Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 14th, 2022, 11:41 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 1/10/2022 - New "Pack")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo, Inc.

The figure used for this unit is a Starfinder Battles figure from the Planets of Peril set. The name of the figure is BMC Mauler. The figure's base is single-spaced.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!
I'm a big fan of the theme here. And I really like this as a design for the fleet-scale Starfinder minis. Without seeing the mini in person, it seems like the scale is right for it could be some kind of hover-soulborg.

A couple of notes/thoughts...

Scout doesn't sit right with me for this design. This feels much more of a Protector to me. You trade Venoc Warlord synergy for Zogross Hardscale synergy, but I don't think you need synergy with the former, and the latter can always use a boost (even if it isn't ever really going to be relevant).

Typically, names of D20 powers reference the roll to succeed, not the aura size. (EX: the Mind Flayer Mastermind's power is ENSLAVE 17 not ENSLAVE 4.)

Regarding SUPRESSING FIRE 7 16; an aura 7, 25% chance to negate attacks and auto wound is VERY powerful. Especially on a 70 point figure with 5 defense. As the power stands I can see it being very oppressive when paired with 10th Regiment and even worse with Raelin. Most normal ranged attacks are between 5 and 7 range, meaning if positioning is optimal, it would be impossible to target P:C. I would suggest lowering the aura, probably to 4 and maybe include an off-turn movement power. That way the power isn't a blanket cover and positioning becomes more important.

This also has the side-effect of making the stealth part of STEALTH FLYING useful. You also might need to rebalance the life/defense stats as part of this.

You could also limit the auto-wound a bit, perhaps only on a 20.

Quote:
SUPPRESSING FIRE 16
If an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of PROJECT: Cloudcover targets any other non-adjacent figure you control with a normal attack, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, no dice are rolled for this attack, and no defense dice are rolled. Additionally, if you roll a 20 or higher, the attacking figure receives one wound.

OFF-TURN MOVEMENT POWER NAME
When a figure you control that began it's move within 4 spaces of PROJECT: Cloudcover and ended it's move farther than 4 spaces away. You can reveal the X Order Marker on this Army Card to move PROJECT: Cloudcover 2 spaces. PROJECT: Cloudcover must end this move within 4 spaces of that figure.
Alternatively, I think it could be really cool if you cribbed the Nakita Agents' SMOKE POWDER 13, instead of SUPRESSING FIRE. Possibly doing the name Cloudcover more justice. (Although, take this suggestion with a grain of salt if it isn't the direction you want to go.)

Quote:
CLOUDCOVER 16

When another figure you control within 4 spaces of PROJECT: Cloudcover is targeted with a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, figures you control within 4 spaces of PROJECT: Cloudcover no longer have any visible hit zones for the duration of the targeting figure's turn.
Overall, I think the current version is a great design but is too powerful. It needs some balancing to bring it down to the appropriate power levels.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old February 15th, 2022, 07:25 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 2/12/2022 - Hunter Squad)

I like Grim Bay. Always nice to see new, yet clean, takes on bonding.
Old July 20th, 2022, 08:56 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 1/10/2022 - New "Pack")

I'd like to start by apologizing to you two gentlemen @Vydar_XLIII and @Sherman Davies ; I definitely should have found time for this earlier. That being said, I greatly appreciate the feedback, so let's dive in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Quote:

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo, Inc.

The figure used for this unit is a Starfinder Battles figure from the Planets of Peril set. The name of the figure is BMC Mauler. The figure's base is single-spaced.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!
I'm a big fan of the theme here. And I really like this as a design for the fleet-scale Starfinder minis. Without seeing the mini in person, it seems like the scale is right for it could be some kind of hover-soulborg.

A couple of notes/thoughts...

Scout doesn't sit right with me for this design. This feels much more of a Protector to me. You trade Venoc Warlord synergy for Zogross Hardscale synergy, but I don't think you need synergy with the former, and the latter can always use a boost (even if it isn't ever really going to be relevant).
I'm glad to hear that you like the unit! I'll admit that I fudged the size a bit, as a finding an exact height for a wide, chest-level spaceship can be tricky, but the figure is decently proportionate to a "standard" humanoid unit. Amusingly, I actually forgot about the Protector class when designing Cloudcover; I chose Scout because the unit can be sent to a position as part of a first wave and offer protection while the area is reinforced, but Protector is more apt.

Quote:
Typically, names of D20 powers reference the roll to succeed, not the aura size. (EX: the Mind Flayer Mastermind's power is ENSLAVE 17 not ENSLAVE 4.)

Regarding SUPRESSING FIRE 7 16; an aura 7, 25% chance to negate attacks and auto wound is VERY powerful. Especially on a 70 point figure with 5 defense. As the power stands I can see it being very oppressive when paired with 10th Regiment and even worse with Raelin. Most normal ranged attacks are between 5 and 7 range, meaning if positioning is optimal, it would be impossible to target P:C. I would suggest lowering the aura, probably to 4 and maybe include an off-turn movement power. That way the power isn't a blanket cover and positioning becomes more important.

This also has the side-effect of making the stealth part of STEALTH FLYING useful. You also might need to rebalance the life/defense stats as part of this.

You could also limit the auto-wound a bit, perhaps only on a 20.
This is valuable input, as I want Cloudcover to be strong against range without being invincible. I generally balance point costs around the results of my own playtesting, which can be skewed due to the prevalence of melee-heavy armies at my table—the fact that I kept getting Deathwalker rolls for Cloudcover probably didn't help, either, haha. Moreover, the dynamic you've proposed for Stealth Flying and off-turn movement seems more exciting than the current design, which has significant appeal. I do prefer fragility on units with such attack-denying powers, though, so I'd probably just drop its Defense value to 4.

I should note that the origin of the name "Suppressing Fire 7" involves the fact that I have a Unique Squad custom I've never posted that uses the same roll benchmark for the same power, but that has a different area of effect that matches the Range on its Army Card. Lazy old me didn't want to make up two names for the same power, haha.
Quote:
Alternatively, I think it could be really cool if you cribbed the Nakita Agents' SMOKE POWDER 13, instead of SUPRESSING FIRE. Possibly doing the name Cloudcover more justice. (Although, take this suggestion with a grain of salt if it isn't the direction you want to go.)
A Smoke Powder aura on a Hero would be intriguing, but I prefer the imagery of a direct or "personal" skirmish/firefight between Cloudcover and an attacker to a blanket immunity for the rest of the attacker's turn, so I'm unlikely to change the core of the power. Thanks for contributing an idea, though!

Quote:
Overall, I think the current version is a great design but is too powerful. It needs some balancing to bring it down to the appropriate power levels.
After some thought, these are the tweaks I'll be testing next:
Quote:
NAME = PROJECT: Cloudcover
GENERAL = ULLAR
PLANET = ALPHA PRIME
SPECIES = SOULBORG
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = PROTECTOR
PERSONALITY = REBELLIOUS
SIZE/HEIGHT = LARGE 5

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 7
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 70

SUPPRESSING FIRE 17
If an opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of PROJECT: Cloudcover targets any other non-adjacent figure you control with a normal attack, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, no dice are rolled for this attack, no defense dice are rolled, and you may immediately roll an unblockable attack die against the attacking figure.

VIGILANT PROTECTOR
Before revealing Order Marker 1, you may reveal an "X" Order Marker on this Army Card to move PROJECT: Cloudcover up to 4 spaces. PROJECT: Cloudcover must be able to end its move within 4 clear sight spaces of a friendly figure to use Vigilant Protector.

STEALTH FLYING
When counting spaces for PROJECT: Cloudcover's movement, ignore elevations. PROJECT: Cloudcover may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. If PROJECT: Cloudcover is engaged when it starts to fly, it will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I like Grim Bay. Always nice to see new, yet clean, takes on bonding.
Thanks for the kind words. I agree with you, there; straight bonding is great in the most competitive settings, but I often find unconventional or limited variations more enjoyable to design.

--------------------------------------

Of course, I haven't just quit making customs for the past five months. Once I mock up a suitable card, I'll properly revive this thread.
Old July 28th, 2022, 09:53 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 7/28/2022 - Trees)

After a little break, this thread is back in action!

Proftaka's Stratagem - Large Expansion - Brandar's Enigma

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo.com

The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Darklands Rising set. The name of the figure is Arboreal Regent. The figure's base is double-spaced.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As with past iterations, Mimameid still requires a few trees and bushes to achieve its fullest potential. This map dependence can be inconvenient for such an expensive unit, with only the prevalence of such DO's on competitive maps to soften the blow. That is, until I happened upon a certain sculpt...
------------------------------------------

Rannveig's Might - Unyielding Titans

Original figure image credit goes to ICV2.

The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the The Mwangi Expanse set. The name of the figure is Arboreal Warden. The figure's base is double-spaced.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As always, comments are welcome.

Last edited by Blue Trails; August 4th, 2022 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Fixed italicization of Hoddmimis's sculpt details.
Old August 10th, 2022, 10:12 PM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 8/10/2022 - Zombie Squad)

Well, I'm back with another unit!

Sturla's Miracle - Skulks and Shamblers

Original figure images credits go to Paizo Inc. and MinisGallery.

The first figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Maze of Death set. The name of the figure is Juju Zombie. The second figure used for this unit is a D&D Icons of the Realms figure from the Boneyard set. The name of the figure is Zombie #014. The third figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Ruins of Lastwall set. The name of the figure is Skeletal Soldier. The fourth figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Crown of Fangs set. The name of the figure is Fungal Guardian.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

Comments are welcome.

Last edited by Blue Trails; August 10th, 2022 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting errors.
Old August 11th, 2022, 12:53 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 7/28/2022 - Trees)

Quote:
snipped for brevity
These are very cool. A couple questions:

1. Is Arboreal form meant to stop flyers or ghosts from moving through the unit?

2. As is, thick roots makes terrain feel "higher" for movement purposes which i think is neat. Should it also feel higher for attacking? Should a figure on top of the roots get height advantage on someone outside of the roots who would otherwise be on the same level of terrain?
Old August 11th, 2022, 01:24 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I really like what you did with the Iron Horde of Morindan. Are you sure the 4 defense is justified, though? Seems like you could drop the price quite a bit and drop the defense to 3.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 11th, 2022, 07:46 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I really like what you did with the Iron Horde of Morindan. Are you sure the 4 defense is justified, though? Seems like you could drop the price quite a bit and drop the defense to 3.
I'm guessing it's because the regular Zombies of Morindan already have a 3 Defense, and these minis wear armor. Probably also why they have a 3 Move.

I like the card. Not sure I would ever personally play an army that contained two different types of zombie squads (maybe too much of a good thing, plus I like my armies eclectic), but the combo could make for some fun thematic games.
Old August 12th, 2022, 11:12 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I did not even notice the 3 move. Maybe they're super good in a Zombies army, but they seem overpriced by a lot to me.

--
--
--

--
Old August 12th, 2022, 07:51 PM

I'm glad to see that so many people like what I've been doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
Quote:
snipped for brevity
These are very cool. A couple questions:

1. Is Arboreal form meant to stop flyers or ghosts from moving through the unit?

2. As is, thick roots makes terrain feel "higher" for movement purposes which i think is neat. Should it also feel higher for attacking? Should a figure on top of the roots get height advantage on someone outside of the roots who would otherwise be on the same level of terrain?
1. Arboreal Form prevents figures from moving through the trees, not from passing over their spaces. It helps to think of the figures as actual tree DOs; while Ghost/Phantom Walkers and friendly figures are thus out of luck, Flying, Stealth Leap, Grapple Arm, and other such movement powers are supposed to be fair game.

2. Good question! Thick Roots is really just supposed to cause problems in climbing or traversing the affected area, so I hadn't considered rolling height advantage into the effect. However, this would make Mimameid significantly more powerful with ranged pods, which could drive its expensive price further higher, and give opponents' figures height advantage against Mimameid's player's army, which is anti-synergistic with the unit's intended role as a defender.

---------------
As for the Iron Horde, @Sherman Davies is correct about the reasoning behind their stats; this unit is to the Zombies of Morindan as the Heavy Gruts are to the Blade Gruts, boasting greater skill at arms and better protection at the cost of mobility. Meanwhile, the price is justified both by the potential annoyance of destroying a self-replenishing squad with 4 Defense and by the power of developing such a slow squad without spending Order Markers. I'll admit that Zombies of Morindan x3/Iron Horde/PKs x2 isn't the strongest army, but it's fun and thematic, and the Iron Horde killed their points worth in Knights of Weston more than once during playtesting.

That said, I'd be interested in hearing what you think the squad should cost, @capsocrates . I assume realizing it only has 3 Move didn't help your impression!
Old August 24th, 2022, 11:45 PM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 5/27/2021)

Spoiler Alert!

One way to simplify the text of Edasich here would be to specify that scattershot can only be used on non-adjacent figures. It can be thematically justified and would simplify the text overall; the powers become mutually exclusive by their nature rather than by explicit text.

--
--
--

--
Old August 26th, 2022, 04:33 PM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 5/27/2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Spoiler Alert!

One way to simplify the text of Edasich here would be to specify that scattershot can only be used on non-adjacent figures. It can be thematically justified and would simplify the text overall; the powers become mutually exclusive by their nature rather than by explicit text.
That's an excellent suggestion. Somewhat amusingly, though, TheAverageFan gave the same advise back in 2021, and I implemented it after testing. I should update this thread's archive soon.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards