Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:44 AM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker
Bacchus' Maps & Scenarios

Hi,

I'd love to get some feedback on my maps or troubleshooting any issues I'm having with them.

Ruined Outpost
Uses : 3 RotV, 1 RtFF, 1 FotA, 1 TT (build not optimised so can probably use less RotV)

This was designed as a 3 player map, but I've made 2 and 4 player scenarios. The only one tested is the 4 player scenario.

3 Player - Objective is to get 5 Victory Points. To get a victory point, at the end of the round you need to be the only player who has at least one unit on the castle walks. If there is more than one player who has figures on the castle walks, no one earns any Victory Points.

2 Player - Player 2 can start in any of the outside zones. Equal starting points, but Player 2 has access to Glyphs of Valda, Gerda and Dagmar outside the castle walls in locations out of line of sight of the castle. Kill 'em all battle.

4 Player - This one needs some tweaking after some playtesting. Player 1 had 1000 Points, and the other 3 players had 250 each. The higher point value for Player 1 was to offset the fact that the opponents would be revealing 3 order markers to his one. Initially was going to give him 2 places in the initiative queue so he took two turns until we set up and saw the intimidating army in the middle, so dropped it down to the regular single turn. It seemed like he was going to clean up early, but then he slowly lost to attrition.

I think in general the trees didn't provide enough blocking of LOS for the approaching army so they might need to be tweaked about.

Any thoughts appreciated, I've got another map I'm trying to tweak which i will try and post tomorrow.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:56 AM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker
Re: Bacchus' Maps & Scenarios

Unnamed
Uses : 3 RotV, 1 Thaelenk Tundra, 2 RtFF
3 Players

This is the original version that I've tested;

The lava tiles were originally intended to be used a 3 way capture the flag, but think it might be better as free for all or attack left. After testing, I thought it might be better to open up the middle and throw in a glyph to make things more interesting. Here is what I've come up with so far;

All the green is a bit bland, and I'm not sure whether to just swap out the tiles, or build some extra height in a few places. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

Nice maps! Unfortunately, I can't build any of them (I have only 1 RotV) but they look pretty nice. Three player maps are always in somewhat short supply on the site.

Keep it up!

Despite their blandness, I've always liked the look and feel of a large stretch of grass.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM

Thanks. I think they still need some work but they are playable and we had fun. After the set up time required I think I will try some maps that have lower build requirements, and maybe do some freebuilding.
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:02 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I often find myself playing in 3 person games, next time I do I'll keep this thread in mind. That triangle map looks like it would be a lot of fun to play on. Do you plan on posting the build directions at some point?
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:27 AM

I feel that it isn't quite finished and was going to update it after getting some feedback, and then post it. The build is also not optimised, so it's possible it could be built with 2 RotV (with some form of replacement for the 3rd set of ruins). If I can do that so it is usable by more people, then I will do that.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:34 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I only have 2 sets of ruins myself. A tweak that eliminated one set might be a good place to start. I do have plenty of other tiles though, just the ruins themselves are a limiting factor. You could maybe create some 'walls' with the trees by placing a few in a row, or double the number of TT sets and use the additional ice rocks to create new 'walls' along the sides.
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:03 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

+Rep for the concept! I don't usually do 3-ways, but I was inspired to throw this together, listing all the borrowed concepts:

Menage a Trois

Grass 24-hexers Start Zones

There is Ice and Snow.

Confrontation Walls, Ruins, and Evergreens replace Glaciers.

Added Jungle and Water

Still has a raised area

Road Stairway to Level 3

So, Bacchus, thank you! My effort is crude compared to yours, but my creativity meter has been a bit low lately, and this has helped a lot. Your map space is huge compared to my little card table, so some of your ideas are a little compressed. Also I have certain terrain restrictions. Hope you treat this as an homage, rather than a hijacking . . .

Last edited by kolakoski; January 18th, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:11 AM

That's really flattering actually. I suspect the start areas of my map could be trimmed down a bit too to save on space/tiles and get into the action faster.

One of the elements of my design was to try and keep the central area shielded from most units that would be 'outside' the central area (I might even beef the walls up a level or 2 if tiles permit), but what you have looks pretty cool! I really need to start adding Water to my maps and use it in a tactical way.
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I only have 2 sets of ruins myself. A tweak that eliminated one set might be a good place to start. I do have plenty of other tiles though, just the ruins themselves are a limiting factor. You could maybe create some 'walls' with the trees by placing a few in a row, or double the number of TT sets and use the additional ice rocks to create new 'walls' along the sides.
I will try and bring this map down to 2 RotV, and I was trying to keep it at 1 RtFF and 1 TT, but after the first playtest and adjustments, the 4 hex tree just didn't seem to fit so I had to use a 6th tree to keep the symmetry. I will sit down with the build and see what tiles I can cut to get it down to 2 RotV, and I might have a look at some variants. I.e Use the other trees instead of the 3rd set of ruins. I will let you know when I've adjusted it.
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Have a new map that is a work in progress. I tried to go for a theme this time. I thought it would be cool to have some warrens for the Narrgrubs to crawl through, wondered what expansion might work well with, and came up with Narrgrub Steam Vent.

The tunnel has a height of 3 so the Narrgrubs can get through... as well rats unfortunately which might break the map but I'm not going for tournament quality. There is a 24 hex tile that can be lifted to access units in the tunnel.

I've got some tiles left, so any suggestions for where any extra height or movement of tiles for better pathing will be appreciated. I've tried to place the glyphs where they should be equal distance for most units of the same move, let me know if there are any issues.

Narrgrub Steam Vent
Uses : 2 Swarm of the Marro, 1 Volcarren Wasteland

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:42 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
That's really flattering actually. I suspect the start areas of my map could be trimmed down a bit too to save on space/tiles and get into the action faster.

One of the elements of my design was to try and keep the central area shielded from most units that would be 'outside' the central area (I might even beef the walls up a level or 2 if tiles permit), but what you have looks pretty cool! I really need to start adding Water to my maps and use it in a tactical way.
Well met!

Another Sky Mat free build, using Ice and Snow, and your central, isolated trail upwards, as inspiration.

The Icy Trail

Boosted color makes everything on the left look blue . . .

. . . but here you can see the green of Swamp Water and the black of Shadow

Only 4 Sky hexes (purple), 2 of which are visible here

View from Start Zone (Sand)

Sky hex looks purple on far right

Confrontation Walls look good on raised Rock

The Icy Trail

Views from the outside walkway

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios