Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old April 7th, 2010, 10:10 PM

1red2blue4 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: 2010 Main Event Armies

Oh...

That would've been nice though. Raelin would make a nice part, too. Are there any Utgar figures with regular counter strike? I hope there are, even though there probably aren't.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:21 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1red2blue4 View Post
Oh...

That would've been nice though. Raelin would make a nice part, too. Are there any Utgar figures with regular counter strike? I hope there are, even though there probably aren't.
No dice there.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:36 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Quote:
Oh...

No dice there.
There's always Scatter...

The Utgar Shuffle
Torin 120
Deathreavers x2 80
Taelord 180
Stingers x2 120
500/16

600 + Krav
620 + Stingers
640 + Krav & Rats?

Just keep moving forward...
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:36 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Nice. When I think of Q9, I tend to think of Q9 with a screen, but yeah, if the FE get to him, he's toast.
This may be a blind spot for me, because I gave up on screening the FEs pretty early on, but does a screen really work against the FEs? A screen has to engage the FEs by definition, and they don't have to trigger scatter.
The screen doesn't have to engage the FEs. It just has to set up between the FE and whatever ranged unit the screen is guarding. In this case, the FE have to engage the screen to get through to Q9, while he pelts them from range. A passive screen. More like speed bumps. Still, the FE will burn it quick if he misses for a turn or two.

--
1red2blue4:

If you're into Torin, I think you have to think about ranged figures. Probably stingers, though the Zettian Guards might be interesting, too. Some people are thinking Minions might work, too. I think it might be nice to set Taelord next to him, but that's a lot of points into two figures.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Boredom is fun. Here is one that borrows from weesel99's army that he played at GenCon 2008 and also a similar army that I played against stubobj:

Regging my Lawnmower
Raelin
10th Regiment of Foot x 4
Hydra
500 points, 19 starting spaces

At 600 points - Add a 10th + Chainfighter
At 620 - Kaemon Awa (or another Hydra)
At 640 - Hydra/KA + Marcu

Likes: You should do good against any Melee based army and you have a powerful hero killer in the form of the Fen Hydra. In addition you're not to bad against Stingers or Blasts/Glads well providing Raelin can stay alive awhile for you.

Hates: I could probably list 4 things I hate about this army but the '4th' item would be the worst.

Grenade lobbyist
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM

1red2blue4 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quick qusetion: If you have 24 hexes in day 1, can you remove and add for day 2? I figure this is a good place to ask this beacause it is an official tournament, and it specifically requires at most 24 hexes.
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quick qusetion: If you have 24 hexes in day 1, can you remove and add for day 2? I figure this is a good place to ask this beacause it is an official tournament, and it specifically requires at most 24 hexes.
You can remove figures, but you don't get the points back.

If you have a 510 point, 24 hex army on day 1, then you only have 90/110/130 points to spend on day 2, and you will have to leave off figures from the start zone if you want to add the new ones.
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM

falls78 is surprisingly tart

5x PKs 350
Othkurik 490

600: AE
620: Kaemon+Isamu or PKs and MWs or 2x GWs+Isamu
640: Q10 or 2xPKs+Isamu
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Looking for a ka-tet

Sonlen4MVP is surprisingly tart

I wanted to post this army and hopefully get some feedback on it. I don't have Torin yet but I love the idea of him.

Torin 120
Minions x 2 340
Stingers x 2 460
MW 510 = 18 spaces

At 600: add Raelin/Isamu = 20 spaces
At 620: add Minions x 1 = 21 spaces
At 640: add Stingers x 2/Isamu throw Isamu out for 24 spaces.

Would it be possible for this team to make day 2? I plan on Torin helping the Minions move across the board while the stingers/warriors range support as well.

Great Trades : EyeOfSauron, Ryougabot, Draconious x 2, Daddyscaper, Wytefang, Huggable Zombie, Comicgash, jordy40, thestaton, SuperflyTNT and Unicornbrownies.
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonlen4MVP View Post
I wanted to post this army and hopefully get some feedback on it. I don't have Torin yet but I love the idea of him.

Torin 120
Minions x 2 340
Stingers x 2 460
MW 510 = 18 spaces

At 600: add Raelin/Isamu = 20 spaces
At 620: add Minions x 1 = 21 spaces
At 640: add Stingers x 2/Isamu throw Isamu out for 24 spaces.

Would it be possible for this team to make day 2? I plan on Torin helping the Minions move across the board while the stingers/warriors range support as well.
It's not a bad army, but I think it would struggle to go 4-1 in a field of 80 strong players, which is basically what you need to do to make Day 2.

I've never played Torin though, so I guess I don't know.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I think that if you're going to play Torin, you want lots and lots of medium Utgar ranged figures. While Minions standing adjacent to Torin are basically immune to normal ranged attacks, a smart opponent (who lacks a special with a range of 6+) is just going to avoid engaging those Minions until everything else is gone. If the Minions move, they lose the evil eye bonus.

I also think you also want Raelin with Torin. Raelin's aura enhances Evil Eye significantly. You can park Raelin 3 hexes behind Torin so that all the figures adjacent to Torin benefit from the aura as well, but opposing ranged figures need to push forward to hit Raelin. If you do this on the side of the map, you can pretty much force your opponent to get within range of your stingers in order to take out Raelin.

My favorite Torin army would probably be Torin, Raelin, Stingersx4, Deathreaversx2. But since that's 520, you have to do something different. Earlier in the thread I suggested

120 Torin
80 Raelin RotV
300 Stingers x5
500, 18 hexes

If you want a rat-screen, you could do something like:

120 Torin
80 Raelin
80 Deathreavers x2
50 Marro Warriors
180 Stingers x3
510, 24 hexes

Obviously, that's taking your whole startzone on day 1, so day 2 upgrades are a little strained, but it's a really solid army against ranged hordes like 4th Mass, or anything that has trouble with a rat screen.
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM

rihnoswirl Woo who?

i have two different armies thet i use all the time.
for 750 point games:

evasive elves
sonlen 160
syvarris 100
ulginesh 150
arkmer 50
chardris 90
johrdawn 100
emiroon 80
kyntela gwyn 20
total: 750

charos royal army
charos 210
fen hydra 120
venoc vipers (x 3) 120
elite onyx vipers 100
venoc warlord 120
greenscale warriors 60
total: 730

leave a comment if you think it would be easily beaten or if it is something you would use constantly!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion