Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 12th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: The future of Heroscapers, Gen Con, and gaming

I am grateful to @Matthias Maccabeus and his crew for running GenCon all the years Brad and I have been attending. Particularly in the early years, when Matthias's easy way with kids made it better for Brad, who was very young and absorbing the Con experience with some mixed awe and stress. I know it was not always easy for Matthias, or the other leaders, dealing with the responsibilities of leading that mission, and I believe with some certainty that GenCon has been some of the best fun I have ever had.

Many, many, many thanks, Matthias (and @lonewolf and the others who have been part of the crew), for all that you did to make 'Scape at GenCon a thing. I know there were others before you guys, but you were the only ones I ever knew, and what you did mattered to my family and to me. Cheers to you guys, and I'll see about ScapeCon next year.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 12th, 2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old August 12th, 2021, 05:55 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I really appreciate what anyone who was ever involved with Heroscape at GenCon has done, and a little disappointed I didn't get to participate more. The good news is I was super impressed with ScapeCon and how @OEAO and @Dragon Ruler pulled it off. Between COVID and just generally feeling like GenCon is a little too much, especially when games-wise my intent was always to be there for 'scape and not much else, I'm super excited about ScapeCon as the future of the Heroscape gaming community!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 13th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
It is sad that I may have to choose which to attend (cost and time). I love heroscape, but like to learn and play other games and love the gencon atmosphere. What would be the timing and location for Scapecon? Having about a year to plan is important. I could not attend scapecon this year because it was a week different then the time I set aside for Gencon. Can you attend next time without staying in the hotel and eating? Things to consider to help keep the cost down (I did 4 days of gencon, with house rental, food, parking and 4 day pass for under $250).

Do you think it would be possible to still run some events at Gencon in the future. Like 2-3 tournaments over 1 day so people can still play Heroscape and enjoy the atmosphere of gencon? I would be interested (and have to the time) to work on it for 2022. I am assuming the several heroscapers will still go to Gencon as well as plan on playing in Scapecon (I would be one of them!). Just thinking out loud since I love this community, the game, and Gencon.
We will likely have announcements regarding ScapeCon 2022 this weekend. You will not need to stay in the hotel, but you will need to purchase the badge which includes all meals, prizes and a T-Shirt. The cost of the meals pays for the five day use of the hotel's ballroom/banquet facility.

For most people, ScapeCon will be substantially less expensive than GenCon. Given the 4 day GenCon badge price of $129 and the ticket cost of approx. $70 to play in the Scape Tournaments at GenCon, this past ScapeCon's all inclusive badge cost of $335 for 10 meals was only $135 more than the badge cost and tournament cost of GenCon scape.
Old August 13th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I hope (?) you guys will give ScapeCon some breathing space between that event and GenCon, for people who are considering trying to do both.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 13th, 2021, 07:49 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I hope (?) you guys will give ScapeCon some breathing space between that event and GenCon, for people who are considering trying to do both.
That is what I am hoping as well. it will be interesting to see the timing.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old August 15th, 2021, 10:05 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
(I did 4 days of gencon, with house rental, food, parking and 4 day pass for under $250).
Geez, that is dirt cheap. We did KenCon this year for 165$ all inclusive including food, (Well I guess I did spend 5$ for some Marvel Champions promos at our dealer hall) and I thought that was the best deal possible, but GenCon for $250 without a GM badge does seem like it might be a better deal.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 15th, 2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: From lonewolf: KenCon recently voted best con for your money by Midwest Gaming Magazine
Old August 15th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I’m very glad to see the HeroScape community thriving on despite not being at Gencon. I’ve watched SirHS’s video from the event and it reminded me of the earlier days of ‘scaping when tons of people were playing and having a great time.

I am very much interested in (hopefully) attending ScapeCon next year with my son, and look forward to meeting some of you that I’ve not met and seeing some of the old friends that I have.

I also want to say thanks to MM and company for the fantastic job they’ve done over the last decade or so. I know from a distance how stressful it can be as I have spent many an evening playing and testing ‘Scape ideas and armies from when R˙chean ran things. You guys have been rockstars. Stellar and first class.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; August 15th, 2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old August 18th, 2021, 09:30 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Part of me grieves the loss of Heroscape at Gencon but another part celebrates the adventures we had and the friendships gained.

It is a chapter in my life that I will always think fondly of.
I guess this means that I will never see Jeter again. I looked forward to our yearly 30 minute meet n greet

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 18th, 2021, 03:12 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Right now I am planning on running a few events for Heroscape at Gencon 2022. I will start to work on it this fall with help from the former event handlers and I will post more about it later this fall and winter. So plan on some Heroscape events at Gencon (now the work begins)!!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old August 18th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Will be interested to see what you come up with. I have considered it myself but the logistics of map setup alone is daunting.
Old September 20th, 2021, 03:38 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I like the sound of ScapeCon a lot, but I struggle to justify going without also being able to do all the other GenCon stuff I do (checking out new games at the dealer hall, playing Pathfinder and Starfinder, etc.). And GenCon feels considerably less appealing without Heroscape being involved.

Overall I'm pretty bummed out about this announcement. The Heroscape tables are like a "home base" at GenCon that makes the experience of wandering around alone considerably less lonely. Other than meeting up and staying with Heroscapers, I've only attended GenCon with a friend once.

Could be cool for the two cons to be in the same week (Saturday-Tuesday -> Thursday-Sunday), so it would just be one trip to hit both. Otherwise they almost have to be months apart for me to consider doing both.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 21st, 2021, 04:25 AM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

The beauty of ScapeCon is that you can attend by yourself and not feel alone Caps. We're all in the ballroom scaping and then in the dining room right next door for meals.

With multiplayer madness maps coming down after Wed. night's tourney, we'll have extra tables for anyone who wants to run a different game. We can also have tables set up outside the ballroom entrance at the end of the hall for gaming. We're hoping to see a variety of different games/events/tourneys this year.

I think you'll have a blast if you decide to attend. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con