.

C3V sounds great, but there's a zillion different posts here and I'm having trouble figuring out where to get started. Are there any newbie guide / start here posts that help someone get started with C3V or SoV?
Old April 22nd, 2018, 12:59 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Guide for newbie

Welcome to the site!

The Welcome to the C3V thread should be a good place to get acquainted with things around here.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 05:31 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As for getting into C3V stuff, that thread is certainly good and browsing the Books is good too.

As for getting 'Scape for reasonable prices, you're in the right place. The Sales and Trades section is the best place to buy HeroScape, and if you are patient you can rack up a fantastic collection for the lowest possible price (and get a good foundation for a very reasonable amount). I don't know how much you already have, but if you are looking for things as fundamental as a couple master sets, this is the only place I know of that people sell those for non-ridiculous prices.

Welcome aboard!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old April 22nd, 2018, 05:34 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I know @dok posted a starter guide at one point. Not sure where that is exactly though.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
I don't know how much you already have, but if you are looking for things as fundamental as a couple master sets, this is the only place I know of that people sell those for non-ridiculous prices.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks!

I actually have nothing so far other than an interest in getting into Heroscape and similar games.

I'll have to check out the sales and see if I can find enough to start
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Welcome to the site!

The Welcome to the C3V thread should be a good place to get acquainted with things around here.
Thanks - so many posts its hard to find the right one that has all the info.

Has the C3V group released any scenarios along with the books/figure recommendations? I'm not seeing any or am searching for the wrong terms.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:21 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I know @dok posted a starter guide at one point. Not sure where that is exactly though.
Here it is; bear in mind this is over 5 years old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
My stock advice follows. Skip the stuff you already have.

In order from high priority to low:
1) Buy 1 Marvel Set, 1 D&D set, 1 Swarm of the Marro set, and 1 Fortress of the Archkyrie Set. All of these can still be found at or below retail price from numerous vendors. You can get all four for under $100 total on Amazon. That will give you enough terrain to build plenty of good maps, plus enough figures to play home games.

2) Go to Auggies Games and buy singles of the Rise of the Valkyrie uniques. The RotV set is very expensive, but you only need 1 each of the figures, and they aren't very expensive at all.

While you're there, buy a Fen Hydra or two, a couple extra squads of Marrden Nagrubs, and four or five extra squads of Marro Stingers. Dirt cheap and well worth it. At this point you have enough figures to field highly competitive armies in any setting.

3) Next up would be every widely available unique/uncommon pack - that's (in order of how much I'd want them) D2, wave 1, D3, D1, the D3 uncommon pack, the elves, and the wave 8 uniques. As you can see, all of those are very affordable. I'd also consider adding Orm's Return for some extra large figure goodies.

4) After that it's just a question of which common squads/packs you want to bulk up on. I highly recommend adding a few packs of Warriors and Soulborgs. Romans, Phantom Knights, Greenscale Warriors, Goblins, Deathchasers, Warforged, Mezzodemons, Horned Skull Brutes, and Blade Gruts are all popular and available choices. Even if you don't buy the packs, though, it's worth going over to Auggie's and buying one of some of the included uncommons.
So, there you go - a fun, varied, competitive Heroscape collection for well under $200. Enjoy!
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiclantern View Post
Has the C3V group released any scenarios along with the books/figure recommendations? I'm not seeing any or am searching for the wrong terms.
Sorry, we've never worked on any scenarios - our focus is on designing customs.

The advice dok offers above is good, but I would strongly suggest that you start with the core Rise of the Valkyrie set if at all possible. It includes plenty of variety and the most terrain of any of the sets. I don't know how much it sells for nowadays (I sold one to a fellow 'Scaper just a few years ago for the original price of $40), but even at $60-80 it's a good value.

Heck, since you're in Denver maybe dok can sell you some of his excess 'Scape.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

[indent]1) Buy 1 Marvel Set, 1 D&D set, 1 Swarm of the Marro set, and 1 Fortress of the Archkyrie Set. All of these can still be found at or below retail price from numerous vendors. You can get all four for under $100 total on Amazon. That will give you enough terrain to build plenty of good maps, plus enough figures to play home games.

Thanks for the recommendation and reposting your old post here. Looks like everything has gotten much more rare over the last few years. Most of the sets you mention are in the range of $200 - $300 on Amazon now. As suggested earlier I'll have to try and watch for sales on eBay or heroscapers to get started.

Alternatively, I'm thinking about trying to print some of the terrain using a 3d printer, but will have to see how that works out in terms of cost.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:36 PM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

1) Buy 1 Marvel Set, 1 D&D set, 1 Swarm of the Marro set, and 1 Fortress of the Archkyrie Set. All of these can still be found at or below retail price from numerous vendors. You can get all four for under $100 total on Amazon. That will give you enough terrain to build plenty of good maps, plus enough figures to play home games.

2) Go to Auggies Games and buy singles of the Rise of the Valkyrie uniques. The RotV set is very expensive, but you only need 1 each of the figures, and they aren't very expensive at all.

While you're there, buy a Fen Hydra or two, a couple extra squads of Marrden Nagrubs, and four or five extra squads of Marro Stingers. Dirt cheap and well worth it. At this point you have enough figures to field highly competitive armies in any setting.

3) Next up would be every widely available unique/uncommon pack - that's (in order of how much I'd want them) D2, wave 1, D3, D1, the D3 uncommon pack, the elves, and the wave 8 uniques. As you can see, all of those are very affordable. I'd also consider adding Orm's Return for some extra large figure goodies.

4) After that it's just a question of which common squads/packs you want to bulk up on. I highly recommend adding a few packs of Warriors and Soulborgs. Romans, Phantom Knights, Greenscale Warriors, Goblins, Deathchasers, Warforged, Mezzodemons, Horned Skull Brutes, and Blade Gruts are all popular and available choices. Even if you don't buy the packs, though, it's worth going over to Auggie's and buying one of some of the included uncommons.
So, there you go - a fun, varied, competitive Heroscape collection for well under $200. Enjoy!
I do my heroscape buying on allthingsheroscape.com and sometimes I use amazon.com to make heroscape purchases.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:54 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

After buying a master set, be sure to buy some type of terrain expansion. The Fortress Set is probably the most affordable of them all. This will help your battlefields pop by adding in LOS blocking features.

Good luck! Miniatures for both official and customs are pretty expensive these days, so just hope for the best.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 08:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Do not spend $200 - 300 on an RotV Master Set. Watch the sales & trades subforum here, and you'll find one, and other goodies, at a reasonable price.

It's a great game. There really is no substitute, and you'll find your way in.

As for the C3V and SoV customs, I know it's intimidating. Just ask your particular questions here, and we'll help you as best we can. Or, come to think of it, [edit incoming] you can ask all your C3V/SoV questions here.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs