Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

Yes, *and* creating the space will encourage the discussion. It may or may not come, but you put a little extra kindling on the fire *before* it grows into a big flame, not after. If the fire burns out anyway, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have tried the kindling.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:09 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I'd say if it's a stand alone game, it belongs in the Other Games forums. If it does get bigger and have expansions, the question is more relevant.
Thank you Cleon.
I also think Cleon is correct here regarding Magic: AotP's place in these forums. Let's wait and see if this is actually supported or if it turns out to be another Battleship Galaxies.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:12 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I look at this game, and I see Heroscape 2.0. And I see interest among some of us here in this community.

If the game isn't supported, or if people don't post in some new subforum, that's fine. Nothing lost. But it's not outside the realm of possibility that this game will have some legs, and will attract some interest in our community. So why not have a space to discuss it?
Grish, above is the only reason I suggested a sub-forum and apparently the admins were already considering it.

There is a great deal of discussion already being had (85 page thread here) and there will only be more to come in the next few months and probably years. This game is so close to being Heroscape that if we are indeed "your source for all things 'scape" we would be remiss to not have some space carved out for it somewhere. I mean the dice are compatible, the figures are to scale, and the terrain is also compatible.

I am a Heroscape purists through and through, which is another reason why I suggested it. It would be nice to have it in its own place rather than all over the boards, diluting the classic content.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; July 15th, 2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ..
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yup. We agree completely. Particularly on this point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
This game is so close to being Heroscape that if we are indeed "your source for all things 'scape" we would be remiss to not have some space carved out for it somewhere.

= =
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Hopefully AoP will become popular. If that happens then there will be a lot of people coming to this board to try to buy terrain. If there is a sub forum then they can contribute their ideas to the community instead of just posting "Terrain Wanted" in the classified section. It would also attract new members to this site. The customs communities we have are wonderful but it's mostly the same people posting over and over again.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I don't know guys, this still just screams to me 'go check out Magic the Gathering all you miniatures players.' This is a product to get more people into Magic, that happens to use the Heroscape engine because it's a great engine and Wizards owns it.

WotC is not the nicest company in the gaming world, and they really only care about two games - Magic and D&D. They are known for getting the rights to a game and shortly after discontinuing it. If they wanted Heroscape to continue and expand and flourish they wouldn't have cheaply used already existing D&D minis for Heroscape's last expansions and then axed it. If they wanted to bring Heroscape back then they'd simply bring it back.

Call me negative or whatever, but a lot of you guys are over-positive. This is not to get people interested in Heroscape (although it might ironically), it's to get even more people into Magic. As I've frequently heard, a lot of the people trying this game have never heard of Heroscape. And Wizards definitely hasn't advertised it was based off it.

As far as the sub forum debate....I don't know. It's a different game that isn't a Heroscape product, but it's virtually an alternative Heroscape game with the Magic theme (from what I can tell). I could see it go either way. I'd say if it's a stand alone game, it belongs in the Other Games forums. If it does get bigger and have expansions, the question is more relevant.

Also I'm not trying to protest this product and tell those that are interested not to purchase it. If you're hungry for more Heroscape-esq things and don't mind it being Magic/WotC, then be my guest. I personally mind it; I really don't care for Magic (and dislike Wizards). Just giving my on it.
Incorrect and speculative. The brand is most likely used as a way to increase sales of THIS PRODUCT! To help insure that it will have strong enough sales to support it.
Well there's always that school of thought. Knowing Wizards, I don't think they're going for that. Time will tell.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Yup. We agree completely. Particularly on this point:
Quote:
This game is so close to being Heroscape that if we are indeed "your source for all things 'scape" we would be remiss to not have some space carved out for it somewhere.
And I too agree. It was never my point that it shouldn't be here.

I just wanted to be a tiny voice of reason as to where to place it on this site and not rush to create a Major Forum as was suggested a few pages back. (In other words not like the Marvel Legends Heroscape forum on the main forums page.)
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Eh. I can't get too excited about where they put it. It won't be in "Official," and it's not a "Custom." It'll be somewhere else, I guess. I just don't care. Surprise me.

= =
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Some, if not most, of you feel we should very quickly elevate it to be equal to Heroscape
I think the very most anyone is advocating for is to quickly elevate to be the equal of Heroscape customs.

If CVN showed up a year ago with a custom project to make planeswalkers and include a small hand of cards in addition to the armies we'd have easily given that project the same kind of status we give C3G, which, by any other name IS the Marvel Legends HeroScape section at this point.

So is CVN's MtG "custom" worth talking about here? Sure. No matter how you slice it, it deserves a spot at the table. The only real question in my mind is "where here does it belong"?

I think the breadth of discussion that will happen is too great to justify it as a sub-sub-sub-sub forum of Off-Topic->Other Games->Other Board Games. So it doesn't really fit in the "natural" place that discussion of any other board game might go.

It's not Official, it's not technically a Custom, it certainly isn't Marvel and it's a bad fit for Community. Which, if we fit it in the existing structure, either makes it a sub sub under Other Games or a sub under Off Topic which would then have these four displayed: Other Games, Other Media, General, MtG:AotP. Frankly, that seems like a bad fit to me as well.

The place it makes the most sense to me is as a major header somewhere between Marvel and Off-Topic (not sure if I like it better above or below Community).

Now all of this assumes that we want to create a space to discuss the game here. I'd like to think that this thread, the one about customs I saw and potentially others I've missed justifies at least that level of need.

Respectfully,

~Aldin, space planner
I understand your problem here 100%.

When you look at the forum home page, at the top, it says Heroscapers.com.

Then you have 5 major headers, 4 of which are all about what the site is all about, Heroscape.

The last major header is Off-Topic and includes discussions of other games. I feel that the new MtG game belongs here. If you make it a major heading you elevate the game to a higher importance rating and, in doing so, this site no longer fits with it's original intent, to be a site dedicated to Heroscape. If the new MtG game had a 100% direct relationship to Heroscape, like Marvel and D&D did, then this would not have been a contentious point for me.

I understand that some of you don't have any issues with where it should be placed. I, along with a few others, apparently do.

This is a core issue here. How you relate to this new game and how it fits into the overall Heroscape picture does matter. It's suddenly brought up, at least to me, issues of what exactly we are, or want to be, as a game community.

However, like I said, I understand your problem here 100%. Where to put this sub-forum. So, in the spirit of progress and moving forward, I will capitulate. If the mods feel it needs to be in a major heading, for lack of anywhere else to place it, so be it.

With that said I'm bowing out of this discussion for the moment. It's definitely been an interesting way to while away the day!
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Incorrect and speculative. The brand is most likely used as a way to increase sales of THIS PRODUCT! To help insure that it will have strong enough sales to support it.
This is definitely the case. If you look at WotC's game plan over the past few years, their top priority has been expanding and publicizing their brands. New video games, all of those D&D miniature games (which Heroscape was a part of!), new figures and merchandise. This exists to attract people who aren't interested in the card game to the Magic brand.

Just like people nowadays are huge Marvel fans without ever reading a comic, they want people to be Magic fans without ever necessarily playing the game. If Arena is successful they have every reason to keep it running for as long as they can.
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Griz, if people were talking about HeroQuest and BattleMasters as much as people will be talking about this game, they just might have gotten their own subforums. But people are not talking about those games more than in whatever handful of extant threads already exist for them, so there is no need for a subforum for them.
I'd like to add that you shouldn't underestimate the influence that HeroQuest has had on modern day gaming.

Just for fun here's a whole web page on a site dedicated to Quest that converts HeroQuest to Heroscape. It's complete with spells that summon beings.

http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-...num=1194240479

And if you look on page 3 you'll find our good friend GrungeBob posting, as well as Sgt Hulka, who used to hang around here.
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:24 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
Quote:
.....and some people might want to just play the game as it is.

I'm starting to think Arena should have an entire sub forum, like Marvel, for custom and official topics.
I agree completely
I too agree. Maybe we can contact an admin? I don't know who has editing privilages.
To prevent unnecessary contacting and all that, you should know that it is being discussed.
Don't want to **** in your Cheerios here but I was under the impression that this is a Heroscape fan site. This new game does not say Heroscape anywhere on it and thus should remain in "other games".
I would call it Heroscape related. I think it would be silly not to accept this as a Heroscape product since the compatibility is extreme.
Well, I knew my thoughts would not necessarily be popular. And I agree with you that it is Heroscape related. But no way should it get an entire sub-forum as suggested. I feel that if this gets special treatment what about all of the other games that are also similarly related? Again, I have no issue with it being placed in Other Games as a sub-forum. Just not as a major Forum like Marvel as mentioned.

I'd like to add here's the listing that we currently have of forums:

Official Classic Heroscape
Custom Heroscape Creations
Marvel Legends Heroscape
Heroscape Community
Off-Topic

This is a Heroscape site. Magic belongs in other games, it's not a Heroscape product. I hopefully you see my point here.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. AotP is definitely a different game. I believe the discussion in question though is whether or not the game is prominent enough in it's form that it will grow the Heroscape community. I think a lot of Heroscape player are going to enjoy the new game which will lead to them converting several heroscape figures over the AotP. I also believe that AotP players may find Heroscape for the first time and AotP becomes a kind of "gateway". If this phenomenon comes to fruition, I believe that maybe Magic should get it's own sub-forum the way that Marvel has. It can be a home to players of both Heroscape and AotP players. If AotP becomes large enough that it has an impact on the current Heroscape community, I see no reason to keep it from getting it's own large forum space.

I think we can all agree that games like BattleTech or Mage Wars may carry certain elements of Heroscape but as a whole have not affected the "status-quo" of Heroscape. Thus they do not receive a sub-forum. AotP however has been frequently refered to as Heroscape 2.0.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion