Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:00 PM

Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker
Re: Letters From the Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The arena combat was another clever design from my brother. We four party members were split into four different rooms, each with a different randomly selected opponent. At the top of each round, we magically rotated to the next room, to face the opponent there.
Wow. I may have to steal that.

Anywho, between Christmas preparations and a nasty bug going around the house, it's been awhile since we got a good session in. But..
Having defeated their opponent, the party set off across the only bridge out of the village. (The setting is basically a series of floating landmasses connected by a web of artificial bridges). There, they set off a booby trap meant to hide evidence of the attack by destroying the bridge and letting the village drift off into space. Their late enemy wasn't the type to win awards for subtlety.
Thankfully, the adventurers caught on fast and kept their heads. While their teammates fought off the mooks guarding the bomb, the shaman managed to disable the magical portion of the device, while the dwarf took out its electronics (which she still hasn't stopped bragging about, incidentally).
Upon entering the next town, they stumbled upon a fellow adventurer--a gnome sage embroiled in combat with a swarm of undead raised by his arch-nemesis, a necromancer known only as the Bonemonger. The gnome (who went by Miracle Man) was grateful for their help in dealing with the threat, and agreed to meet up with them later. In the meantime, our relatively brave more-or-less heroes headed to the town library, in search of information on the parchment and the shield...
Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:37 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Bone Monger, nice.

Sounds fun, thanks for the update.

Here is tale I wrote up for a game maybe 10 years ago. I was running Eslo Rudkey who is a legendary NPC in our game world who is originally from our past. A trapper from the Michigan Territory who offends an old Indian woman who curses him to carry a demon infused pistol that will not let him die but likes to destroy anyone he cares about and other demons.
This was a one-shot game with nothing leading up to it and no continuation.
Spoiler Alert!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:16 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Last night's session capped off a two-week invasion of a house held by the local bookkeeper for a nasty organization called the Myriad. We were looking for information about Finn's family (Finn, you'll remember, is the halfling monk who lost his family and much of his clan when they were taken by slave traders).

We penetrated the stronghouse last week and found our way to the upstairs office and secret room where records and treasures were kept. After killing some guards outside we had a bruising battle inside against a shield guardian and a flesh golem, but we managed to best them late last night.

We found the records we were looking for, along with some treasure and a couple of magic knick knacks. I destroyed the room with all the records with a fireball, and we slipped out of an upstairs window to make our quiet escape. Del - my half elf sorcerer, you will remember - thought we'd made a stylish and quiet getaway, with no clues about who had broken in and set the records on fire. But, alas, I know that our human ranger, Sue, rolled a 1 on his stealth roll as we tried to slip away from the scene of the crime. And late that night, after we'd had a chance to go over the magical items and make sense of the stolen documents, Finn rolled poorly on a Perception roll as someone walked slowly past our room at the inn.

So I think, unfortunately, the Myriad is onto us. This could get ugly, because we almost got killed just sneaking into one of their mostly-empty houses, when they weren't expecting us.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 31st, 2018, 04:43 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Arson, nice.
Old January 31st, 2018, 04:50 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I'd feel much better about it if the ranger hadn't rolled a 1 on stealth when we were trying to slip away. . .

= =
Old January 31st, 2018, 05:04 PM

Never fails.

Now things get interesting.
Old March 21st, 2018, 09:27 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Subscribing to this thread, as I just joined a DnD 5e campaign on roll d20.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 21st, 2018, 02:44 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

@Bats ! Your tales of heroism and tragedy are best recorded, cleansed of spoilers, as Letters From the Front. I will catch us up on the adventures of Del and his crew in a few minutes, though it sounds like you may have better tales to tell then he currently does.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 21st, 2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: oops, meant to post this in "what board game are you playing." leaving it here anyway.
Old March 21st, 2018, 03:42 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dramatis personae

Thraag, gnome barbarian
Cellian "Del" Siannodel, half-elf sorcerer (me)
Finn, halfling monk
Sue, human ranger
Curly, Sue's battle pig
Keylee, halfling rogue (Finn's cousin, an NPC)

When last we left our heroes, they had robbed and firebombed a home belonging to a high-ranking member of the Myriad. The "robbery" consisted of a few works of art, an item or two, and - most importantly - documents relating to the capture of Finn's and Keylee's family, and the sale of that clan into slavery.

So we looked over the documents that night and the next morning, and then we set out to wrap up our affairs. We bought ourselves a bag of holding - it involved going to the same shop a couple of times, in different disguises, before making a satisfactory arrangement - and then we headed down to the docks. Our destination was a cave fortress many miles upstream, to the north.

We spent the day arranging for transportation, then day-drinking and carousing in a tavern. As I recall I tried to cheat at a few card games and the gnome barbarian sang for the crowd. Partly out of nervousness following the firebombing incident and partly for convenience, we stayed that night at the docks and took the barge north the next morning.

For myself, I love the days in town. I like being the party Face and finding ways to do useful stuff with the townspeople, and I like it when my party mates do things like sing for the people in a tavern. But we were moving back to the "dungeons" part of "Dungeons & Dragons," and off we went.

After a few days on the barge, during which the salve to turn my skin back to normal (My wild magic had turned it blue three times. Did I already mention that? And I'd bought some kind of a salve or potion that was supposed to make it go away, but it was taking ages to work.) we arrived upstream at a small town near our destination. We got directions at the local tavern and spent the night there. The next day we got up early and found the cave that led into some old dwarf fortress.

We've had a few sessions now of picking our way through traps and battling orcs and dungeon-monsters. At the end of last week's session we leveled up to 6, and this week we did a lot of exploring with only a little combat. Found a +1 longsword, which is currently with the ranger but should probably get reassigned to the barbarian.

Also, in the same room with the magic sword we found a beautiful steel and silver helmet. It was human-sized, and didn't really fit anyone except the animated zombie I was controlling (I have a magic whistle that occasionally lets me animate dead), so we stuck it on him and called it his "hood ornament." Later, near a fast-moving underground stream, most of us rolled poorly and, luckily, those of us who rolled well managed to keep the rest of us from slipping into the stream. Only the zombie went all the way in, and was swept away, down the waterfall and out of sight. Hood ornament and all.

Anyway. We ended the session in the middle of combat against a couple of "black puddings," which aren't nearly as delicious as they sound.

= =
Old March 27th, 2018, 04:14 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Dad_Scaper suggested that y'all might have an interest in this.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 27th, 2018, 05:42 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Dramatis personae

Quiella, gnome paladin/oracle (me)
Melufious, elf magus/rogue (roleplayed as a somewhat immature almost "teenaged" elf, which secretly drives me crazy)
Valik, human monk
Vailis, half-elf summoner
Zephyrus, elf alchemist (that specializes in making zombies via SCIENCE!)
Heccan, human sorcerer

For some background, Quiella is a *life* Oracle, which means she heals the rest of the party automagically every turn by taking some of their damage. She's kept the party up through many difficult encounters and frequently heals them up to 100% afterwards with great efficiency. She's also a badass (as far as Gnome Paladins go, at least) that can take a beating, is often hard to hit, and can put on some decent hurt with her greatsword and smite.

As we are about to step into the next room, we hear a bow string tighten and realize someone is waiting for us. We buff and enter the room. Mel, the elf rogue, is first through and gets instantly dropped by an arrow, which is unusual for PCs of our level, and it quickly becomes apparent that our ambushers are elf-hating drow with several stacking means of laying on the hurt against elves.

Quiella drags Mel out of the room and her life link brings him back to consciousness. "Don't die!" She tells him before going into the next room and joining the fight, where she tells the Drow they have one chance to surrender. They don't (of course) so she helps to lay them out. The alchemist was having trouble hit them with his bombs, the sorcerer was having trouble penetrating their spell resistance, and the monk doesn't hit very hard, so Quiella ended up doing most of the work, with an invisible Mel killing the last drow with a critical hit on an electrically charged rapier.

Before the drow went down, they said something cryptic about us being "too late to stop her." We were just here to explore an abandoned tower, so of course we have no idea what they're talking about and decide we need to interrogate the leader (the one that dropped Mel earlier).

And this is where things get tense (and really interesting). The half-elf summoner and elf magus are pissed and want to torture the drow, saying that they can't possibly do as much to the drow as the drow have done to elves in the past. Quiella, being a Paladin and a generally moral person, begs to differ. Feeling unsure of her companions, she draws her sword and moves to stand over the leader's body. As Quiella and the elves are arguing, Mel decides to solve part of the moral quandary, particularly regarding himself and the awful things he feels tempted to do, by murdering the female drow as she lays unconscious. Meanwhile, the elf alchemist is dispassionate and disinterested in historical racial enmity between the drow and the elves. But he does take advantage of Quiella being so preoccupied to slip the two corpses a little somethin'-somethin' so they can come back as zombies.

Just as the sorcerer is talking Quiella into letting him weaken the leader drow's saves and subsequently charm him, the elf summoner's eidolon (his big bad summon, so to speak) gets overly curious about the moaning coming from the next room and opens the door, revealing a shadow demon, a mandragora, and two incubi near a chained and beaten elf. They are not so happy to have company, so our interrogation is delayed!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 1st, 2018, 08:37 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Saturday morning I played a first game of DnD with my buddy Brian in his DM debut, and 3 of his friends from church. He had been trying to get them to play for a couple years and finally got it going, with me being the 4th player. We had a lot of fun and I was the Halfling Rogue, and shot a lot of goblins through the eye with my short bow.

I had been involved for a few sessions with Brian and 3 other players, and James in Virginia as the DM on the online roll d20 system and chatting via Google Hangouts. But I only joined that because Brian wasn't sure how long his real in person group would take to get together. But now that he did and I joined in that campaign, I dropped out of the roll d20 group. They were fine with it, as they had been going before I joined in anyway. I just didn't want to be committed to 2 groups and still want to play board games with my group as well as some occasional tabletop miniatures games.

I'm going to be 51 in June and a bit late to the DnD scene, but I think it will be fun. The other guys are 30's and 40's, so none of us are spring chickens.

Below is my response to Toronto in the What Board Game Are You Playing thread when he asked me about me shooting the Goblins in the eye.

It started out early, when my halfling jumped onto a dead horse before attacking a goblin with a short sword. Before rolling the d20, I said, " I'm going to stab him in the eye!" Well I hit with the d20 and did enough damage to kill it. From then on out, as we encountered more goblins near and in a cave, I switched to using my short bow. And before rolling the d20 to hit, I would say, "I'm going to shoot him in the eye!" Well I was really good at hitting, as I only missed once out of like 6 shots. And when I did hit, I always rolled good for damage and killed them. So it became a superstition for me to keep saying that before rolling to hit.

Then I did have one critical vs a bugbear that had been already taken a lot of damage from the rest of the party. Plus it was a sneak attack bonus. So basically 3 dice for damage. The DM let me roll 2 damage dice against the bugbear and since it was enough to finish it off, he let me roll the 3rd damage die against a goblin that was about 10 feet behind the bugbear. I did enough to kill the goblin too. So we joked that it went through the bugbear's eye and into the goblin

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games