Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old April 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Jim Butcher - Amazing Author - Dresden Files, Codex Aler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
I finished Academ's Fury, and am now halfway through Cursor's Fury. Necro is correct, they only get better and better. I'm already anxious because I don't have Captain's Fury waiting for me. I have to go find it!

Necro is correct?

"Daggggg........Nether, Keglo called you Necro"

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Necro is correct?

Uhhh.....No I didn't....

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Necro is correct?

Uhhh.....No I didn't....

Oh you can run, but you can't hide from those who inhabit the Nether Regions.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

I finally finished Small Favor last night. I've had a LOT going on. And besides I got to enjoy the book for about 2 months longer than you shmoes who read it in one night, so hah!

If a character could suffer a fate worse than death, one of them might have in this book. I certainly hope there isn't a "miracle" recovery. It would cheapen the impact.

Butcher has created a super supporting cast for Dresden and we saw most of them in this book. At this point I think its about time for a major supporting character to bite the big one, for good, forever, in a dead dead dead sort of way. I think I would be disappointed if it didn't happen in the next book. Murphy, Mike, Molly, Charity, Billy, Thomas, maybe even Kincaid, Luccio or Marcone would qualify. Although I doubt the last three would have the same impact on the reader.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Just three weeks (21 days) until Turn Coat is released.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Turn Coat was great.
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation

I agree, I finished that about a week ago and I finally finished the Alera series for what has been released so far. Definately outstanding reads.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

I just finished Turn Coat and loved it. I was a little disappointed with one of the major plot points (see spoilers below), but the book as a whole was excellent. In the last 2 books there has really been a lot of character development. While the early novels had continuing storylines, they were largely self-contained. In the last few, not only have we seen more of an ongoing story (the Black Council), but we've seen characters grow and change (sometimes for the better, sometimes . . . not). Just in the last 2 novels, Michael, Luccio, Morgan, Billy & the Werewolves, Thomas, and even Toot-Toot have all had development that will carry on into future books. This series is just getting better and better.

Spoiler Alert!
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

I just finished Captain's fury and Princeps Fury of the Alera series and they were amazing. I had to read Princeps Fury right after reading Captain's Fury because i had to know more of the story. I can't wait for the next one! I am very impressed with Butcher's books...they are awesome.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

OK for those fans of Dresden out there, I tracked down some anthologies from my local library that have short stories written by Butcher. Most of them take place just before Turn Coat.

They are all fun reads, and they add more flavor to Dresden and his friends...

Go to your local library and track them down....

• "Something Borrowed" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (October 3, 2006, ISBN 0-312-34360-4
• "It's My Birthday, Too" (short story), published in Many Bloody Returns (September 4, 2007, ISBN 978-0-441-01522-1)
• "Heorot" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (December 26, 2007, ISBN 978-0312375041)
• "Harry's Day Off" (short story), published in Blood Lite (October 21, 2008, ISBN 1-4165-6783-6)
• "The Warrior" (short story), published in Mean Streets (January 6, 2009, ISBN 978-0451462497)
• "Last Call", published in Strange Brew (July 7, 2009, ISBN 978-0312383367)

-ZB, who cannot wait Until April and the new Dresden release...Changes

C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
OK for those fans of Dresden out there, I tracked down some anthologies from my local library that have short stories written by Butcher. Most of them take place just before Turn Coat.

• "Something Borrowed" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (October 3, 2006, ISBN 0-312-34360-4
• "It's My Birthday, Too" (short story), published in Many Bloody Returns (September 4, 2007, ISBN 978-0-441-01522-1)
• "Heorot" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (December 26, 2007, ISBN 978-0312375041)
• "Harry's Day Off" (short story), published in Blood Lite (October 21, 2008, ISBN 1-4165-6783-6)
• "The Warrior" (short story), published in Mean Streets (January 6, 2009, ISBN 978-0451462497)

I've read most of these and for the most part they are good but not great (in my opinion, of course). What I do like is that Butcher uses these short stories flesh to out some of the other Dresdenverse characters; for example, "The Warrior" is largely about the Carpenter family. The one story that I think is by far the best of the bunch is "Harry's Day Off". The idea is very simple - Harry wants to take one day off for a date; of course, everything that can go wrong doees - it is laugh-out-loud funny.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Tiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post

I've read most of these and for the most part they are good but not great (in my opinion, of course). What I do like is that Butcher uses these short stories flesh to out some of the other Dresdenverse characters; for example, "The Warrior" is largely about the Carpenter family. The one story that I think is by far the best of the bunch is "Harry's Day Off". The idea is very simple - Harry wants to take one day off for a date; of course, everything that can go wrong doees - it is laugh-out-loud funny.
I agree, "Harry's Day Off" was the best...I could not beleive how funny that story was. Butcher has great comedic timing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books