Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old April 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Soon to be Mrs. Tony Stark

DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
So we're reading the book Night in English class, and 20 pages in, one person asks "Is this book about the Holocaust?"

*facepalm*

Goddess I hope that is High School, or even Middle School, and not College. Please, save my sanity.

[And DeceitfulBeauty finally beat NecroBlade at Heroscape. With Iron Man.]
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
So we're reading the book Night in English class, and 20 pages in, one person asks "Is this book about the Holocaust?"

*facepalm*
...well, is it?
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceitfulBeauty View Post
Quote:

*facepalm*
Goddess I hope that is High School, or even Middle School, and not College. Please, save my sanity.
High School. And that was after a week of background information on the Holocaust too. >_>

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Finished Stephen King's The Shining a couple of days back.
I had read it as a teenager, but at this stage in my life with a wife, kids, professional career, alcohol(though not alcoholic!), the story resonated better for me.

The hedge animals were much more exciting this time around too.
The Shining is one of my favorite King stories. I think he does short stories a lot better than novels, but there isn't any extra added in to the book.
I've read the opinion about King's shorter works frequently from other Scapers. But I have to be honest, I read IT last year and it was one of my favorite books.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Quote:
Finished Stephen King's The Shining a couple of days back.
I had read it as a teenager, but at this stage in my life with a wife, kids, professional career, alcohol(though not alcoholic!), the story resonated better for me.

The hedge animals were much more exciting this time around too.
The Shining is one of my favorite King stories. I think he does short stories a lot better than novels, but there isn't any extra added in to the book.
I've read the opinion about King's shorter works frequently from other Scapers. But I have to be honest, I read IT last year and it was one of my favorite books.
I forgot about IT! I have two very well worn copies of the book on my bookshelf and have always lost myself in that story.

DWARVES!
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

I just finished "Free Fire" by C.J. Box, a mystery featuring a Wyoming game warden as the hero.

There was an interesting bit of legal trivia that formed the premise of the novel, but is true in real life as well. Apparently, there is an area of Yellowstone National Park that is truly lawless - the "Zone of Death". The reasons are fairly complicated, but the gist is as follows:
* Yellowstone is mostly in Wyoming, but small portions extend into Idaho and Montana
* When Yellowstone was established, it was placed entirely in the Wyoming judicial district
* The Constitution requires that an accused criminal be tried in the state and judicial district where he/she commited the crime. If the crime was committed in the Idaho portion of Yellowstone, this means the trial would have to occur in the state of Idaho and the Wyoming district. The only place this can occur is in that small part of Yellowstone.
* The population of the Idaho portion of Yellowstone is ZERO, so there is no way that a jury could be empaneled.

In the novel, a man used this legal loophole to commit the perfect crime and he (initially) gets away with murder. In real life, the loophole has only been tested once in a poaching case, but that case was eventually settled with a plea bargain (http://www.casperstartribune.net/art...4200604516.txt).

So if you have anyone you want to get rid of, maybe you should suggest a nice vacation to Yellowstone.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys on March 19th
Finally onto the 4th and final book of the Riftwar Series by Ramond E Feist.

A Darkness at Sethanon
Wow, it normally doesn't take me this long to get through a book, but I'm still reading this one.

-insert signature here-
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Just started Small Favor by Jim Butcher.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Enjoy!

I'm reading The Unnatural Inquirer by Simon Green, its the 8th book of a series called The Nightside.
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Prequel to the movie coming out in a couple weeks.

-insert signature here-
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Enjoy!

I'm reading The Unnatural Inquirer by Simon Green, its the 8th book of a series called The Nightside.

Since you are on the 8th book, I take it that this is a good series. I might have to check it out.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just started "Sunset and Sawdust" by Joe R. Lansdale.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books