Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old August 31st, 2016, 10:36 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Mid-Atlantic Regional 'Scapers (MARS) Event Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
I follow along, as well, but Jersey is way too far away for me.
Thanks for chiming in, it helps us gage the level of interest. It would be great to see you and game with you again, but I've been to MD enough times to know just how "too far away" it really is (~~lol~~)

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old September 17th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

November 5th in Savage, fellas.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
November 5th in Savage, fellas.
Oops! I had to move it to November 19. It was unavoidable, I just hope it helps more people than it hurts.

= =
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:05 PM

@Man_At_Arms -
Hi Chuck, I think it would be better to continue this conversation on this thread, so as not to cause confusion on D_S's November 19th, 2016 Savage, MD Event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_At_Arms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Here's a "pretty vanilla" FORMAT SUGGESTION for you: Each player must have a 30 figure army totaling no more than 1,490 points. That way everyone that owns a Rise Of The Valkyrie Master Set can bring it and be ready to participate. Use partial card scoring to determine the winner of each 60 minute game. Every figure that is "killed" (eliminated) during a battle is permanently removed from that army and no longer available for the rest of the tournament. In the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th games every player will have to utilize only the units and figures that survived the previous battles, including partial squads, although I think that wounded heroes should be able to regenerate back to full health during the 15 minute breaks between games. Only players whose armies have been completely wiped out will be given an opportunity to reconstitute their entire army to have a second chance at a victory against better players that would now be handicapped by having to use their probably damaged, if not partially decimated armies (i.e. less than the full 1,490 points).
I love this concept! Let's work on some clarifications and try to make it as concise as possible. I also like the concept of armies gaining experience for participating in early battles (likely uniques only). Let's do this 10/15.
<~snip~>
Chuck
Hey Chuck ~
These ideas have been rolling around in my head for a long time and I'd love to "Brain Storm" with you to refine them and write them up as concisely as possible, but let's move this discussion over to the M.A.R.S. thread so as not to clog up this one with too much banter. I only posted it here to taunt Daddy_Scaper because he asked for suggestions. He knows that I <3 him and would be there if I could, whatever the format might be.
I've seen young played get frustrated and cry after suffering their 3rd or 4th defeat and have for a long time been thinking about a way to "handicap" the better players in the final rounds to give the lesser skilled players a Second Chance at pulling off a win. I'd hate to see a Noobee quit this fantastic hobby because of one bad Tournament experience.
<~snip~>
This first part . . .
Quote:
Each player must have a 30 figure army totaling no more than 1,490 points. That way everyone that owns a Rise Of The Valkyrie Master Set can bring it and be ready to participate.
. . . I said kind of tongue-in-cheek, hinting at the fact that not everyone has a complete or semi "large" collection of figures. Even now, some players are brand new to this hobby and are just beginning to accumulate units. I was actually thinking of each player bringing THREE separate distinct Armies of 400 points each, thus totaling 1,200 points worth of figures. Anyone with a RotV Master Set can do this by buying, borrowing or proxying a 10 pt. Isamu into the above list.

But my intentions are: #1. to avoid playing "Squad-Scape," #2. to avoid the same old "A+ Units" dominating the battlefields, and #3. to encourage more variety of characters seeing action. The LINY group tried some event where only Less Than B+ rated units were allowed and I thought it was less than convenient to research those stats. I'm considering declaring ALL UNITS as "unique." Therefore every one can bring any unit, but only ONE (1) card of that unit. Absolutely no duplicates of common squads or common and uncommon heroes. This would require each of those three 400 point Armies to be completely different from one another.
Quote:
Use partial card scoring to determine the winner of each 60 minute game. Every figure that is "killed" (eliminated) during a battle is permanently removed from that army and no longer available for the rest of the tournament. In the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th games every player will have to utilize only the units and figures that survived the previous battles, including partial squads, although I think that wounded heroes should be able to regenerate back to full health during the 15 minute breaks between games.
I've always liked the Partial Card Scoring mechanic better than Full Card Scoring. My plan here is to give each player a paper bag and write on them "DEAD GUYS" or "GRAVEYARD." As stated above every FIGURE (hero or squaddie) that is killed is permanently removed from the event. I would like to leave the wounds on the heroes as a handicapping device, but I feel that it would be too cumbersome to keep track of and susceptible to cheating as wound markers could fall off while moving from table to table.
Quote:
Only players whose armies have been completely wiped out will be given an opportunity to reconstitute their entire army to have a second chance at a victory against better players that would now be handicapped by having to use their probably damaged, if not partially decimated armies (i.e. less than the full 1,490 points).
This is the substance of what I would like to accomplish. Everyone starts with three 500 point armies and can play the first three games at full strength with one of those 500 pt. armies. But in fourth and fifth games, if the player has been on a winning streak, they should be able to pull together at least 500 points worth of survivors even though they are only partial squads (i.e. 3 of 4 10th Reg., + 2 of 4 Knights, + 1 of 4 4th Mass, + 2 of 3 Stingers, + 1 of 3 Izumi Samurai, + 1 of 3 Krav Agents = 201 points on six cards plus what ever heroes are remaining). These are viable, but unwieldy armies. This will be the handicap for the better players.

Meanwhile if a participant has lost two out of three or all three games (or even if they've narrowly won two or three games), as long as they can do not have 400 points worth of surviving units, only then can they resurrect any units from their "Graveyard" bag of dead guys to reconstitute another 400 point army to continue playing in the final rounds.

I hope this make sense. We can tweak in in so many ways.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 29th, 2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added additional thoughts rather than double post
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:59 PM

9BelowMadness is surprisingly tart

Interesting format @Johngee . Would like to see it in action.
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9BelowMadness View Post
Interesting format @Johngee. Would like to see it in action.
Thnaks. It is a work in progress and needs to be massaged. I doubt it will happen this month, but maybe we can pull it off in the not too distant future.

Old September 29th, 2016, 09:53 PM

Jet knows what's in an order marker Jet knows what's in an order marker

Hey my name is Eric and I just moved to northern Virginia. None of my friends play Heroscape here so I'd be totally interested in coming up to NJ or even PA. I just rediscovered my collection after getting rid of my storage container.

Last edited by Jet; September 29th, 2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Hey my name is Eric and I just moved to northern Virginia. None of my friends play Heroscape here so I'd be totally interested in coming up to NJ or even PA. I just rediscovered my collection after getting rid of my storage container.
Welcome back! It looks like you saw the thread for Dad_Scaper's event on November 19. You should definitely try to make it. There is always a decent turnout, and he runs an excellent low stress tournament. It should be lots of fun.
Old October 6th, 2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_At_Arms
How much space will we have for Scape? I was thinking about refreshing the thread to advertise the event. It may not be a bad commute for New Yorkers or even those from Long Island. Let me know your thoughts. Even if we got one more commit that would round us to 6.
Chuck
That's a GREAT IDEA Chuck;

I'm sorry that I've been so pessimistic the past two weeks. I didn't want to be disappointed again after putting in a lot of work the past two events and getting very little response.

But now it looks like there will be at least FOUR of us, maybe 5 or 6, wanting to play some HeroScape ALL day. So I guess it looks like we're a *GO* for Saturday, October 15, 2016 at Park Church, in Tinton Falls, NJ and I will plan on it. Do you want to refresh the Hamilton Event thread with new information or start a totally new one to possibly gain a bigger audience?

For the FORMAT: Forget the "graveyard" thing I was blathering about above. Let's keep it simple. I like the traditional "Kill them all" with partial card scoring with *NO* Marvel, C3G, HoSS, HoME, or personal customes allowed. But ALL C3V units that have been 'semi-officially' approved and published on this HeroScapeRs site will be accepted.

I've been thinking that each player should bring FOUR (4x) totally separate Armies (in that no character figure can be duplicated in another Army). Each army should be no more than 500 points that fit on to no more than 24 hexes. The total point value comes to 2,000. No one will use the same army twice unless more player show up and we then have to go to a Fifth Game playoff. This way we will get to see a lot of different units in action, both in our own armies and in our opponents. You can even play the same person multiple times since you would both have a different army. I will bring a dozen different armies in case someone needs to borrow one or an onlooker wants to join in without having their own.

Regarding how much SPACE is available: The foyer / lobby of the church is plenty big enough. I was planning on TWO (2) 6' x 30" tables just for HS. They accommodate TWO (2) standard HS BoV type maps each. But I can even bring an extra table just in case. 2 tables x 2 maps each will allow up to 8 players simultaneously. Let's arbitrarily say each game is limited to 50 minutes. I will definitely bring at least two maps and if each of you bring one map or tiles to build one on the fly, that should be plenty. The player with the highest score will get the first choice of the available prizes (i.e. maybe cookies, etc.).

Reiterating . . .

LOCATION: The PARK CHURCH at #31 Park Road, Tinton Falls, NJ.
DIRECTIONS: If you come off the Garden State Parkway (Northbound OR Southbound) at Exit #105 for Eatontown, take the jug handle ramp on the right to make the left turn onto Hope Road heading north. At the first light (1/10th mile) turn LEFT at the Applebee's and continue 100 yards to #31 on the right. IMHO: it's very easy to get to.
DATE & TIME: Saturday, October 15th, 2016 - arrive and set up 11:00 AM Hope to be rolling dice by 12:00 NOON to play FOUR consecutive games of 45 - 50 minutes each with 10 minute breaks in between to tally scores and partake of refreshments. The church is providing some snacks and pizzas will be ordered at 5 o'clock-ish to then be sold by the slice.
COST: Since the church is "suggesting" a $10.oo per person donation, which will go toward the Easter Seals Foundation (one of our gamer friends in this Exit 105 Group, has this disease and is confined to a wheelchair - she's an amazing lady, I hope you get to meet her), ... I do not want to ask for any additional money, unless everyone was will to chip in another dollar or two. I have some extra figures I can donate as prize support (i.e. a Grimnak or Mimring, perhaps - haha - and some more C3V customs, maybe some lollipops too, etc.)
ACCOMODATIONS: There's an Applebee's across the street, a Mariott on the corner, a 7-11 around the block, Chinese Take-Out, and a Bogart's 1/4 mile away; and Monmouth Mall with over 100 stores, a huge food court and a dozen other restaurants is less than 2 miles away.

If you need any other information Post a query here or P.M. me and I'll get back to you.
Cheers.
~ John G.

Old October 14th, 2016, 12:39 PM

Just a quick update that we are still on for TOMORROW (Saturday October 15th, 2016) see above for details or click here for the discussion thread . . .
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=53299

Old May 31st, 2017, 12:16 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Bumping this thread, which I see I overlooked the last couple of times. We are up again in Savage, on 7/1. See some of you there!

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=54067

= =
Old June 1st, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Bumping this thread, which I see I overlooked the last couple of times. We are up again in Savage, on 7/1. See some of you there!

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=54067
Thanks for the "Heads-Up" D_S, this thread has been pretty dry lately and I don't even check this site every day like I used to - still try to get here weekly at least, but having too much fun chatting with HS NooBs on FB pages.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events